if you opened a guitar store.....

cerebrix

• Members

what brands would you carry? its your shop. what do YOU think people are buying these days?

keep it realistic though. lets say you have enough capital to carry 4 guitar lines, 4 amp lines, and 4 pedal / effects lines.

for me. id pick...

Gibson / Epiphone

Suhr

Hanser brands (michael kelly, bc rich, rockfield)

Paul Reed Smith

Orange

Peavey (i guess i could double up amps here)

Roland

Bugera

Fractal Audio Systems

Rocktron

Boss

Danelectro

• Members

what brands would you carry? its your shop. what do YOU think people are buying these days?

keep it realistic though. lets say you have enough capital to carry 4 guitar lines, 4 amp lines, and 4 pedal / effects lines.

for me. id pick...

Gibson / Epiphone

Suhr

Hanser brands (michael kelly, bc rich, rockfield)

Paul Reed Smith

Orange

Peavey (i guess i could double up amps here)

Roland

Bugera

Fractal Audio Systems

Rocktron

Boss

Danelectro

Fender / Squier

Hamer

Ibanez

Yamaha

Fender

Mesa

Vox

Marshall

YTaynor

• Members

Fender / Squier

Hamer

Ibanez

Yamaha

Fender

Mesa

Vox

Marshall

YTaynor

Wouldn't you want to do a better job offering somethin other than the GC brands. I agree that you need to carry Fender but why not try carrying Peavy, Dr. Z, Godin. Keep Traynor and Yamaha and you prolly gotta have line6 stuff. In my dreams I would run a used gear shop and carry everything I could get my hands on. Prolly not a lot of money in it but I would love to have a store like Guitar Maniacs in tacoma WA.

• Members

I'm convinced that if you can sell:

US Music Corp (Parker, Washburn etc) - guitars and basses

Roland/Boss - keyboard, recording, drums

Fender/Squier/Fender accessories - guitars, amps, basses strings etc

Line 6 - effects and amps

You can make it.

HOWEVER,

I tried this very thing...opening a store...3 years ago. What you WANNA sell and what they will LET you sell are two entirely different things, but I don't think this thread is about reality in the musical instrument business.

• Members

I would probably try and carry some brands that aren't that well represented in the area. Of course my shop would probably fail miserably for that very reason.

But for guitars I'm thinking

Reverend

Washburn (see a lot of shops with their acoustics but their electrics are really overlooked).

Vox

Lace

St. Blues

Yamaha

I'm sure I'd also try and carry Fender/Squire and Gibson/Epiphone since there are a lot of people who won't look at anything but those brands.

• Members

I'd only carry used guitars.
:)

Gotta agree.....though maybe not to the extent of selling only used gear, but I'd really concentrate heavily on that end. Nothing I hate more than going into a store and seeing the same old Fender/Gibson/PRS stuff all over the place.

• Members

I don't think 4 guitar brands is enough if you expect to offer a decent selection of acoustics and electrics.

Personally, I'd try to make sure I covered the following areas:

Steel string acoustics

Classical acoustics

electric humbucker

electric single coil

electric metal

electric jazz/semi-hollow

and in all cases I need to cover the range from entry level to premium quality.

Can I adequately cover all those areas with 4 brands? Maybe.

1. Gibson/Epi

2. Fender/Squier

3. Ibanez or Schecter

4. PRS, LTD or Peavey

That leaves out acoustics. Gotta have:

1. Martin

2. Taylor

3. Yamaha or Takamine

For amps:

1. Fender

2. Marshall

3. Peavey

4. Mesa or some high end brand.

Effects?

1. MXR

2. Digitech

3. Boss

4. Some boutique brand

One thing I'd try to do is select companies that offer more than just one type of product. That way even if I only stock their guitars, I could order their amps, or vise versa. That gives me access to more product even if I don't keep it in stock.

• Members

For guitars-

Esp/ltd

fender

gibson

ibanez

For amps-

Peavey

Fender

Marshall

Mesa

Effects-

Boss

digitech

Danlectro

Electro-Harmonix

I think these brands would keep me in business. I would also carry alot of lesser known brands, but since you only allow me 4 in each catagory, these are the ones I would go with.

• Members

For guitars-

Esp/ltd

fender

gibson

ibanez

For amps-

Peavey

Fender

Marshall

Mesa

Effects-

Boss

digitech

Danlectro

Electro-Harmonix

I think these brands would keep me in business. I would also carry alot of lesser known brands, but since you only allow me 4 in each catagory, these are the ones I would go with.

You basically just opened a Guitar Center =P

• Members

I'd just take my money and throw it out the car window at 65mph.

It would save the hassle of filing all those bankruptcy papers.

There's the realistic answer.

Having said that, if I had to open a retail store, I'd probably specialize in high-end acoustics and sell to snorkledicks. I'd also probably stock mandolins and banjos, too.

• Members

Gotta agree.....though maybe not to the extent of selling only used gear, but I'd really concentrate heavily on that end. Nothing I hate more than going into a store and seeing the same old Fender/Gibson/PRS stuff all over the place.

+1

Used is the way to go. Too much big box competition for the mainstream brands. I would do this today if I could find the gear to buy! Mostly I would like to do mid-level stuff with some higher end items here and there when you can get it right. Buy, Sell and Trade. Pay a little more than the pawn shops, know what you are talking about and deal fair and I think you could make it! :thu:

• Members

How do you make a small fortune in musical retail?

Start with a large fortune.

I've been in wholesale nearly 20 years, and in retail for a decade before that. The above answers are typical of people who are in it for the love of the gear, and not business people.

Get lines that are not well represented in your area, or on the web. You're just going to be dealing with dicks who know the price of everything, and the value of nothing, matching website pricing because you can't explain that your service has a value, and that the customer can leave today with an instrument that they have played and inspected in hand, with the bonus of set-ups, lessons, accessories and the like, instead of waiting 2 weeks for Gawd knows what to show up ojn the doorstep with no setup, another 4 week process for the service issues, and relying on luck of the draw. You'll just be a showroom for some jerk to sell the same item online for a 5% markup.

• Members

If pure volume and internet sales allowed me a decent enough price break I would consider being a dedicated dealer of 1-2 high-end, popular brands that GC doesn't touch Like Jackson USA (non-imports), etc.

Otherwise, I would look into some decent but hungry luthiers and broker a deal on their line or a set number of pieces and showcase their brands. Thus, the shop would have a reputation for bringing forth affordable customs from up and coming luthiers and maybe 1 or 2 lines of an established well-priced line from a small company.

When faced with spending $899 for a clearance priced, fingerprinted Gibson V in Heritage Cherry with 3 dings (that went for $999 for 6 months as it sat there collecting prints and dings) or spending $1,199 for a US-made honeyburst or Korina V from a luthier who brokered a deal with me for 25-50 of them in a year, the business may have some appeal.

The problem would be the hit or miss nature of the business. If it worked at all, luthiers would do this as a sacrifice to get exposure and recognition. Once they became a sensation, there would be little impetus to deal on the same terms, so I would have to look for 1-2 new luthiers every year or so. The other issue would be if for a year or two that 4 out of the 5 stocked luthiers/lines were more miss than hit. That could chill the business all together.

• Members

I'd only carry used guitars.
:)

The more I think about it the more I really like your answer. I'd love a shop with vintage and near-vintage gear, especially the more affordable stuff like 80's MIJ fenders and the like.

• Members

The more I think about it the more I really like your answer. I'd love a shop with vintage and near-vintage gear, especially the more affordable stuff like 80's MIJ fenders and the like.

That's a great idea.

You could also offer to sell stuff for musicians on consignment, or hold items as collateral against small cash loans.

Maybe you could even expand your business to include things like car audio, jewelry and guns.

OH {censored}ING HELL

YOU OWN A {censored}ING PAWN SHOP

YOU {censored}ING GENIUS

Archived