The Slide Guitar Junk Dremel Boxcaster Build Thread

Elias Graves

• Members

Intonation isn't an issue with slide, correct?

Actually it is, but is accomplished by technique / by ear.

On Gibson style neck angles, its because of the tall bridge used. Without a neck angle, your action would be way high. Thats why on some guitars like Godin they recess the bridge when using a Gibby style unit.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Actually it is, but is accomplished by technique / by ear.

On Gibson style neck angles, its because of the tall bridge used. Without a neck angle, your action would be way high. Thats why on some guitars like Godin they recess the bridge when using a Gibby style unit.

I'm glad you checked in here. So this one is probably better off with the straight neck? I want high action for slide, right?

EG

• Members

Fret and position markers are handy for sure. StewMac has a fret calculator you can use. http://www.stewmac.com/FretCalculator/

I find it handy to use the mm scale as its easier to use. Just remember to take all measurements from the nut, fret to fret can compound any errors.

Also there is a program out there called wfret that will print it out for you, just double check that the print out is accurate.

Portrait is often is more accurate than landscape, at least on my printer.

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&=&q=wfret&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g%3As2g1g%3As2g1

• Members

Small update. The neck is going to be wider under the box lid to mount the bridge and the pickup. Some 2x4's will serve.
HPIM0626.jpg

The lid to the box will be weakened at the point where I cut it for the neck to come through. I'll install four bolts around the top to secure the top to the box and to reinforce it. I used some epoxy to attach some nuts to the inside of the box where I drilled holes. This way I can attach the lid by just running some button head cap screws into the nuts.
HPIM0625.jpg

Now I'm just letting glue dry and epoxy cure. That's all tonight.

EG

• Members

Awesome thread. I would suggest not going with that wrap around bridge. Reason being the arch it has. Those Squier 51 bridges on GF would probably be a better choice for a slide guitar. Seemingly easier to mount as well.

Edit: I should read past the first page before commenting.

Archived