Stopped by the local GC to check out the new MIM Fenders...

Midcitysaint

• Members

No doubt, I went into GC last week and was intrigued by the roadworn guitars they had sitting out front. As soon as I picked up a sunburst strat, I put it back down because the frets were hanging over the edge of the fretboard it was barely playable. All of the roadworn guitars (3 strats and 2 teles) they had sitting out there were like that. You'd think while they were sanding the paint off, they could've at least dressed the frets with their sander.

However I did pick up a classic player's 60's strat and was pretty impressed, but not when I saw the price. It seemed to have about the same build quality as my older MIM (which also has CS'69s) that I gave $250 for a few years ago.

• Members

I have an '09 MIM standard and it's pretty much perfect aside from the craptastic pickups. The neck is flawless as is the finish.

And I'm not hating on the MIM standard tele pickups either. I actually have a pair from an 02 that I really like and am going to put into the 09 once my BG pickups order arrives.

• Members

I have an '09 MIM standard and it's pretty much perfect
aside from the craptastic pickups
. The neck is flawless as is the finish.

And I'm not hating on the MIM standard tele pickups either. I actually have a pair from an 02 that I really like and am going to put into the 09 once my BG pickups order arrives.

You mean the pickups dont have the tone you are looking for, because the MIM pickups are far from craptastic.

• Members

I just picked up a Squier Vintage Modified Strat in the red finish - OUTSTANDING guitar. Got it in trade for a Squier Standard Strat, a Rogue PRS clone and a Brownsville Thug. It was well worth the trade (and I didn't get it at GC either - they wouldn't make an even swap!)

You have GOT to PM me when you want to trade.

• Members

I am going to be posting a NGD thread later this week - it is a Squier Deluxe Stratocaster, maple fretboard, made in Indonisia, that just ROCKS :thu:

I am so amazed at the level of QC from a $250 import - other than cleaning the frets, they were PERFECT - no fret sprout or overhang.

Discounting cost, the newer Squiers wipe the floor with the MIMs, IMO.

More later :D

• Members

So do you guys think that the suits over at Fender are reading this or it might be passed down to them and they will take notice? The Fender book is very telling. This same {censored} went down in the late 70's early 80's. They had to completly revamp the company to get anyone to play a new Fender again. Kind of sad.

• Members
So do you guys think that the suits over at Fender are reading this or it might be passed down to them and they will take notice? The Fender book is very telling. This same {censored} went down in the late 70's early 80's. They had to completly revamp the company to get anyone to play a new Fender again. Kind of sad.

Nah - they don't give a {censored} as long as they are making MONEY right now. Like you said, they are suits over at Fender and don't have a clue about what musicians really want. Right now, the "suits" are making the "Road Worn" series - which, in my opinion, are just beat to {censored} - at - the - factory guitars sold new. I have yet to see a reliced 2009 car sold with the same expectations as the suits at Fender expect from these guitars. Epic Fail. Especially with a $949 price tag. SHEESH! Give me a break.

• Members
I am going to be posting a NGD thread later this week - it is a Squier Deluxe Stratocaster, maple fretboard, made in Indonisia, that just ROCKS
:thu:

I am so amazed at the level of QC from a $250 import - other than cleaning the frets, they were PERFECT - no fret sprout or overhang.

More later
:D

Aside from the Affinity Series, most of the Squier guitars are pretty good.:thu:

• Members

Like you said, they are suits over at Fender and don't have a clue about what musicians really want. Right now, the "suits" are making the "Road Worn" series - which, in my opinion, are just beat to {censored} - at - the - factory guitars sold new.

Fortunately for "the suits", your opinion doesn't matter. They must know more than you, because the Road Worn series is selling.

• Members
yeah. I love my 2008 Squier Standard Tele. It plays and sounds so well I don't see the point in paying more for a MIM.

I traded in a few of my less expensive guitars for a Vintage Modified Squier Strat and I am simply amazed. Especially since I had vowed off Squiers earlier.

• Members

I looked over quite a few new Fenders at Gc and a local shop. I did not see any of the issues that the op was discussing. One did have a loose input jack, but everything else looked in order.Mexis seem to be built just like they have for the last few years.

• Members

I traded in a few of my less expensive guitars for a Vintage Modified Squier Strat and I am simply amazed. Especially since I had vowed off Squiers earlier.

I sold my MIM Std. Tele and bought my Squier Std. Tele, which I like a lot more.

At first I never bothered trying out Squiers at the store because I always heard people say they're crap. Then one day I thought why not, and was impressed. Some are bad but that goes for any brand or models. When you find a good Squier they're easily as good as MIMs, and sometimes better.

• Members

I went to the local shop yesterday to try out some acoustics, and they had a handful of the new road worn series. I have never been a fan of relic'd guitars. That being said I was impressed with how authentic some of the guitars looked. I got to play a road worn strat and it just felt like a really good guitar. I may end up buying one.

• Members

Last summer I acquired a '96/'97 MIM Strat (red/ Maple fretboard w/white pickguard) ... for $120. Its in top shape - you'd swear it was virtually brand new.

I've been tempted to sell it, but I'm thinking of a set of Lace Sensors or DiMarzio HS-3s & a refret. There seems to be smaller frets on it than some '60s Gibsons I've played!! After seeing the prices on the Road Worn Series - Im def. going to keep it.

• Members

I am going to be posting a NGD thread later this week - it is a Squier Deluxe Stratocaster, maple fretboard, made in Indonisia, that just ROCKS
:thu:

More later
:D

My Squier Deluxe (white) came in as well and its great. If these were actually available at more places, they would probably get the same amount of press as the CVs. The satin neck is like butter (22 frets to boot), same duncan designed pups that are in the VM and modern 2 pt trem. The only thing I see replacing so far might be the tuners, which are the same as the standards. So far I haven't had a problem with them.

Archived