A couple curious questions about ethnicities

Phait

• Members

Very simple. You can be black (or white or other race) and also be hispanic. If a person primarily identified him/herself as being black, for example, it doesn't preclude the aspect of being hispanic.

The U.S. Office of Management and Budget currently defines "Hispanic or Latino" as "a person of Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin,
regardless of race
".

And now you know.
:)

It still doesn't mean that they have a right to ask.

The Census (Gov) can ask, a landlord can't. The Census asks for self-identification pdf link (Jeff is, of course, correct about the definition).

• Members

It's interesting that the same avarice and greed that

drove the white man to rape and pillage America and

reduce it's native inhabitants to minorities is now

supporting those same minorities to become self

sufficient and even powerful.

• Members

It's interesting that the same avarice and greed that

drove the white man to rape and pillage America and

reduce it's native inhabitants to minorities is now

supporting those same minorities to become self

sufficient and even powerful.

You know what the politicians in Sacramento called (and perhaps still do) the state lottery after it was voted in as a result of a big campaign by lottery gambling interests: the stupidity tax.

• Members

I recently had to fill out a form allowing my apartment complex to check to see if I had a criminal record...

This seems somewhat odd if you are already living there. Does this mean that if you'd had a DUI you could be evicted?

Irish-residential building construction

Police, military personnel, FBI agents, firefighters, priests / nuns, politicians, pub owners / bartenders, actors / artists / musicians... those are the traditional career stereotypes for Irish-Americans.

If my family is any indication, there is at least some truth to that. About the only one of those that isn't represented in my family is politician. :idk:

• Members

Being a Euromutt, I had a wide range of options available to me for careers and, no matter what I picked I could blame it on any one or another of my ancestors. The only trouble is I got so confused that I am still trying to decide what I want to be when I grow up. ;)

• Members
Being a Euromutt, I had a wide range of options available to me for careers and, no matter what I picked I could blame it on any one or another of my ancestors. The only trouble is I got so confused that I am still trying to decide what I want to be when I grow up.
;)

:D

Outside of the great grandmother being full blood Cherokee, the remainder of my ancestry is of the European descent; mostly German, with a bit of Irish and British in the blood line.

• Members

I have to laugh (not at you or this video) but it seems like half the people I know all claim Cherokee blood.

If you're in the southeast, it's common. It's pretty easy to look around in the summer and figure out, actually....

On my father's side of the family, both his mother and father's bloodline stops at their parents. Pictures of them makes it obvious what their ethnicity was. Where *their* parents were fromis less obvious. At that point it's a bit of a trick and you have to go by what was verbally implicated, and reconstruct from there.

Unfortunately, there were probably a lot of "mixed blood" in the south at one point in U.S. history, and it was a matter of survival to not let on about it. As a sidenote, my father says that when he was a kid a "indian chief" in full regalia indentifying himself as Cherokee from Oklahoma came looking for my grandfather once, but didn't say what it was about. My grandfather worked all over the country, wasn't around, and wouldn't say anything about it.

Which leads one to believe that at that time, in those days, in the south some people had racist tendencies *not just towards people of African descent*. Then there's the whole North/South thing, which adds another layer of complexity: I know the ethnic roots of my name, but how it got from Scotland to here and how I have a "tan" all year was probably a bit scurrilous at one point in time.

Archived