If you could start your own company...

Blackhell

• Members

What would you make, (pedals, amps, guitars, etc, etc) what would be the name, and a few of the models you would offer?

For me, the name would either be BlackHell Guitar Works, or Burma Road Customs. It would be all guitars. Mostly high end (like Charvel is today and Gibson).

Models:

Vinatage T:

Ash body

Tele shape

birdseye maple neck

birdeye maple, or ebony board

pickguard

two singles (choice of SD's, EMGs, or Bareknuckles.)

Bigsby trem or 6 saddle tele bridge.

Here's a picture.

Telewithbigsby.jpg

Vintage Power T:

Same as above, but with stacked single coils.

Modern T:

mahogney body

Tele shape

mahogney neck

Ebony board with no inlays

Aluminum Tele Jr. style guard

Humbuckers

OFR.

TelewithFloyd.jpg

BloodHound (you can tell this is a bit of a metal player's company;)):

Alder body

RR V shape

birdseye maple neck

ebony board with pearl dot inlays

two HBs

choice of string thru or Floyd Rose

RRV.jpg

Hellhound:

Mahogney body

RRV

Ebony Board no inlays

two HBs

OFR.

RRVBlackburst.jpg

Rancher:

Mahogney body and neck.

LP style body

Ebony or rosewood board with LP standard inlays

TOM bridge

2 HBs

LPBlueburst.jpg

Rancher XT:

mahogney body

maple top

Mahogney neck

ebony board LP Custom inlays

3 HB

TOM bridge or bigsby

LPBlackwithbigsby.jpg

HairRasier (You hair metal fans will love this):

Ash body

All birdseye maple neck

Original Floyd Rose

1 Humbucker

Soloist style body

Hair metal colors (neon)

Soloist.jpg

• Members

I remember EG posting a similar thread a while back. I would mostly make guitars, all off-beat stuff, name would be Weapons of Musical Destruction. I would also be willing to make any design sent to me if someone wanted it, like a drawing or something. Names would be stuff like:

Thunderstorm- my current build guitar

Tsunami,

Hurricane,

Tornado,

mostly names dealing with destruction.

I won't post my ideas, I'm going to build them, and post them as I go. :thu:

0710091543-1.jpg' alt='>'>

• Members

Easy.

Pedals.

Keeley, as a company, grosses ~$4 million a year (or they did before their building burned down).

ZVex is somewhere around there.

I'm sure Fulltone and others are as well.

Now, keep in mind, this is before overhead, payroll, materials, but if they are are doing it by the business school books, then the founders are earning at least $400-600K year for themselves. I know a couple of the big names in boutique guitars and amps and have spoken with a lot more, and none of them deal in anywhere near that amount of money.

• Members

I'd own a small fishing boat on a small island and live in a hut.. Catch enough to feed myself and earn enough money to keep from losing my hut to developers. I've always told my wife, if I ever go nuts and vanish, she should start looking for me living as a hermit on various little islands.. Thanks to this thread, I now have a business plan to go along with that adventure.. Thanks :thu:

• Members

I'd own a small fishing boat on a small island and live in a hut.. Catch enough to feed myself and earn enough money to keep from losing my hut to developers. I've always told my wife, if I ever go nuts and vanish, she should start looking for me living as a hermit on various little islands.. Thanks to this thread, I now have a business plan to go along with that adventure.. Thanks
:thu:

Great minds think alike... 1st it was the whole Carvin thing now this? Ill own the little Teekee Hutt bar down the beach....

You can come and play on my 1 man jam stage

• Members

I'm slowly opening a custom guitar shop (ran from my garage)!

Guitar models:

Strat

Super-Strat

V (regular and offset)

Tele

Les Paul

and couple others

Woods:

Customer Choice from what I have in stock

Same with necks and fretboards

Inlays:

Dots

Shark tooth

Shark fin

Many Others

Pickup Configuration:

H/H

H/S/H

S/S/H

S/S/S

coil tap upon request

Tremelo:

Original Floyd Rose

Fixed Bridge

String Through

thats roughly what i am going to offer plus I will build guitars upon what I want and sell those also.

Name of my company is going to be Razor Blade Customs.

• Members

I'm slowly opening a custom guitar shop (ran from my garage)!

Guitar models:

Strat

Super-Strat

V (regular and offset)

Tele

Les Paul

and couple others

Woods:

Customer Choice from what I have in stock

Same with necks and fretboards

Inlays:

Dots

Shark tooth

Shark fin

Many Others

Pickup Configuration:

H/H

H/S/H

S/S/H

S/S/S

coil tap upon request

Tremelo:

Original Floyd Rose

Fixed Bridge

String Through

thats roughly what i am going to offer plus I will build guitars upon what I want and sell those also.

Name of my company is going to be Razor Blade Customs.

That's Awesome man! :thu:

• Members

I would do the following

Preamps. Lots of them. Basically miniture models of popular amps.

Like:

Marshall plexi (read H&K CM reissue)

Fender Clean tone

Messa Dual Recto

And then form a partnership with Tech 21 to advertise my preamps with there line of PowerEngine Powered guitar cabs.

I'll make millions

Instant custom multichannel amp!

• Members

i would make a company that produce all the pieces needed to make the guitars. therefore u all need me to survive and make a profit. i would make them inhouse and have them be vastly cheaper as in price, not quality. so i win. haha

• Members

I'd love to build stuff, but I have no talent for those kinds of things. I suck at soldering, I have no woodworking skills, etc. I've tried, believe me, but it's just not me. I guess I'd have to be the CEO and hire people to execute my vision. :)

I've got a few ideas, I sketched out a kind of cool Ric 600-series meets PRS hollow guitar at one point that I'd love to see to reality. I love Strats and although clones are dime a dozen I'd love to put together a particular variant with specs that I think work really well.

Another thing I think would be cool would be amps with more points in the midrange to adjust - like separate upper mids and low mids for example, or even some sort of parametric mid control. A lot of character is defined by the mids, so being able to increase/decrease the emphasis of the mids and where in the midrange they are located could get you a lot of tones.

I would also like to see more pedals with adjustable compression. A few are out there, but I think that would be really handy to dial in.

I have no idea how realistic these things are...I just think :)

• Members

That's Awesome man!

yea its a slow work in progress (seeing as how im broke until 7 weeks from now)but i will open this business up and it will be lucrative or i will rob banks until it does become lucrative

>.>

<.>

nah j/k but i ope it all works out for the best and then later im going to try to open up a record label :D (Razor Blade Records)

• Members

i wanna learn to build damn pedals SOOOO friggan bad its not even funny.

however what i wanna do as a buisness im not saying cause i havnt done it yet
:lol:

What is there to learn other than soldering? That takes a whole hour to learn well enough to solder decent connections.

Do it!

Now, if you mean that you want to learn how to design your own pedals, that will take a bit more. You will hardly need an engineering degree, though.

• Members

I think amps and effects are way above my understanding, but as for pedals, I'd love to be able to make an amp in the box basicly. Maybe set-up no larger then then one of those boss muilti-effects units. It would have the pre-amp tubes and the power amp tubes. I'd basicly take the guts of say a Plexi, and flaten them out into a pedal. If that goes over well, I'd make an amp that would help make these pedals sound amazing. What I'm saying that it would be a two or 3 channel pedal with a clean and an OD, and maybe a lead setting if it's 3. It you basicly save you from lugging your amp around, because you would just plug this "Amp in a box" into your PA. The problem is price. What I'm thinking is kinda taking Randell's switchible thing with the channels, and expanding on that. Basicly, you can get the Silver Jubilee pre-amp which is basicly the clean channel, and run it thru say a Mesa Recto for the power-amp (the tube set and all would match that of a Recto), and then you can crank the volume on the Silver Jubilee pre-amp, and overdrive the Recto power amp to get some different tones. It would also have a built in noise gate, and attenuator. I know. Dream on...

• Members

Now, if you mean that you want to learn how to design your own pedals, that will take a bit more. You will hardly need an engineering degree, though.

i wanna build my own and make some wild ass stuff you know? and yes i need to learn what all the neat little parts are and what they do

• Members

After my recent experience with my SG, the thing I've come to understand about the electric guitar is that the thing is a fairly simple creature from an engineering standpoint. There's no more precision required in building one than in putting together a nice highboy. Accuracy, a good eye and attention to detail are the keys.

I'm going to tackle a build after my move and we'll see how it goes, but I'm starting some plans to go into business maybe next year.

Haven't decided on a name yet, however, my designs will be fairly classic with some EG twists. Expect a long scale, maybe 26" or so. Look for my trademarks to be simplicity, modern takes on classic themes and use of new components. I'll probably use the Hipshot Baby Grand bridge and Hipshot tuners. Alumitones will likely be my pickup choice.

The hallmark will be my finishes. Look for old school shellac or spirit varnish finishes. Maybe paint on some. Ebony freboards and simple, fairly bling-free designs. The shapes and feels will carry the day. I like understated elegance.

All pipe dreams right now, but once I sink my teeth into something....

You guys have got me gassing to make some axes.

EG

Archived