Famous Solid State amp users

Cymro#1

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Y

Which amps are you talking about then? are you saying that the cleans on a Line 6 Spider sound better than the ones on a Vintage Fender Twin?

Maybe - what I am talking about are good quality SS amps with nice clean tones (and those are USA build Fenders from the 90's, and the Roland JC 120 from the 80's).:thu:

• Members

What!?! No Peavey!?! I would have thought that there would be 20 or 30 country pickers on there. I've been using Peavey Bandits and Special 130's for the past several decades. Great sound and nearly indestructable.

I think I read somewhere that Luther Allison of the Mississippi All Stars uses a Special 130.

Still a work in progress! I've been slowly compiling the list and have tried to do a bit a research on each entry to make sure it's a valid claim.

You're thinking of Luther Dickinson who now also plays with the Black Crowes. I'll add him after I verify.

• Members
Yes, but how many of them are famous? (as per the thread title)

/QUOTE]

Well, all of them are famous within their own environment (define famous, micro or macro?) If you think you are famous then you are famous;)

• Members

Bloodhound Gang hybrid

Alt/pop rockers The Bloodhound Gang are getting ready to embark on a year-long US/European tour starting in September. Guitarist Lupus explains why his Marshall MODE FOUR amp will be accompanying him throughout the tour, "I'm very proud of having moved to Marshall; my previous amps just didn't give me what I wanted in terms of hard, skull crushing distortion with a beautiful clean. The balls-out distortion I've got going now makes me very happy, and the clean channel has done wonders for our live sound. I'm not a tech guy when it comes to amps, but I know this: turn on a Marshall and it'll sound better than anything out there. Spend five minutes twisting knobs and you'll sound better than half the records out there."

MODE FOUR can also be heard on their new album Hefty Fine (Geffen Records), which will be released on September 27, on upcoming TV performances and on the video for their new single, "Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo," currently airing on MTV and Fuse. For more information, please visit www.bloodhoundgang.com.

• Members

Well, all of them are famous within their own environment (define famous, micro or macro?) If you think you are famous then you are famous;)

Well if you define it as being famous enough to have put a few albums out then I think most of the players in that category would have used tube amps, I'm also wondering how many of the guitarists mentioned in the thread are using Solid State amps on the road for reasons of reliability but still using tube amps in the studio.

I'm not bashing solid state amps either - in fact if someone could build one with the warmth, responsiveness and loudness of tubes and solid state clarity and reliability I'd buy one without hesitation.

• Members

Wasn't it some sort of SS PA head that he used? Can't remember exactly what it was, but I know I read it somewhere.

ya I think a yamaha ...BTW he's the only one I know of that only plays SS, most others in this thread use both it seems.

• Members

Not the majority, but a lot. Basses on their own are very "Warm" sounding and tend to be clean more often than not, so it's not as necessary. You can DI a Bass and have it sound decent.

Actually, I would say a vast majority. Modern professional bass rigs generally have more incommon with a PA than a guitar amp often offering 500 + watts, can't do that in a very managble way with tubes. Even the Ampeg SVT line is now primarily hybrid with a solid state power amp. Bass players are far less driven by "mojo" and accepting of modern technology than guitarists.

• Members

Not the majority, but a lot. Basses on their own are very "Warm" sounding and tend to be clean more often than not, so it's not as necessary. You can DI a Bass and have it sound decent.

I'm still sticking with "majority", sorry. Most shows and concerts I attend, the bass player is using Solid State gear. In fact, I find it rare to see a bass player with a tube amp.

• Members

Hmm I know quite a few bassists using tube gear, though I'm full well able to accept I'm probably wrong.

I do like the mentality bassists have a bit more. Luckily the guitarist I jam with is like that(probably because he plays bass too). He loves my microcube.

• Members

Those Norwegian death metal bands, those charming panda bears who kill tourists, worship satan etc. recrded mostly with Peavey solid state amps with the scratchy distortion.

Actually its Crate they tend to use. My old band opened for a couple of touring death metal bands (Anal Blast and Malevolent Creation) and there were Marshall MGs and Crates up on the stage. I left before either played so I don't know which band used what.

Now my rig is a combination -- I play a tube head and a solid state combo. The Sunn combo off to the side is a Betal Lead and is pushing the Hartke 4x12 and it is maybe the loudest amp you ever heard. I had it on 1 at practice the other night and we had to undo the top cab because it was killing our ears:

fullstack.jpg

Archived