Anyone familiar with The STRATosphere?

nuke_diver

• Members

This is an ebay store that sells used(?) Fender strat parts.

Just something I found in my ongoing research to decide what to do about my badly worn strat neck.

For some reason I like the idea of my strat saying fender stratocaster still rather than blank :idk:

So I wonder if anyone has used these guys and if it was a positive experience?

• Members

I have purchased quite a few parts from them and I have been very happy with every single one. They part out used and new guitars. I have found all descriptions of parts to be very accurate. The only downfall that I have noticed is they usually get a premium compared to other auctions. I dont mind paying a little more for no hassels. :lol:

• Members

I bought a guitar case from them once and it reeked of cigarette smoke. A few years later I bought an MIJ strat body from them and I recieved it in fine condition.

Don't expect to get any great deals from them though, there's always been speculation that they shill bid their own auctions to drive the prices up. You will never see one of thier items sell for cheap.

However, if you find a neck you like, and pay what you think it's worth, you will most likely be satisfied with them.

• Members

He's a guy who parts out Fender guitars and sells the parts individually such that he makes more on the sum of the sale prices for the parts than he paid for the guitar he started with. With few exceptions, he doesn't sell anything you can't get of equal quality for less money by buying from other sources. As an example, you can buy a Warmoth neck with a Clapton profile for half the price he charges (and probably get a better neck to boot). I can't stand the guy: I consider him an ultimate rip-off artist.

Oh, and Mazi Bee noted, he has a reputation for shill-bidding his own stuff, but being as he's one of the hugest power-sellers on eBay, there's no way eBay will ever take any action against him. eBay EXISTS for guys like Stratosphere.

• Members

I bought a highway one strat body from them through auction. I am 99% sure he set up some shill bids to bump up the price - nobody else was interested, and it was looking like I might get it for under $100. A bidder put in 2 bids, each bumping up the price $20 or $25 or so. Checking out the other bidder (I'd heard shady things about stratosphere), it was someone who'd had several hundred bids on things from the same seller in the past month. I don't think it'd be a stretch to say that it's likely that bidder was in cahoots with stratosphere one way or another, conservatively bumping up the price until it was acceptable to them.

I will say that the strat body I got came just as advertised and was totally fine. I got it for $145 or so, which I was willing to pay and was within my budget to begin with... but I'm pretty convinced they inflated the price, and for that would be hesitant to deal with them again, and I would take another option over them whenever possible.

• Members
Checking out the other bidder (I'd heard shady things about stratosphere), it was someone who'd had several hundred bids on things from the same seller in the past month.

There used to be a bidder with an Australian account who "bid" on thousands of items every month.

• Members

I've built partscasters from The Stratosphere's parts. However, there's been enough questionable bids brought to the forum's attention that I'm convinced they are shilling their own products. It's only circumstantial evidence but it's VERY circumstantial - too much to be coincidence in my book.

• Members

Still waiting for some hard evidence that he shill bids. It's always brought up, but no one can seem to provide anything other than "I think" or "I'm convinced". Not saying I don't believe them, but I'm still waiting for some good evidence.

He bought a 40th Anniversary strat from me several years back. His name is Matt Gibxxx and he lives in Waltham, MA if I remember right. I watched him part out my strat and he made $300 from the process.

He had (and most likely still does have) multiple ebay accounts that he uses to buy. I think one of them was something like mmmmburritos. They were really easy to find, all you had to do was do a completed auction search for Fender strats/teles and start going through the results. Look at what other auctions the winner has won and when you start seeing nothing but Fender's, dat's him. I found multiple accounts that I believe was him.

• Members

He could be shill bidding, but his prices are not insane or anything, a little high but he doesn't use stock photos and his descriptions are accuarte from the stuff I've bought.

I did notice a 52RI pickguard he had for sale that sold for $40, about $10 more then what they cost new from almost anywhere else. Thats kind of suspect, but who knows? People are idiots and will bid high just to win.

BTW the person you pay to is a Woman so maybe he is a she?

Here's the partscaster I built from his neck and body (CIJ Micawbre neck, CIJ 52 body, (1 piece body BTW)) Cost me about $800 total for the complete guitar and it holds its own againts my US 52RI I paid $1400 for (the case is from my 52RI)

cij3.jpg

• Members

Still waiting for some hard evidence that he shill bids. It's always brought up, but no one can seem to provide anything other than "I think" or "I'm convinced". Not saying I don't believe them, but I'm still waiting for some good evidence...

Really I don't know anything about this subject, but I did remember a similar thread and thought I'd share the link:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2331131&highlight=STRATosphere

• Members

I think he does shill bid on items that are of the premium quality.

If he sees one of his Eric Johnson necks or bodies about to end and it's at $175, he will drive it up.

But he lists too many items to keep up with all of them. You can indeed score a good deal.

He's helped me part together three Strats.

Archived