OT: Want an ac*ust*c

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I cherry picked an Epi Dove at Guitar Center. I was there for the EJ. They said they had one when I called. A 60 mile drive later, they said they had none, so I made them let me open 12 doves and I settled on one. I don't think you will go wrong either way, but the EJ has such a classic look.

• Members

I took my boy (he's 15 and is a fantastic player) to our favorite music store to check out some acoustics. He tried out a bunch of different brands ranging from $200 to $1400. The Seagull ($450) was by far his favorite. I was amazed by the sound.

• Members

Lots of good entry/mid level acoustics out there. Pretty much anything by Takamine, Yamaha, or Alvarez is going to be a great value. Epi, Washburn, Ibanez and Fender also have some very nice models in the range you're looking. I've also been impressed with the Waltens I've played. Perhaps some of the other Godin-made guitars like Art & Luthier or Norman? Check with the fellas over on the acoustic forum. They're very helpful and probably know more what's available on your side of the pond.

• Members

Used harmony soverign+luthier work to get it running.

Sold spruce top and 1 piece honduras mahogany back, it's about 1500 dollars of guitar in todays condition.

Ebay, you can get one for under 300.

Ten times the guitar those others are.

• Members

I had the hots a while back for an acoustic jumbo, still do really, and I checked out the Epi J200s. I played one in a guitar center and was very impressed by it. The only thing that stopped me from buying one right on the spot was that they have a laminated top. I've heard pros and cons of laminated tops; they are supposedly more rugged but don't offer as flexible a surface to vibrate as a solid top, so I'm not really sure what to think. On the basis of looks alone, which probably is a poor factor to base a purchase on, the Epi would win hands down over anything else in that price range. They are beautiful.

• Members

Goat central!

:lol:

What sort of stuff do you want to play/what sort of guitar do you want? I'm hopefully looking at an Ibanez shortly, since I seem to be playing more acoustic at the moment. If I get it, would you like my nasty Chinese plastic salad bowl at cost price (about

• Members

Godin has another brand, Art & Luthier that are a little cheaper.

I've been shopping heavily for an acoustic of late as well. In the price, that Epi jumbo is going to be tough to beat. The sound is quite good. Plus, its hard to beat a jumbo with a moustache bridge for cool factor. Acoustically, you can drown out anyone else around if you want to.

Be careful on the Ovations. They sound great plugged in but the plastic bowl is an echo chamber when it is unplugged. The round back drives me nuts always wanting to slip around. Some people make friends with them, though. They are well made guitars.

EG

• Members

The best in that price range are probably the Yamaha's.

Of the two shown above, I would definately go for the Takamine over the Epi. The Epi Gibson copies I've played (quite a few ) all largely looked nice and sounded lousy.

Archived