NAD!!! First tube amp!!

Grazzhoppa

• Members

hey guys i just picked this up off a guy from craigslist a few hours ago. i traded an alesis micron (that i paid 315 for) for it. i think i got a pretty good deal. its a marshall jcm 900 mark III 50 watt hi gain head. so here are my questions: anyone have a good (or at least passable) clean setting? can anyone recommend me some speakers? i think im gonna order a cab from avatar. i think it might need some new tubes and definitely some new pots as well. im a noob at this whole tube amp thing so if you guys could fill me in that would be great.

thanks!

ipod001.th.jpg

ipod002.th.jpg

ipod003.th.jpg

ipod004.jpg

w320.png

• Members

-don't run it without a speaker cab
-let it warm up for a minute or two before you flip the standby switch so that you have sound. When you turn it off hit the standby switch after the power switch so its in standby mode when you turn it on later. Don't let it sit around on standby forever, just turn it off.
-use a speaker cable not an instrument cable to connect the head to the speaker cab

Since I am not familiar with the amp's controls and can't see them in your photo- the basic method to getting a clean tone is running the master volume up and keeping the preamp volume down.

• Members

Ditto for mc5nrg's post.

And Congratulations! Cool amp for your first tube head.

It's a pain in the butt to change pots on that amp. Instead, get some isopropyl alcohol and apply some to the stem of each pot's shaft. Then rotate the shaft to both extremes repeatedly and it should move the gunk to the 0 and 10 possitions, cleaning up the pots for the rest of the range. Tubes are always fun to trade. Make sure to get a good speaker and cab.

Have fun!

• Members

The JCM 900 MkIII was also my first tube amp too. I think I put a set of JJ E34Ls in the power section which gave it some more low end and darkened the amp up a bit. I would definitely go for some Vintage30's for that amp. Not the best for clean sounds but it just works wonders with the crunch tones.

As for recommended settings, I don't remember any of them since it's been over 3 or 4 years that I've had the amp. However, like any other amp, I suggest you to put everything at 12oclock and tweak it from there.

Have fun with the amp! If I remembered right the amp takes pedals extremely well. Give it a boost and it'll easily become a versatile 3 channel amp.

• Members

Had one for a while and my favorite speakers were greenbacks, crank that sucker up a bit, keep the highs tamed you can manage some decent tones out of one of those. A good boost can open up some more potential.

• Members

For Marshall's I always like Greenbacks. They sound the best with Marshall distortion in my humble opinion. Actually any mid heavy amp I prefer Greenbacks. V30's tend to sound too ice pick-ish to me unless they are good and broken in but I have never had them in a Marshall so I have no idea how they sound in one.

• Members

Turn that {censored} down, I'm trying to do my yoga.

Oh, and happy new amp day. Avatar cabs are pretty good deals. You can get this 2 x 12 with Celestion V30's or G12 H30's for $399. The speakers by themselves are $300, so the cab is basically $100.

blackblack212.jpg

• Members

I've got one of those (look at my avatar) - the official name/model is a JCM 900 Super Lead MKIII, model 2500. Great and underappreciated rock amp. It's heads and shoulders better than the dual reverb version of the JCM 900 too, so you got the one to get! ;)

As mentioned before, the basic method to getting a clean tone is running the master volume up and keeping the preamp volume down. By all means, retube it with EL-34's instead of 6550's if you want a true Marshall sound. Many of the Super Leads (SL) were biased "too cold", and a lot of them came with 6550 power amp tubes. I's suggest re-tubing with your favorite brand of EL-34's, and have someone knowledgable check and crank up the bias if it appears to be see too cold.

The JCM 900 series replaced the JCM 800 series, and was designed to do hard rock, with more gain than the JCM 800 series. So, you can get a decent clean tone out of it, but you need to crank the master volume up and the preamp volume down to get it.

I'd also suggest just cleaning the pots rather than replacing them. There are several good spray-on pot cleaners available, and a nifty "sleeve" that you slip over the pot shaft and spray the cleaner into, to direct the cleaner into the pots. With the sleeve, you won't even need to take the chassis out of the cabinet. You might be lucky enough to be able to turn each pot clockwise-counterclockwise a few dozen times and clear up the "scratchiness". Have fun!

Archived