I fell in love today... with a Squier!

Silverburst LP

• Members

I know, after you've been playing for a few years, you're not supposed to even look in the direction of lower end gear anymore (at least that's the word around some camp fires)...

But I went to my local music shoppe today and was just toying around with some cheaper guitars. They had a real nice Mexicaster ssh--the HB was a real SD. That was pretty fine for a low price. Then there was this peavey semi-hollow for less than 200--binding, set neck, double cut... it sounded nice, and felt good, but the tuners were plastic toys... yuck.

Anyway, i then moved over to this Squier strat. Cream white--you know, the "Hendrix color"... maple neck, and "Duncan Design" PUPs. I plugged into a little champ 600 and WOW!!:eek: This guitar sounded like genuine, bonafide Fender Strat. Quack, twang, bluesy chirp, and that distinct Strat sound.

I couldn't put it down. The neck was sooo smooth. The frets felt great. No buzz, great action, it had surprising sustain, and every position had its own, sweet tone. :love:

Less than 300$... I am buying this {censored}er friday, Squier or not. It was just a magical connection--when you're lucky enough to find that guitar that just works for you. :thu:

• Members

maybe it was the amp. :poke:

Not likely given that it was the Champ 600.

OP: you play the guitar, not the headstock. We've been beating this horse to death post after post after post. if you like it and it makes music, who gives a fvck what it says on the headstock!

• Members

maybe it was the amp. :poke:

I played it through 4 amps, the champ was just the first. :poke:I own two of the amps(same models) I played it through. :poke:If a guitar is {censored}, the amp isn't gonna save it--a JCM800, 60's Princeton Reverb, a Mesa Boogie, etc.:poke:

It was the guitar.:poke:

• Members

I played it through 4 amps, the champ was just the first. :poke:I own two of the amps(same models) I played it through. :poke:
If a guitar is {censored}, the amp isn't gonna save it
--a JCM800, 60's Princeton Reverb, a Mesa Boogie, etc.:poke:

It was the guitar.:poke:

Likewise if your amp sucks, buying the best guitar in the world won't help much. That's just the way it is. :poke:

• Members

Not likely given that it was the Champ 600.

OP: you play the guitar, not the headstock. We've been beating this horse to death post after post after post. if you like it and it makes music, who gives a fvck what it says on the headstock!

I agree wholeheartedly. I guess my OP was half-sarcasm, and I was also amazed at how sweet a Squier played and sounded. I had once considered buying a thinline, and loved it, but over the years, I hadn't touched any Squiers, and I sorta fell into that realm of just assuming that low price meant {censored} sound and feel. I was reborn today, and when I buy it, and the inevitable guitar snob douchebag has something to say, I'll be sure to tell them to lick the underside of my sack, and go hand over 1500$ if you think it makes that much difference. I get value appreciation, guts, wood quality and tone, but like you said, if it sounds good, who cares wtf the headstock says. And this was a FINE sounding strat. If you closed your eyes, you might not be able to tell the difference.

I think this was a VM or a deluxe. It didn't have that vibe sticker on it. Just looked like a Hendrix strat w/ the maple neck/fretboard. It was close to the one above, but the neck was a more piney looking wood texture--and fat like a tele neck. Had "Duncan Design" pups that were surprisingly hot, and the pots were very responsive.

I really, REALLY love this little thing. Can't wait till friday. :)

• Members

Likewise if your amp sucks, buying the best guitar in the world won't help much. That's just the way it is. :poke:

No doubt. For {censored}s and giggles my buddy unplugged from the champ into a SS 10w frontman for just a second and it was HORRIBLE!:facepalm::p

I DO delve in tubesnobbery, because, well, they just sound better and more pure-- usually.

And the champ 600 is a GREAT little practice/home/recording amp, IMO. Valve Jr. as well. But I'm thinking about getting one of those Vox AC4's and trading in my epi V jr.

• Members

I find it funny that you would say that after playing a while you don't look at cheaper stuff. I only started looking at Squiers and lower end guits long after I started getting serious about guit!

I went playing a bunch of guits at GC the other day just for kicks. Played a CV Duosonic, an Affinity Strat, a Squier standard Strat and a MIM Strat. Hated the Duosonic all the way around, liked the feel of the Affinity and the MIM but neither sounded very good, and was most impressed overall by the standard. I've bought a coupla Squiers (a 51 and an Affinity Tele) and would buy them again in a heartbeat.

• Members

Squier havee always been grand for the money, but they just keep getting better and better. TBH, I think they're almost too good for MIM Fender's comfort these days.... Only reason I don't have a brace of the CV series (two 50s Teles, one converted to Esquier, couple of 50s p basses, couple 50s Strats...) is the lack of left handers. Fender, like most of the big boys, aren't the best for lefty options, but their Squier range is abysmyl that way - Std Strat and P bass Special only. Alas, Fender, somebody else gets my money (at least until they do a CV 68 Strat.... ;) ).

• Members

I LOVE my VM squier telecustom II :love:, i just cant believe how damn good it is (neck is perfect, p90s are stupidly versatile), and its my cheapest guitar by a long shot! I only ever tried out one CV tele and didnt like it at all :idk: sticky neck and bad action... it was just one tho...

To my knowledge to VM an CV squiers are made in the indonesian Cort factory :thu: I dont know why but those Indonesians are damn good at making guitars :thu:

I too fell in love with a guitar I tried out the other day... unfortunately it was a $3750 '01 LP Custom :cry:

Archived