Favorite Animals

Phait

• Members

Those lemurs are sure cute. Strange little marsupials, no? Phait, I would LOVE to see you do a cartoonized or stylized artistic version of a lemur!! Capturing their funny little postures and expressions?

I confess, I like dogs, both domestic, and their wild cousins.

I never cease to be amazed at how smart dogs are. With some of your smarter breeds, one has the distinct impression that there is nothing that goes on in their environment--- which they do not understand at some level. They process it as humans do, but just accord it different significances.

puppies.jpg

• Members

I like birds

Someone once asked me: 'Saul, what would you do if a bird shat on your car?'

I replied: 'I wouldn't go out with her again'

English humour (with a 'u'), you see?

'Bird' is a slang word (poetry too - you certainly get value for money with me!) for 'woman' in merrie England, where, incidentally, we all wear bowler hats and carry umbrellas - really, we do! It's not just a ruse to get Americans over here to spend their money - good heavens, no! ;)

Hence the joke (are you still with me?)

I'm wasted here, I really am.......

• Members

I remember reading a Desmond Morris book which listed animals from the whole animal kingdom.... and the degree to which they were favored and loved by humans.

As you might expect, we are fondest of the animals which are humanoid. ie., which have facial features roughly like our own. So apes, dogs, cats and bears figure highly, as you might imagine.

The less a creature reminds us of ourselves, the less we like him. So things like spiders, snakes, fish and insects do not win our hearts as easily. Indeed, it's thought that all humans, cross-culturally, are pre-wired with a revulsion towards snakes.

Think about how a can of tunafish will proudly trumpet: OUR TUNAFISH IS DOLPHIN-SAFE!

Kind of an odd proposition, no? The dolphin, who seems more humanoid, we seek to preserve. While the tunafish--- who looks less like us--- can just go to blazes, as far as we are concerned. :idk:

• Members

I like squirrels.

Squirrel.jpg

I stopped feeding them by hand ever since one of my little buddies confused my thumb for a peanut. That tenacious little sucker didn't want to let go either!:eek:

My wife is a docent at the LA Zoo. She'll be showing and telling a group of school kids about some exotic animal, and inevitably one of the little tikes will point elsewhere towards the ground and say, "Look, a squirrel!". :lol:

• Moderators

Liger!

I like dogs. I've got Pepper, the Pointer/Pit pooch and Pudgie, the the cute runt Boston Terrier. Pudgie is quite possibly the dumbest dog to ever live. Lovable though... and Pepper may be the smartest. Together, they make a very wonderful and important part of my family.

• Members

Liger!

I like dogs. I've got Pepper, the Pointer/Pit pooch and Pudgie, the the cute runt Boston Terrier. Pudgie is quite possibly the dumbest dog to ever live. Lovable though... and Pepper may be the smartest. Together, they make a very wonderful and important part of my family.

Lee, can you post photos of Pepper and Pudgie?:thu:

• Members

I used to be married to a bird. She was so fantastic in USA and didn't morph into a horrorshow soul till we moved to South East London in the early/mid 90's.

Speaking of birds, heard a Paul Mac interview where he said his song; 'Blackbird' was about black women. Made perfect sense after he said it but never dawned on me the bazillion times I'd heard that song before.

Oh, animals, check my avatar, you can't see his tail or lack thereof, but I dig Manx cats and Norwegian Elkhounds.

ps to Saul, working on getting wasted here me self! :eek::lol:

I like birds

Someone once asked me: 'Saul, what would you do if a bird shat on your car?'

I replied: 'I wouldn't go out with her again'

English humour (with a 'u'), you see?

'Bird' is a slang word (poetry too - you certainly get value for money with
me
!) for 'woman' in merrie England, where, incidentally, we all wear bowler hats and carry umbrellas - really, we do! It's not just a ruse to get Americans over here to spend their money - good heavens, no!
;)

Hence the joke (are you still with me?)

I'm wasted here, I really am.......

Archived