Famous Solid State amp users

Cymro#1

• Members

I played with a fellow using a PRS guitar going thru a SS Line 6 amp. It sounded pretty good for a SS. I remember in the '70s seeing Moly Hatchet opening for the Eagles with Joe Walsh or was it Bad Company? Well anyway, they had the amp head I had, but(3) Peavey 400 musicians.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Don't the majority of bass players use solid state amps?

As a bass player, there is a simple equation here:

If the bass player is toting his own gear, it will be solid state. If he has a decent number of roadies, it will be tube and most likely an old Ampeg on top of an 8x10.

In other words, most of us use solid state.

• Members

Bass players arent tube snobs like guitarists seem to be, and I think many reason have to do with getting the cleanest most presice tone as possible, tube break up and cranked tube tone is generally not what a bass player is looking for, my Ampeg bass rig is SS from the 90's and bass has active pickups, I get piano clean tone out of it, but guitar amp is Ampeg tube and dig it. Do not dig cranked tube tone on bass.

Best solid state ever played was Tech 21 trade mark, my old guitar player used one and it's a great amp.

• Members

Some of the best SS amps are Roland JC amps. I had a JC 50 I really liked and I still own a Roland Spirit 60. The JC120 is a favorite of some players in Blues and Jazz, I think BB King and Albert King both used them as well as. I think with the hassle of tube maintenance, poor quality tubes the extra weight, many guys are switching to SS, with the advances in modeling technology and reliable service, why not? I still have 6 tube amps, only one is a SS amp but I'm selling off some of my gear and I think I'll keep the Roland and 2 of the tube amps.

• Members

Replies like this really piss me off. This thread in general rubs me the wrong way, too many negative replies.

I'm sick of people insisting on there being only one path to tone. It's not that Solid State sound worse(except with cheap amps), it's that it sounds different.

WOA! Down boy! I wasn't trying to piss anyone off and I didn't say there was only one path to tone. I was just messing around. I do think it's funny that you seem this pissed off over something so stupid.

• Members

IF:

You have to buy it

You have to maintain it

You use it for more than bedroom wanking

You have to lug it up on stage

Then it's probably solid state. Sorry, guys, go try a Tech 21 trademark. I sold my fairly rare first-year EL34 equipped Marshall 2500 head (50w w/ half power switch, later became the SLX with Mesa style tubes) after hearing a tiny little combo that had my Marshall tone in there - and the only tube amp that did it the same at the drop of a hat was a H&K Duotone costing ten times what my Tri AC cost. Now every little 100 buck SS combo with some power is my bitch, and I've emasculated the established guitar player in bands I've auditioned for with them. And they all had tube half stacks - Marshall, 5150, whatever.

I can grab a guitar, throw the Tri AC and a few pedals in a backpack and go jam or gig practically anywhere, with my tone, with Fender cleans and Mesa style distortion if I want it (I actually use a F Clean and two different Marshall channels instead). Run it into a channel and record direct. Plug my AKG cans into it and it actually works as a headphone amp.

Better than the 50+ pound temperamental box that had one channel, had to worry about the output impedance (blew the output tubes in my Mig 60 that way - homebuilt cab with unlabeled speakers), for God's sake don't bang it around after it's been used, and oh, I want to go on tour and now I need to pay a qualified tech to service it or risk being ampless on the road...yeah, man, tubes are where it's AT. I don't like only buying my product once, I want to pay for maintenance and have the damn thing double it's cost in five years if I actually decide to use it. Because I'm an American and if I'm not spending money constantly, I suck.

Anyone besides me notice the irony of douche-y white guys who wish they were bluesmen chatting up their booteek yuppie guitar gear, meanwhile the guys they were trying to emulate are tearing it up using 'crap'. Because, y'know, it was their gear, not their hearts, minds or souls. It's the gear. Because you can buy it too. So it must be the gear.

Frankly, if it didn't cost me anything because Marshall gives me an amp and/or pays me to endorse one, or the record company spends stupid money renting gear for an album, or after the multimillion-dollar marketing machine makes me into a platinum selling artist and I have money coming out my ears and now I'm a 'legit' musician, yeah, I'd probably play tubes too, just to giggle and watch the little glass bottles glow. Until then, sorry, it's the real world.

Now get back to your cubicle, you have 10k worth of guitar gear you couldn't afford int the first place that no one's ever going to hear that you someday have to pay off, (at least most idiots go into severe debt for, say, a house, or a decent car), and you're not going to do that with pure snobbery alone. Make your masters rich, monkey.

Rant over.

• Members

^^^ This is pretty good, I liked it and agreed with most of it.

But I have to say, I am a white douche bag with a tube amp, and I play blues a lot, I'm a fan. But I didn't spend anymore on the tube amp as most SS amps, hell a little Crate box costs more, so just because you play a tube amp, or because you're a white guy playing blues, does no make a yuppie wanna be. But I agree with almost everything he said, and I get what he was sayin.

• Members

IF:

You have to buy it

You have to maintain it

You use it for more than bedroom wanking

You have to lug it up on stage

Then it's probably solid state. Sorry, guys, go try a Tech 21 trademark. I sold my fairly rare first-year EL34 equipped Marshall 2500 head (50w w/ half power switch, later became the SLX with Mesa style tubes) after hearing a tiny little combo that had my Marshall tone in there - and the only tube amp that did it the same at the drop of a hat was a H&K Duotone costing ten times what my Tri AC cost. Now every little 100 buck SS combo with some power is my bitch, and I've emasculated the established guitar player in bands I've auditioned for with them. And they all had tube half stacks - Marshall, 5150, whatever.

I can grab a guitar, throw the Tri AC and a few pedals in a backpack and go jam or gig practically anywhere, with my tone, with Fender cleans and Mesa style distortion if I want it (I actually use a F Clean and two different Marshall channels instead). Run it into a channel and record direct. Plug my AKG cans into it and it actually works as a headphone amp.

Better than the 50+ pound temperamental box that had one channel, had to worry about the output impedance (blew the output tubes in my Mig 60 that way - homebuilt cab with unlabeled speakers), for God's sake don't bang it around after it's been used, and oh, I want to go on tour and now I need to pay a qualified tech to service it or risk being ampless on the road...yeah, man, tubes are where it's AT. I don't like only buying my product once, I want to pay for maintenance and have the damn thing double it's cost in five years if I actually decide to use it. Because I'm an American and if I'm not spending money constantly, I suck.

Anyone besides me notice the irony of douche-y white guys who wish they were bluesmen chatting up their booteek yuppie guitar gear, meanwhile the guys they were trying to emulate are tearing it up using 'crap'. Because, y'know, it was their gear, not their hearts, minds or souls. It's the gear. Because you can buy it too. So it must be the gear.

Frankly, if it didn't cost me anything because Marshall gives me an amp and/or pays me to endorse one, or the record company spends stupid money renting gear for an album, or after the multimillion-dollar marketing machine makes me into a platinum selling artist and I have money coming out my ears and now I'm a 'legit' musician, yeah, I'd probably play tubes too, just to giggle and watch the little glass bottles glow. Until then, sorry, it's the real world.

Now get back to your cubicle, you have 10k worth of guitar gear you couldn't afford int the first place that no one's ever going to hear that you someday have to pay off, (at least most idiots go into severe debt for, say, a house, or a decent car), and you're not going to do that with pure snobbery alone. Make your masters rich, monkey.

Rant over.

So you'd play a tube amp if you could? That is ironic. Until then, talk crap about stuff you're jealous you can't have...

You're just one of those pissed off, political hate-charged (probably white, too), anti-everything person. Whatever you think is the only way...THE ONLY WAY!!!!!!! Oh, yea, sorry I'm a working musician who cares about the gear I play. I worked for evey piece of gear I have and most of it was from playing and teaching...

So sorry, I should sell all my stuff and buy things that you approve of...

• Members

Acoustic

Model 260

Robbie Krieger (the Doors)

Albert King

Chuck Berry

Model 270

Frank Marino (Mahogany Rush)

Frank Zappa

Ernie Isley (Clean Sounds)

Award-Session

Sessionette:75

Eric Clapton (August)

BlueTone

Pro 30M

Pete Townshend (circa 2004, endorsed)

John Jorgenson (The Hellacasters circa 2004, endorsed)

Carlsbro

Stingray Professional

Andy Gill (Early Gang of Four)

Crate

GX-130C

Jack Oven (Cannibal Corpse

Archived