I bought my brother his first guitar . . . he said no

PoppyPoo

• Members
I started learning guitar when i was 8.

I started
playing
when i was 13 or so.

what is it that makes some people randomly have a lightbulb go off that makes them want to commit to something they didn't like before?

no idea
:idea:

Honestly, it's the weirdest {censored}ing thing ever.

I've been "playing" since I was 12. Whatever, I thought, it was just a hobby.

I had a black MIM Strat with rosewood fretboard.

One day I seen a commercial with a guy playing a red Strat with a maple neck.. And I was so pumped up about guitars from that point on. I actually applied myself to it. I know it seems like a stupid little thing.. But that was my lightbulb.

Then it snowballed.

• Members
Honestly, it's the weirdest {censored}ing thing ever.

I've been "playing" since I was 12. Whatever, I thought, it was just a hobby.

I had a black MIM Strat with rosewood fretboard.

One day I seen a commercial with a guy playing a red Strat with a maple neck.. And I was so pumped up about guitars from that point on. I actually applied myself to it. I know it seems like a stupid little thing.. But that was my lightbulb.

Then it snowballed.

i think it was actually the guitar player on "Whose Line is it Anyway" that got me actually thinking about playing guitar outside of lessons. i saw her playing some sort of HSS blacked out strat, which to me registered as "shiny-black-guitar" and the idea that a bad-ass guitar such as that in my hands would just be the bees-knees inspired me to get a black squier strat. i showed everybody the guitar, and thought it would impress people, but as it turns out, i sucked.

but the yearning to impress people was too strong, so i started putting hours into practicing and learning about guitar. it's since become my biggest passion in life and has little to do with public appeal.

although, it does help with public appeal for sure. guitar has brought me more women than a WNBA game (note: do not look like WNBA players :cop:).

• Members

My son acted disinterested for quite some time too. Now he plays as good or better than I do.

Kids don't want to emulate what their dads or bigger brothers necessarily do, they want to do what their friends think is cool.

Keep it kicking around, he might come around.

Nice gift. Sorry for the let down

• Members

I think we give too much to our children. I think that maybe they should get a guitar when the fire in their belly to play is so hot that they would make a guitar from a tree branch and make their own strings out of road-kill gut.

Then perhaps we should buy them the worst guitar we can find, and if they still insist on playing, despite bleeding fingers from the "Cheese-cutter action" of said bad guitar, maybe, just
maybe
they get a decent guitar.

Cant agree more with this :thu:
I learnt to "play" on an old loaner yamaha acoustic with nylon strings that were about 10 yrs old and the thing was only tuned about once a year (not by me, cause i didnt know how :facepalm:)...
Really cant believe i stuck with it, but if i ever have kids (god forbid), i would want them to show at least that amount of dedication before i considered buying them something.

• Members

How about a good story- The kid that used to baby sit for us got a bullet strat for his birthday from his uncle, but nothing else, so I set it up for him, gave him a cheap practice amp, cables, pics and such and a dano OD pedal and he loves it and continues to thank me for it. I almost wish he would stop because it was all just stuff I was mostly hoarding anyway. So, some of them do appreciate what we do.

• Members

I think we give too much to our children. I think that maybe they should get a guitar when the fire in their belly to play is so hot that they would make a guitar from a tree branch and make their own strings out of road-kill gut.

Then perhaps we should buy them the worst guitar we can find, and if they still insist on playing, despite bleeding fingers from the "Cheese-cutter action" of said bad guitar, maybe, just
maybe
they get a decent guitar.

This is pretty much the philosophy they adopt in suzuki teaching. Children start out doing their lessons without any instrument. After a while, they get their first cardboard violin. Then, after they've shown they can handle an instrument with care and respect, they get their first real violin. Depending on the child, it can be a few weeks or several months before they actually get to play a proper instrument.

It sounds pretty harsh. But damn, it works. The kids that stick with it, are the ones with a fire in their belly and a real desire to play.

• Members

Great that you care. I have been in similar situations a few times. Come to realize that because I love and enjoy guitar so much, its easy for me to want to share that joy with others. Problem is, most just don't share that joy and so what would mean the world to me [someone giving me a guitar...] means little to them.
If on the other hand, they pick that thing out themselves and have the "one" they want, they way they want, its a different story. Even it its crap with strings, its theirs.

Come to think of it my dad did give me a guitar once. An older Alvarez 12 string acoustic form an estate sale. I appreciated it more than most gifts I suppose, but it wasn't earth shaking. Then again I was young and just couldn't appreciate a guitar then like I can now.

With age comes wisdom... and good taste.

• Moderators

I tried giving one of those Predators (an earlier "script" logo'd model) to my 15-yr-old nephew because he wanted a guitar without a locking trem, as his only guitar is a floyded Ibanez. He wasn't interested once he saw the name on the headstock, though. :^/

• Members

He`s just a kid...interests can change daily...really at that age I was all over the place too. Give him a break, once he sees he can get a lot more babes with a guitar than a violin he`ll come around.

• Members

I don't quite buy the "teenagers hate adults" argument, but I guess it's different when you're 26 (like me) than 40+ or whatever. I have my own son and at 2 and a half he carries around my first Harmony acoustic, stopping to put cars and such in the sound hole from time to time. He's going to play like a beast by 10. :)

• Members

Threaten to buy him a banjo for his next birthday.

He'll be a regular Clapton in six months.

Mr. Backlund, your wit is as crisp and twisted as your guitar designs.

But the "Death Penalty" of musical instruments (for all parties concerned) is the Bagpipe.

• Members

When I was a little girl, my mother insisted I take piano lessons. I hated every stinkin' minute of it.

Which is exactly why I would never give any kid a guitar unless they specifically asked for it, at which point I would SELL them a guitar (at a very generous deal.) Not because I care about the money, but just to make sure I'm not "casting pearls before swine."

Remember those Rogue lipstick guitars? Sold mine to the kid who cuts my lawn. This year, she's mowing my lawn in exchange for half of what I was paying her last year plus a free guitar lesson each time.

Archived