Famous Solid State amp users

Cymro#1

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Last time I saw Steve Howe he was playing Line6. That was an Asia gig not Yes.

I saw him with Yes (or at least some band calling themselves Yes, without Jon Anderson or Rick Wakeman) a few months ago. Steve Howe was using a Line 6 amp and a Line 6 Variax guitar for acoustic parts. He sounded good.

• Members

Greg Ginn

First guy that came to mind.

I think the most important thing to remember is that, whether live or on a studio recording, 99.999% of the people listening won't know or care, or be able to even tell the difference between tubes and SS.

• Members

I admire the extensive solid state amp user list above and I greatly admire a lot of those artists that are listed - but listening to those specific recordings that I've heard only confirms for me why tube amps are USUALLY better sounding by quite a degree. Lifeson, Santana, Townsend, and a couple of those other specific instances listed were times that are not the best examples of their guitar tone.

I do appreciate some of the well known desireable properties of solid state amps...instant on/off and no tube maintenance.

• Members

When I was a teenager I had an L5, then I bought a Boogie. Night and Day. I guess it works for BB King since he likes a very compressed sound and the L5 has it in spades, even with the built in compressor off.

• Members

Holy Shiiiiit!!! Mr Chen seems to be a walking encycolpedia of solid state tone.

Here is an odd one....I have an early 90s recording of BB King playing in a PBS special and he is plugged into a (drumroll please)....... Marshall MG100.

Shows it up close, no mistake.

• Members

Yngwie Malmsteen (boosted with TS9 for convention and clinic use, reported shot an instructional video using one)

Not to bash solid state amps in general but yeah I've heard Yngwie play at a Fender clinic/convention thing where he had to use all Fender gear and oh man... You could feel the depression sweep over everyone when his tone was heard. Might as well have been a Marshall commercial showing you what happens to Yngwie without them

• Members

Ok, we have pinpointed the small handfull of solid state users. Now let's list all the tube amp players. GO!!

Replies like this really piss me off. This thread in general rubs me the wrong way, too many negative replies.

I'm sick of people insisting on there being only one path to tone. It's not that Solid State sound worse(except with cheap amps), it's that it sounds different.

• Members

Ok, we have pinpointed the small handfull of solid state users. Now let's list all the tube amp players. GO!!

If we take every guitarist in the world the bulk play SS.

PS: SS any day for a clean tone over tube (although Marshall SS clean sound is an absolute disgrace).

• Members

If we take every guitarist in the world the bulk play SS.

Yes, but how many of them are famous? (as per the thread title)

PS: SS any day for a clean tone over tube (although Marshall SS clean sound is an absolute disgrace).

Which amps are you talking about then? are you saying that the cleans on a Line 6 Spider sound better than the ones on a Vintage Fender Twin?

Archived