I need an explanation

jskpongoui

• Members

Hello all.

I need a guitar reccomendation.

I will be playing styles like :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYCKGG4VOZY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J5o9aCSR84

I know some of these have synthesizers in them.

(For those of you who dont want to watch them, bottom line is- i will be playing ambient, dance, and electro rock)

anything in between 300 and 500 dollars is fine.

thoughts on http://store.guitarfetish.com/xaviereguitars.html those?

from what im hearing, i should go with a used tele or strat, with single coils.

what about making my own guitar? :S

cuz i see all the hardware on some sites and it looks like it'll be cheaper, and i can get exactly what i want- thoughts?

lso- what strings? im looking at the electro harmonix ones-

they seem to get good reviews, what weight/gauge do you guys advise

(for just starting out)

also, if im building my guitar what are the pieces i need ? of course tuners, body, neck, bridge, and pups. but what else?

• Members

The difference? Pickups, neck, weight, size, etc....I know I'm not being specific, but that question is like asking what the difference is between a Model T and a Calloway Corvette. Maybe let us know what style(s) you're going to be playing, what you're into, etc. Which guitars Look cool, and which guitars have you tried in the past. :thu:

• Members

Well. For the most part, they all do the same job.

Teles are often much more trebly (read Country)

Les Pauls often give a much more strong, rounded tone (read rock)

Strats often do everything and everything, but have a signature "quack" sound. Hard to explain. You'll have to see for yourself.

SGs are something like a cross between a LP with a taste of a Strat. If you like a LP, then you probably will like a SG.

Bottom Line? For versitility, look at a strat (thats not saying that the rest arn't as versitile, but a Strat just seems to just give me a little bit more to work with in terms of overall sound.

• Members

Well. For the most part, they all do the same job.

Teles are often much more trebly (read Country)

Les Pauls often give a much more strong, rounded tone (read rock)

Strats often do everything and everything, but have a signature "quack" sound. Hard to explain. You'll have to see for yourself.

SGs are something like a cross between a LP with a taste of a Strat. If you like a LP, then you probably will like a SG.

Bottom Line? For versitility, look at a strat (thats not saying that the rest arn't as versitile, but a Strat just seems to just give me a little bit more to work with in terms of overall sound.

Teles? I agree- very trebly, LPs? Rounded, yes, yes, SGs? Uhhmm, more or less, but I have to add in that they offer easier access to the upper frets. Strats, versatile, yes. For everybody, no. I personally don't prefer them, I prefer 'shred' type guitars. It really depends on the OPs style of music, and what he's comfortable with. Heavy vs light, thick neck vs thin, hardtail vs trem, Floyd vs Kahler vs Wilkinson, active vs passive, 21,22,24 frets, jumbo, medium jumbo, medium whatever, and the list goes on. I used to HATE when someone mentioned going to a store and trying them out, but I can see why that's somewhat good advice. A bad first guitar experience could get you out of it entirely, so You need to be comfortable with whatever you buy. The four guitars you have listed don't even begin to break the ice on what's available out there, though I guess they are pretty much the traditional 'standard'.

To partially answer your question: The strat is the only one that comes standard with a trem. The SG and LP Usually come with dual humbuckers. The Tele Usually comes with either 2 singles, or a humbucker and a single. LP- switch is at the top, something a lot of people have to get used to. Strat- Volume knob is at the bridge-Something I can't get used to. Strat- available in sss, hss, and hs pickup placements. Most of these are of the 22 fret variety.

The 'other' guitars differences are- Some have- Hotter pickups (While mostly considered useful to the Metal crowd, a hotter pickup can add a cleaner clean), thinner necks (allows some to play faster, longer without the hand cramping up), floating/double-locking trem (holds tune even when divebombed), 24 frets (allows for a fuller crunch, less trebly, and more options on lead), hollow-bodies, etc..but I'm still only mentioning a little of the options available out there. :thu:

• Members

Sorry - but for $1-300, you can't afford any of those (new). The best you can do for that price would be a Squier, Epi, or the equivalent. If you're playing ambient, I would suggest that your choice of guitars is not that critical, because you will essentially be playing effects, so the inherent tone of the guitar will be pretty much buried in the mix anyway...

• Members

Sorry - but for $1-300, you can't afford any of those (new). The best you can do for that price would be a Squier, Epi, or the equivalent. If you're playing ambient, I would suggest that your choice of guitars is not that critical, because you will essentially be playing effects, so the inherent tone of the guitar will be pretty much buried in the mix anyway...

Ok, so from what I'm hearing, I might wait a bit- expand my budget and go for around 500$.

• Members

For what you play, a Strat would be the correct choice.

Funny, I thought telecaster immediately!

For your style, I'd choose single coils of some sort over humbuckers. Singles tend to be cleaner and chimier whereas humbuckers deliver warmth and crunch (not that any of those guitars can't do any of the above - I'm just speaking generally). It'd be hard to go wrong with a tele or a strat, and you can get a nice Standard Strat or Tele used for $300 or less.

• Members

Wait a cottonpickin' minute.

Okay, the standards of these are very expensive new (you're talking $1000-$4000 without the fluff and such). But howzabout craigslist? eBay? Your local secondhand instrument store? Out here we have a place called MusicGoRound which is sort of like a pawn shop for instruments but still a store (and you can commission or sell outright to the store). Shop around first; you might get a good deal. But $500 might be best. I hope you already have an amp, cord, picks, strings, strap. You can always get one of those starter kits (?).

• Members

A lot of folks seem to prefer single coils for ambient, for that clean, glassy tone. I've been using P-90s when I've been experimenting with that stuff lately, which are basically like single coils on steroids...

There was another thread like this a few days back, and someone recommended a Tele deluxe (single at the bridge, hum at the neck), and I thought that was a good choice.

As stated, most of your sound will come from your rig and all that, so amp/effects may be where you want most of your cash to go. Then buy the best you can with what's left over in the interim.

• Members

Thanks everyone! I have another question, I have a Roland KC60, keyboard amp- will that work well enough?

later on I play to go with a vox or kustom, maybe orange.

Hey, I just feel like I need to step in and interject. This is important!

Your amp is MORE IMPORTANT to your tone than your guitar, ESPECIALLY when you're starting out.

If you don't have a guitar or amp yet and you're looking at $500, consider at least half of that towards your amp. Don't skimp on the amp to get a little bit nicer guitar - you've got some serious diminishing returns at that point.

• Members

I would probably second this. If you're trying to do lots of ambient stuff processed through a fair amount of effects, single coils would probably be the way to go, and both of the pickups (but especially the bridge) on a Telecaster sound amazing and are crystal clear. I'm sure you could also use a Strat though.

Then again, LPs and humbuckers are also fully able to be run through enough ringers that they don't even sound like guitars:

• Members

I'd call MFV, and get the gibson melody maker for $250, should be damn close to tele tone.

That's a good call, actually.

But, like I and others have said, I'd buy your amp first, and the guitar second. There are several great budget tube amps out there, especially used. My favorites are Traynor (I have 2). The best guitar will sound like poop through a crappy amp.

Archived