The Best DAW Software

the stranger

• Members

Sequoia is/was from Samplitude? Supposed to sound good...?
:)

Sequoia is the flagship program from Magix. Samplitude has about 95% of the capacity of Sequoia and cost a third as much. It's a great sounding program (both have the same audio engine). Sequoia allows you to record full def video at the same time as multi track audio, saving me a great deal of time when doing remotes and helping speed the post process as I don't have to wait on video from the post house before I start mixing for a concert DVD.

Disclosure - I work for Magix from time to time doing demos at various trade shows and beta testing.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think someones going to make some big bucks one of these days coming up with designer skins for these programs. As with all there are certain things you never use or at least rarely. Having the ability to mask those functions, rearrange things so they are more user friendly or just clicking on some different arrangements on the skins would be nice. Having different skins for recording and mixing would be nice as well.

That's one thing I like about Sonar. I use the customization features a lot. In fact, I created a template+layout that turns it into a digital audio editor - check out the picture. I also created a "master section" a la Wavelab. I even changed the menu commands and order to be just like Sound Forge, because I'm so used to it.

• Members

I use Cubase SX. At the time I bought it, it was faster than Sonar. It seemed to use fewer clock cycles....I could mix while the music was still playing. This has probably changed over the past 5 years. I may still use Sonar for some projects because of the different sounds and synths it has.

Dan

• Members

Record in Garageband and mix in Logic 8. I wish I still had the option of using Vision RIP (I still hold that against Henry). I have PT LE. It is (no pun) logical, but not a quick work flow layout (IMHO).

Really every package out there is powerful. I think a lot of ones preference has to do with learning style and "the way you're wired". To that end, if I want to give myself a headache, I just have to look at Cubase or Live.

I'll, also, evoke a Craig Anderton quote from a clinic I attended in the 90's "The sequencer you know best is the one you like best". Since those sequencers he discussed have become DAWs, I'd imply the quote still rings true. Hey Craig, do you remember that saying?

Happy Early New Year!!!
Tim

• Members
Record in Garageband and mix in Logic 8. I wish I still had the option of using Vision RIP (I still hold that against Henry).

Interestingly, I asked him once at a Nashville show what the deal was with StudioVision. He said that redoing the code to deal with the conversion to OS X was a lot more than he anticipated, and he didn't have the programming resources to do it. If Apple had stayed with OS 9 a while longer, StudioVision would probably still be around...

I'll, also, evoke a Craig Anderton quote from a clinic I attended in the 90's "The sequencer you know best is the one you like best". Since those sequencers he discussed have become DAWs, I'd imply the quote still rings true. Hey Craig, do you remember that saying?

Sure do! Actually the quote was "The sequencer you like is the sequencer you know" but your take on it is just as valid :)

• Members

Its interesting but I don`t think anyone has responded that LIVE is their favorite. I have LIVE Lite and though I`ve tried to work with it, it too gives me a headache and I end up all frustrated with it. Just wondering if its just me.

I like and use Live, but not really as a full DAW. It bothers me that Live, Acid and FL keep trying to move towards DAW status as that seems to dilute what made them special. The result is more like bloat.

For me, Live is for playing, Acid is for arranging, and FL is for beats. But when it comes to finishing a song Sonar still does everything I need, and is much better as a linear arranger than Live. The truth that many Live fanatics forget, a finished song IS linear.

• Members

I use, Sonar, which was a direct outgrowth of Cakewalk Pro Audio... Since a lot of my work starts as midi, Sonar works for me... However, my brother recently started to use Reaper and he told me about the routing capabilities and varispeed, and I'm thinking of looking into that for audio mixing purposes...

• Members

Its interesting but I don`t think anyone has responded that LIVE is their favorite. I have LIVE Lite and though I`ve tried to work with it, it too gives me a headache and I end up all frustrated with it. Just wondering if its just me.

LIVE was bundled with my EMU sound device. It is a strange looking animal. I saw them making nice music with it at NAMM but it works different than what I'm "used to".

Dan

• Members

I was using Personnel Composer to create and run sequences on stage pushing 2 TX7's and a Yamaha drum machine by way of a Roland MIDI interface card. When DOS 3.1 came out I thought I was in Heaven because sequencing was getting easier. A band member owned the equipment and the program. I did the sequencing.

When I left the band and finally could afford my own computer, I went to my favorite music dealer and he recommended a new program called Cakewalk. I still have Cakewalk vs. 1 on 3 1/2" floppy. It was so much easier to use than Jim Miller's Personnel Composer. Over time my system evolved. With Cakewalk, MIDI Yoke, Techno Toys, Seer System Reality, and a new Roland JV80 I was bridging the gap between software and hardware.

Since that time there has been 18 versions of Cakewalk/Sonar. I've played with Reason, Live, Acid, Logic, Orion, and lots of other DAW's but always return to Cakewalk to supply my main DAW. To think that 20-25 years ago I was sequencing without a mouse, using macros and arrow keys to input input every note, velocity, length and tie.

Currently, Sonar 8 Producer on a XP Quad machine with loads of VSTi's, UAD-2 quad, stack of keyboards and a half dozen table top synths. MacBookPro with Live. Vista laptop with Acid Pro 7 and Reason. MOTU audio and MIDI interfaces.

Wow - Personal Composer / Jim Miller (RIP) - I had that for a little while (I have thing for notation...) but that was an impossible program to handle and had the biggest manual I'd ever seen. Before that I had Texture (Roger Powell) - had a lot of fun with that. Then I saw Notator / Atari, and sold everything - I had to have it. Then began the whole Logic PC thing.

Then Emagic shat upon me and now after Music Creator and Sonar Home Studio 6 XL (which considering their prices and the fact that they have notation editing and groove clips are fantastic values) I'm about ready to install Sonar 8 PE (haven't registered it yet).

I still have Logic envy - but I'm not going Mac and it seems like some things are not as easy to accomplish in Logic as they are on other DAW's.. Then Pro Tools 8 came out with better MIDI and notation - I'm really wondering what that's going to be like, but I can't see going with RTAS and iLok, so it's looking pretty much like I'm going to learn the in's and out's of Sonar and really get to know it and make it my central DAW. If it turns out to be too bloated, I've still got Sonar HS6XL and even Reaper (both of which can take advantage of all or most of the VST and DX plugs which came with PE...)

I think its time to start making music!!!

• Members

Then Pro Tools 8 came out with better MIDI and notation - I'm really wondering what that's going to be like, but I can't see going with RTAS and iLok, so it's looking pretty much like I'm going to learn the in's and out's of Sonar and really get to know it and make it my central DAW. If it turns out to be too bloated, I've still got Sonar HS6XL and even Reaper (both of which can take advantage of all or most of the VST and DX plugs which came with PE...)

I think its time to start making music!!!

I know you said you're not going down the RTAS/iLok route, but for those who are interested in PT 8, there's been a thread going on about some of the new features in Phil's forum.

• Members
I know you said you're not going down the RTAS/iLok route, but for those who are interested in PT 8, there's been a
thread going on about some of the new features in Phil's forum.

Regarding PT 8, I've been telling myself "must not look, turn away..."

It really looks nice though. Clean interface, elastic pitch and audio, nice notation features... Almost looks like Logic on a PC :facepalm: Somebody tell me Sonar 8 PE is where I should be on a home studio PC!!!

The M-Powered PT 8 actually looks pretty affordable, but those RTAS plugs seem really expensive.

I've also heard that PT has less audio drop-outs than Sonar - but I'm sure it comes down to system configuration, right? right? ...

It figures, just when you think you've made your mind up, something comes along and changes everything.

• Members

I've also heard that PT has less audio drop-outs than Sonar - but I'm sure it comes down to system configuration, right? right? ...

It figures, just when you think you've made your mind up, something comes along and changes everything.

I know nothing about Sonar, although it seems people keep saying that it sounds really good. And although I use PT exclusively, I'm not emotionally tied to it in any way. It simply works for me, although not without its quirks.

As far as RTAS being expensive, I really don't know. A lot of the stuff I've purchased has been cheap.

I purchased the Waves Renaissance bundle for $300 many years ago (although I recently had to upgrade V4 by spending an additional $200, but bear in mind that I was leaping quite a few years into the future with my upgrade), so considering what you are getting for the bundle, that's not too expensive at all. I thought upgrading them was a bit of a pain in the ass, and I had to get iLok, which I'm still not too sure about...:D I don't know if this bundle is still available for this price.

Also, check out the Massey plugins. They're cheap but high-quality. I've never met Massey, but I just may be developing a man-crush on him. :D

And finally, I have the FXPansion VST-RTAS wrapper, which I got with the MellowMuse ATA (latency compensation plugin, which you will probably need if you multi-track live drums, as PT sucks for not having any latency compensation in LE programs!) for $49. This allows you to use most VST plugins (some dependent on whether you use Mac or PC, and a scant few dependent on the alignment of the stars or whether you've been nice to your mother).

This allowed me to get the Stillwell Vibe EQ for $29 or however much it cost, as well as a bunch of free VST plugins (there's not that many RTAS plugins that are free, comparatively speaking).

• Members
I've also heard that PT has less audio drop-outs than Sonar - but I'm sure it comes down to system configuration, right? right?

Right. I don't get dropouts in Sonar or PT.

I'm downloading PT8 in the background right now...given that it's about 3GB, I may be saying the same thing tomorrow :)

Archived