Finally, a real SG

luke978

• Members

I've wanted a real deal Gibson SG for years but I never thought I'd own one for alot of reasons, mainly I'm cheap and my guitar playing sucks a fat bag of dicks. I never could justify to myself spending over $500 for any piece of my rig. That changed Monday.

My brother tells me that one of his friends was selling his mint SG for $350. It was his first and only guitar, bought brand new in '07, and only played about a dozen times at most. He's a lefty, and bought it thinking that he could learn to play right handed. He never changed the strings on it and whoever put the original ones on had them all knotted up around the posts, which was causing some tuning problems. The action was as high as a giraffe's {censored}, making it tough as hell to play.

When I checked it out, it was pristine. No sharp frets, or dead frets at all. A new set of .10's, lowered action, a slightly tweeked the truss rod, and a pickup adjustment made all of the issues dissapear. It plays better that I'd hoped.

This is definately one of the easiest playing guitars I have ever played. I love the neck pickup. I usually don't get along with neck humbuckers because they always sound muddy to my ears, but this one is pretty damn articulate. I like the bridge puckup as well, but it could stand to be a tad bit hotter. But as with the neck pickup, its very articulate as well.

$350 and worth every penny:

Gib002.jpg

• Members

Luke,

Ha Ha. Your situation was kind of like mine. I got my first Gibson - also an SG last Sunday. I usually go for low to mid end guitars. I got mine for about what you did - plus a trade of a First Act. I really like mine too. Here is mine...

FADED_SG1.JPG

Oh, and HNGD.

- W

• Members

I have that exact guitar, finish and all. I thought the same thing about the pickups as you - swapped out the bridge 490T for the 498T outta my LP Studio and voila! Beautiful. I also dressed mine up a touch with "proper" SG knobs, P/U covers and truss rod cover - looks swank!

Archived