Stratocaster players,what string gauge do you use?

KATMAN

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If you try 9's on your Strat and find they're a bit too light you could always try D'addario 9.5's.

I go back and forth between GHS 9.5 and D'addario Pure Nickel 10-45. Just discovered both sets and am diggin' 'em. I really like the sound of the Pure's.

• Members

I like 10-46 on a strat, but I do use as low of an action as I can get without tone interfering fret buzz.

If you are planning on raising the action, then I do think it'd be worthwhile trying the lighter gauge.

I do think that it is so true that the lighter gauges will bring out so much more of the nuances of your playing. I leave some of my HB guitars set up with 9-42 and I find that when I pick them up I just naturally start doing more mash bends of chords and things like that which add more texture. It's just like, the easier it is to bend, then the more likely you will add bends and vibrato.

It'd be nice if you could have thick strings for your picking hand and thin strings for your fretting hand.

• Members

I like these too.. I love the smoothness and they last. Some argue you lose highs, but I say they sound like they are a week old for 3 months.

I've been using DR Blacks,or the coated strings. They last a long time as well.I've used Elixers on acoustic,but never electric.Maybe I'll give it a try someday.

• Members

I ran Slinky 10-46 on all my electrics, but last time I restrung my ibanez I tried the Power Slinky 11-48 and I love them. By the next day bending the new strings felt just as natural as the 10s but I got rid of that thin sounding high e string. Next time I re-string my strat I'll probably try those power slinkys, and next time I restring my ibanez I may go to the 11-52 slinkys.

• Members

Just switched to D'Addarios 9-42 from 10-46.

I like the extra flexibility for bending, but there's definitely a tonal deficit. The 10's sounded fuller and displayed more of the guitar's character. I may switch back yet.

Archived