If you could start your own company...

Blackhell

• Members

I would do the following

Preamps. Lots of them. Basically miniture models of popular amps.

Like:

Marshall plexi (read H&K CM reissue)

Fender Clean tone

Messa Dual Recto

And then form a partnership with Tech 21 to advertise my preamps with there line of PowerEngine Powered guitar cabs.

I'll make millions

Instant custom multichannel amp!

Egnator did that with Randall about a decade ago. Seymour Duncan tried it as well (very unaffectedly) in the '80's.

• Members

Really good question. :thu:

I'd get into building small, affordable tube amps with 1-5 watts of power. Judging by the regular number of threads asking about ~5 watt bedroom amps, I think there's untapped potential in that market. I think there are a lot of people wanting low-power amps (with a quality, vintage amp breakup) for conversation-level practice. Some big players are getting into this segment, but this market is still far from mature. Blackstar's HT-5 is a really good step in this direction.

If I were making pedals, I'd stay away from making an overdrive pedal, unless I had a really, really special formula on hand. The market for OD pedals is pretty saturated.

• Members
After my recent experience with my SG, the thing I've come to understand about the electric guitar is that the thing is a fairly simple creature from an engineering standpoint. There's no more precision required in building one than in putting together a nice highboy. Accuracy, a good eye and attention to detail are the keys.

I'm going to tackle a build after my move and we'll see how it goes, but I'm starting some plans to go into business maybe next year.

Haven't decided on a name yet, however, my designs will be fairly classic with some EG twists. Expect a long scale, maybe 26" or so. Look for my trademarks to be simplicity, modern takes on classic themes and use of new components. I'll probably use the Hipshot Baby Grand bridge and Hipshot tuners. Alumitones will likely be my pickup choice.

The hallmark will be my finishes. Look for old school shellac or spirit varnish finishes. Maybe paint on some. Ebony freboards and simple, fairly bling-free designs. The shapes and feels will carry the day. I like understated elegance.

All pipe dreams right now, but once I sink my teeth into something....

You guys have got me gassing to make some axes.

EG

Looking forward to your future build threads! :thu:

• Members
I never knew you made pedals man.
:facepalm:
I walk around with my blinders on! Do you sell them, or just build for fun?

i try not to spam myself too much around these parts if i can help it. i started out repairing tube amps a while back and it has just kind of evolved from there.i do pedal builds/repairs/mods,tube amp builds/repairs/mods as well as doing as much custom work in those realms as i can manage.

• Members
i wanna learn to build damn pedals SOOOO friggan bad its not even funny.

however what i wanna do as a buisness im not saying cause i havnt done it yet
:lol:

i've sent a few curious guys towards buying a kit or two from byoc or general guitar gadgets to get their feet wet and it seems to work out well. you'll get enough experience doing a very basic build process to find out if you like it and end up with a couple of cool pedals you can use even if you end up not enjoying it.:thu:

• Members

I would start a guitar company that would produce thousands of guitars a month and I would be its only customer. I would play them all, and when I got bored with any of them I would sell them on eBay or trade them in at Geetar Center for amps, basses, keyboards, and drums.

• Members

I'd like to make my own Wagdog Line of handwired amps and guitars. Here's the first prototypes:

Two Stroke amp (built from scratch, plans out of a book, but the construction layout is MINE!)

twostoke-done.jpg

board-chassis.jpg

Tubescreamer in a box. I actually gigged with this:

ts.jpg

Need to work on the finished product part, but the both work great!

• Members

i am sort of starting a custom high-end guitar and amplifier business, maybe pedals with my dad who is due to retire soon. Once that happens it will be something to keep him busy and its something he really enjoys. At the moment I am doing some designs and doing lots of research.

My wife and I are looking into selling our house just outside NYC and moving into something in a more laid-back slower paced area so we can focus more on raising our 2yo daughter and soon to be born son. One of my requirements in our new home purchase is that there is a workshop or space for a workshop on the property for a full on wood shop.

The company name is CCC or 3C or something along those lines which stands for Three Currier's (my last name) for my brother, my dad, and I it was just the three of us for a long time when i was growing up. As far as product names not really sure.

I know there will be one very special guitar named 'zhuona' which is in memory of someone who i miss more than anything. but that's sort of a special case.

Archived