Pearly Gates or 59? (Duncan)

Reverend Cheese

• Members

Put an alnico Pro II in my PRS. It sounds kinda' flat.

I've got a 59 and a Pearly Gates. I don't want to do this three times. Heck, once was too much, I'm not looking forward to a second pass.

Word is the PG is too bright, others say the 59 is a tad limp as well. Others descibe it as clanky.

These are all for the bridge position by the way.

Thanks a million chaps!

• Members

You talking for the neck or the bridge? Could be either with the p'ups you're listing.

If you're talking about the bridge, I'd try the '59 first. The PG is quite edgie sounding and works better with more overdrive. (like Billy Gibbons/ZZ Top) The '59 in the bridge will be a bit better for cleans and classic rock.

I put a PG bridge in a Yamaha SBG700S but had to have it pulled because even though that guitar is a thick slab of mahogany, it just didn't have a deep mellow enough tone to make the PG work for it. I actually ended up going Gibson 496/500 with that guitar and that is working well. I also had a '59 in the neck and that was too muddy and had to be pulled. Someone here had suggested I just swap them around, and that might have worked, but of course, there's '59s wound for the neck and '59s wound for the bridge and I didn't (like you) want to have one more failed install.

But I did think at that time that I might have been quite happy with a '59 bridge in that guitar.

• Members

Cool, thanks guys. Your replies, just two in number said more than pages of reviews I found here for both models of pickups.

Yeah, it's the bridge by the way GAS Man.

I'm-a gonna' try the 59.

Thanks mucho!

ON EDIT: I really wanted to like the Alnico Pro II. You read those descriptions and think to yourself "This is IT. This is the ONE." But based on those descriptions, you'd buy almost every model these people make. Damn them for being so good at marketing. F*ckers...

• Members

Of course, it depends on what type of tones you're trying to cop and what you're playing through. Not to state the obvious, but I will anyway.

:wave:

The AlNiCo II is one of my favorite neck pickups. Never had one in the bridge but might have played one here or there.

I'd say if you want more bite, I'd go for the Pearly Gates, if you want more warmth, go for the 59.

• Members

Of course, it depends on what type of tones you're trying to cop and what you're playing through. Not to state the obvious, but I will anyway.

:wave:

The AlNiCo II is one of my favorite neck pickups. Never had one in the bridge but might have played one here or there.

I'd say if you want more bite, I'd go for the Pearly Gates, if you want more warmth, go for the 59.

AP2 in the neck and PG in the bridge is nearly the perfect combo in a LP type of guitar, IMO.:thu:

• Members

Wellc ool. Thanks to everyone, especially TLB and AM. TLB, your description is quite helpful. I'll try the PG first. If it sounds good, then it'll stay. Worst case scenario, I'll have installed three pickups.

Hey, Ancient Mariner, are you still telling that rime?

• Members

Add muddy to that description and you've summed up the '59 in the bridge position quite nicely. I had a pair in a Heritage Les Paul, and they were really not great. Try the PG if you must use Duncan PUs.

So... you'd describe the 59 as 'thin' AND 'muddy'?

I honestly don't think I've ever encountered a pickup I'd call 'thin' and 'muddy'.

:idk:

And I've had the SD 59 in two different guitars.

• Members

So... you'd describe the 59 as 'thin' AND 'muddy'?

I honestly don't think I've ever encountered a pickup I'd call 'thin' and 'muddy'.

:idk:

And I've had the SD 59 in two different guitars.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose. From my particular experience, the 59 is warm and articulate in the neck and almost Gretsch like in the bridge. Definitely my favorite neck pu. I think it sometimes gets a bad rap because it is not as scooped in the mids as a true PAF type. Of course guitar type and pickup height all come into play as far as individual assessments are concerned.

• Members

The Plus is a different pickup though.

yeah i haven't heard the actual pg but i hear its great. i really like the pg+ for articulate notes. i have a les paul vintage mahogany and while it does have a great thick lead tone i prefer the pg+ for the songs where you want to hear each note clearly. great for zztop covers as well. of course it doesnt sound just like billy but close enough that no one would complain. i hear that the 59 sings in a lp but im not really in love with it in my strat.

• Members

Wellc ool. Thanks to everyone, especially TLB and AM. TLB, your description is quite helpful. I'll try the PG first. If it sounds good, then it'll stay. Worst case scenario, I'll have installed three pickups.

Hey, Ancient Mariner, are you still telling that rime?

I would if the albatross didn't get in the way.

FWIW I replaced the SDs first with GFS '59s, which were much better balanced and clearer, though a little characterless, then with a Gibson patent number in the bridge and a T top in the neck. I could hear where the duncans were coming from with those PUs, but they managed to be bright without being shrill, smooth and warm without muddiness.

TBH those duncan '59s were some of the worst pickups I've heard anywhere, apart from really cheap stuff. Obviously some love them and they might suit certain guitars better, but they don't work for me. I did try one in a V and again, it was plain nasty. But I sold them on and had no complaints. I do like Dimarzios, but guess I'm not a Duncan fan.

• Members

if you look at SD's tone chart, the specs on PG and 59 are extremely similar... like, extremely. I don't know if specs are everything but I'd say either are fine

I noticed that as well. I was once told that the resonant peak has a greater effect on tone than any other aspect of the pickup itself. I don't know how true that is though.

I would if the albatross didn't get in the way.

I'm convinced that in time the original author of that will be forgotten, and Iron Maiden will be believed to be the actual writers of that piece.

They did a better job in many ways...

Archived