How many here play guitar thru a bass amp?

KATMAN

• Members

The only guitar amp I have is a Peavey transtube 212 EFX,that I keep at church. It's not a bad sounding amp for a solid state,and I like the added effects.At home I have a little Peavey minx bass amp.It's about seven years old and hardly been played.I plugged in my Tele and really loved the deep bassy sound it produced.Now I want to bring my guitar amp home and use the bass amp.What effects would produce great sounds out of the bass amp?

• Members

Not something I do regularly, but I did for a while play my Epi LP through my Vox T-25. Nice, full clean sound.... I just plugged in a decent OD pedal for dirt..... not much of a one for effects these days but I think I also tried a phaser and soem other bits with no problem.

• Members

I have when needed and or I have come across a cool old bass amp type deal. These days I am more likely to play a bass through a guitar amp though....don't worry folks.... it's only for house/recording levels. You would be surprised how nice a bass ( with flats) sounds through the accordion input of an old Ampeg Reverberocket.

• Members

Some of the most popular guitar amps out there were designed with the intention of being bass amps.

Stick with the classic rule: If it sounds good, it is good.

Don't even worry about pedals and bring that bass amp to church! :thu:

• Members

All i have is bass amps. The old TNT100, a Ampeg portoflex flip top, and alittle fender student model with a single 12. The flip top really is exceptional. Its been re speakered with a JBL.

Only real men use the ampeg flip-top, ha.

Those are legendary amps, are they not? I see them being modeled often.

• Members

The only three paying gigs I've played outside of school, I played through an Ampeg Bass amp with the treble cranked.

I've played through some cheaper bass amps but usually quality bass amps don't sound very good with guitar to my ears.

I certainly don't see where it would hurt anything. I think if I had a bass amp and was looking to buy effects specifically to make it work, I'd probably get a cheap guitar amp. But if I was dedicated to making the bass amp work in a guitar context, I'd get a low gain OD pedal and an EQ. Or maybe a basic multifx like the Zoom G2 or Digitech RP150. If you don't use the cabinet modeling with the Zoom, you get a 6 band EQ.

• Members

The BEST tone I ever had was my late 60's Fender Bassman CRANKED. I was in college and brought it to a jam session. As always the volume in the room got ridiculous and I dimed the Bassman. NIRVANA! My Les Paul Deluxe came to life. STUPIDLY, I sold it ( I think it was 40 watts) for a 100 watt solid state Acoustic I had just seen Steve Winwood using in Traffic at the Fillmore. Crummy clean solid state tone and the 'fuzz' circuit sucked! I hang my head in shame.

• Members

STUPIDLY, I sold it ( I think it was 40 watts) for a 100 watt solid state Acoustic I had just seen Steve Winwood using in Traffic at the Fillmore.

I forgot about the Acoustic amps. I grew up on Long Island and bunch of people were using these in the early 70's. I always thought they sounded a bit sterile but didn't say much since everybody else seemed to like them.

Kind of an aside - I remember someone saying around '72-'73 Acoustic amps were great for playing clean sounds like Allman brothers! I remember thinking "This doesn't sound anything like the Allman brothers." Such is the nature of group-speak.

• Members

My Fender Bassman 20 is great. I am trying to find the right complementary Tube Screamer type pedal to put it over the top. I have an old TS-5 that is okay but I think I could use more. I am looking onto the Analogman mod 808 or TS-9 or something. Anyone try more than one of these mods and have a feel for what they do. They all grade out good but which one comparatively does what. They cannot all be the same/do the same after the mods. I am want to achieve that Gary Moore type sound crisp and creamy without being too gainy (but it sounds like that with the mods it could be achieved without being too fake). I want to let the guitar (double cut type with decent buckers) and the amp speak but put a little bit of omph in there. I can dime all of the dials on the bassman and it still rings true (so loud for one 10" speaker) with no breakup even with my dirtiest sounding guitar all the way open.

Archived