Beach Boys rehearsals in 1967. Absolutely awesome. Get them while they're still up!

deafinoneear

• Members

That God Only Knows is simply stunning. Carl Wilson is probably one of the most underrated vocalists of all time.

Also cool that they covered The Letter by The Box Tops. Alex Chilton, who sang that song, formed Big Star which I would put as the second greatest American pop band behind the Beach Boys

• Members

That God Only Knows is simply stunning. Carl Wilson is probably one of the most underrated vocalists of all time.

Also cool that they covered The Letter by The Box Tops. Alex Chilton, who sang that song, formed Big Star which I would put as the second greatest American pop band behind the Beach Boys

+1... on both points.

Although the Alex Chilton who sang The Letter does not sound anything like the Alex Chilton in Big Star... I still don't know how they got him to sound like that in the Box Tops recording. Great tune, though.

• Members

dave... i believe the a capella stuff came out on a special release of pet sounds.. a 3 cd set i think

i've been using pet sounds as a reference for recording... along with some other classic recordings

I have that. It's a pretty interesting look into how they recorded and layered their stuff. Not necessarily something to put on and rock out to, but it's interesting to hear and study.

• Members

Christ, Love really is a douche.

Not to defend him, but try to look at it from his perspective. Van Dyke Parks' lyrics were stupid. And as odd as Brian Wilson's behavior was getting by 1967, it would have been easy to believe the band was taking a horribly wrong direction. From a business perspective, he was probably right.

• Members

Wow! ThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyou!

I'm right there with you on Mike Love. A friend of me read an article on rock stars' real names and found out Paul Revere's real name is Paul Dick. He said, "Well, now we know why he changed his name."

I said, "Yeah...otherwise everybody would assume he was related to Mike Love."

Not quite true. Paul Revere IS his real name, and was discouragred from changing it by their press agent Derek Taylor, who was also the press agent for the Beatles. Now back to are regular scheduled Beach Boy Thread:thu:

• Members

Funny video about Mike Love. I just heard a radio interview today with Cory Wells of Three Dog Night. He was telling about his experience of working with Brian Wilson before TDN was launched. They were having a great time and really started to click with vocal harmonies when Mike Love came in the studio and kicked them out because he was afraid that Brian would leave him behind because they sounded so good.

Here is an mp3 of the entire interview:

• Members

Funny video about Mike Love. I just heard a radio interview today with Cory Wells of Three Dog Night. He was telling about his experience of working with Brian Wilson before TDN was launched. They were having a great time and really started to click with vocal harmonies when Mike Love came in the studio and kicked them out because he was afraid that Brian would leave him behind because they sounded so good.

Maybe Mike wasn't so off-base. In the early days of the Beach Boys, the rest of the group started feeling their oats and wondered why Brian should be calling the shots. Brian's response was to go into the studio and record his next song with hired backup singers...a little ditty called 'Surfer Girl'. When it became a hit, the rest of the guys got in line...

• Members

This inspired me to listen to the Beach Boys all night last night, which I really dont need that much inspiration as I already adore them. I think they might be the most amazing band of any sort of "rock" category that has ever come out of the U.S. Maybe one of the alltime greatest in the world.

EVER.

Timeless amazing, staggering talent, and awesome, fun songs, masterpieces of American pop culture. This stuff will still sound great 1000 years from now.

+1000

They are the only band that I think can hold up to The Beatles when it comes to songwriting.

...and I like their melodies even better...

Archived