What Fender Strat neck is close to Squier '51 ?

woodsmandan

• Members

I said it here before, i LOVE my '51...now i need a Strat, but i want a neck like the '51

...i have a mexican Tele, the neck is ok but a lot flater, i really dig the '51 neck, wich Strat would have one close to it ?

i really like the '51 bigger frets also, the ones on my Tele feels so tiny now...

Any advice other than buying another '51, a Squier Strat and swapping necks ?

• Members

Oh this is a switch..... It's usually "Which (insert cheap import brand here) neck is most like a (insert expensive American made guitar brand here) ?"

Best advice is to take your '51 to GC, then A/B it with a bunch of Fenders. From the looks of it, it's gonna be a Tele that has the most similar neck.

• Members

Originally posted by RaVenCAD

Oh this is a switch..... It's usually "Which (insert cheap import brand here) neck is most like a (insert expensive American made guitar brand here) ?"

Best advice is to take your '51 to GC, then A/B it with a bunch of Fenders. From the looks of it, it's gonna be a Tele that has the most similar neck.

...i know, i'm growing backwards...i was brought up on a Gibson SG, than i got a Mexi Tele that put the Gibby in the closet, and now that '51 gets most of my playin time...i don't quite get it myself...

..but no GC near or around here, that's why i wanted a ballpark opinion on what kind of neck profile/radius the '51 was related to, is it close to the Fender Classic series, that kind of stuff, so i'll know what to check out on my next journey in the big city.

• Members

The 51 has a "C" neck profile 9 1/2" radius with medium jumbo frets. You probably have the smaller "vintage" frets on the MIM tele. Most of the MIM strats have "vintage" frets. Maybe a HWY 1 USA ? Or even the lite ash strat from korea.

• Members

thanks, i'll sure check into the Highway 1 Strat...but i noticed on fender's site that the standard Tele neck is modern C shape, 91/2 radius and medium jumbo frets....but my standard tele is far from having medium jumbo, am i right?...did Fender change the frets on the standards recently?

• Members

Originally posted by woodsmandan

thanks, i'll sure check into the Highway 1 Strat...but i noticed on fender's site that the standard Tele neck is modern C shape, 91/2 radius and medium jumbo frets....but my standard tele is far from having medium jumbo, am i right?...did Fender change the frets on the standards recently?

Yes, the new Mex standards just switched to Med jumbo frets. The Squier 51 states modern C shape like most other Fender electrics, but it is certainly a little chunkier than most others listed as modern C. The new Mex Standard Strat will be listed as 9.5 radius, med jumbo frets, modern C etc., but I'm sure the neck will be a little thinner than the 51 if you check it out.

• Members

I think the '51 neck is supposed to be off a tele. Not just the headstock.

When I went to check them out it seemed a little narrower than a regular strat. Since I've never played a tele I figured they were just like that.

BTw I passed on the '51. Got a squire std strat w amber satin. Just to mess around with (gas!) It just "felt" better.

DH

• 3 years later...
  • Members

Hi,

I've a '51 too and, as Woodsmandan, I love the neck. I have other guitars I've paid ten times or more the price of the 51 but the necks are not so good for me.

I'm looking now for a blond tele and I've tried today :

- tele road worn

- 52 reissue

- baja

- squier classi vibe

- highway 1 upgrade

no one's got a neck as fine as the 51... perhaps the squier but with a flatter fingerboard (9.5 radius)

maybe the american standard I haven't tried.

Whan I look at the specifications of all these models, it's always a "C shape" (excepted the 52 and baja : U shape) however it's not exactly the same, not so comfortable...

a telecaster with the same neck as the '51 doesn't exist ?

thx

• Members

I thought the 50's necks were similar to the modern "c-shaped" necks...have you tried one of the 50's Squires (Classic Vibe)? Worth a shot...

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-CLASSIC-VIBE-Stratocaster-50s-Electric-Guitar-?sku=519338

Or, here's one on Ebay...make him an offer...could get it CHEAP!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Squire-Classic-Vibe-60s-Stratocaster-gig-bag_W0QQitemZ260382976956QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item260382976956&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318

• Members

I thought the 50's necks were similar to the modern "c-shaped" necks...have you tried one of the 50's Squires (Classic Vibe)? Worth a shot...

Thx

Yes I've tried and the classic wibe neck was the nearest of the 51 but with a fingerboard a little bit flatter (9.5 radius).

I sill have to try the 50's MIM (as saied by lowbrow) and the american standard to compare.

What about japan models (more chunky vintage necks) ?

• Members

Or, here's one on Ebay...make him an offer...could get it CHEAP!

That eBay CV is a 60's, and they are not chunky - at least mine isn't.

• Members

I keep a database on my guitars (I know, I'm neurotic), mostly so I can keep track of what relief, string height, and string brand I'm using for a particular guitar. Whenever I change strings I check the relief and string height against the database. I also take the neck measurements when I first put the axe in the database: my Squier '51's neck is .870" at the 1st fret, .870" at the 6th fret, and .900" at the 12th. That's a fairly chunky neck shape. In comparison, a modern Fender MIA Strat or Tele generally is .780-.800" at the first fret and .850" at the 12th. Closest neck in my database are a MIM Strat and MIM Tele, which have almost identical proportions and are also C-shaped: both are .860" at the 1st fret and .900" at the 12th. They're both from 2006.

• Members

I like the fender "C" necks. I think several of the imports had this neck profile, and even the Squier tele that I have now seems very close to it. I know that the MIM 60's reissue strats had that neck shape, for a while.

:idk:

• Members

Squier Deluxe Strat: http://www.music123.com/Squier-by-Fender-Deluxe-Strat-Electric-Guitar-517231-i1389949.Music123

GREAT guitar for the money; the neck is satin heaven.

EDIT: It appears the Pewter color (which is really Pearl White Metallic) is on backorder until JUNE :eek: - I hope that doesn't mean they are discontinuing these :( . I may have to add the Daphne Blue one to my Pewter...

• Members

I keep seeing the term "Fender modern C" shape bandied about as if it uniformly and accurately described all modern Fender necks. The only thing uniform is the C profile - it doesn't really describe the thickness of the neck for one guitar model vs. another. The profile on the MIM's is described as "modern C", but if you measure the profile at the 1st, 6th and 12th frets, you'll find the thickness isn't the same as on an MIA. Fender is notoriously careless in its use of C, U, V etc. to describe neck profiles. The neck on my American Deluxe Ash Tele is described at the Fender site as "U shape", and since they obviously designed the guitar to look like a '52 Reissue, you might think it would have the fairly chunky neck of that guitar, which is also described as U-shaped. It's not even close. The neck on the AD Ash Tele - much to my chagrin - feels and measures almost exactly the same as a regular MIA Tele or Strat. When you're talking about a neck as thin as on the MIA's (they're not that much thicker than a Wizard II), U vs. C becomes almost irrelevant. There's not enough wood to really distinguish the profile.

Archived