GRETSCH experts, need help on ELECTROMATICs and TV Jones?

Coolie No.1

• Members

I have really been bitten by the bug ever since I got a Reverend Club King RT.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the guitar in any way. Great Semi Hollow tone and with the bass contour can cover a wide variety of sounds.

However, I really would something that is completely hollow.

I have decided to get a Gretsch of some sort.

The electromatic 5120 is very tempting because it seems to have the quality and features I want.

Now, would it be a good idea to get a 5120 and change the pickups to TV Jones or go for the real thing, say a Brian Setzer Signature etc...

I can get the real thing. Money is not an issue. I can sell two of my guitars including the club King and add some.

Also speaking of TV Jones, Can someone give me a run down of his pickups?

Specifically the differences between the Classic, Filtertron, Powertrons.

Obviously I am going for the Brian Setzer tone.

Thanks

• Members

If you can afford it, don't mess with the Electromatics, just go straight for the Pro-line models. The Electromatics are good intermediate guitars, but the Terada-made Pro-line models take fit & finish to the next level. Plus, you won't have to fool with doing the pickup mods yourself.

• Members

Well, there's a huge difference in price between a 5120 and a 6120, so that's a decision you'll need to make for yourself. As to the TV Jones pups, Brian uses TV Classic in the neck and a Classic Plus in the bridge. Powertrons have more of a humbucker midrange, so they may not be what you want. A big part of Brian's sound, though, is that blonde Bassman he plays through...

• Members

Yah, but Electromatics are pretty good for the price point.

No doubt, the 6120s are a significant step up, but many can't afford it...

This is my feeling as well.

Not to discount what TartanPhantom has to say. He's a bastion of knowledge with a lot of Gretschy experience and he's been a great help to me.

I have had a chance to A/B a few Electromatics vs. the Pro-Line Gretsches. I've found them to be very comparable in fit and finish. I've played several 5120s and 6120s and several E'matic Jets as well as Pro-Jets.

I agree the E'matic pups are nowhere near the TV Jones ballpark, but they are serviceable.

Essentially, I believe the general build quality and playability are very similar. The E'matics can easily be upgraded to be "as good" as the Pro-level Gretsch stuff.

• Members

IMHO, if you want to

1) Get as close to a traditional Gretsch sound

2) Keep it in the three figure range $$ wise

3) Want a hollow body

The way to go is the
, G5126, G5127, G5128, G5129 series. The differences between the different numbers is only the color.

That's an excellent point. Perhaps the 2nd best (behind the Corvette) guitar in the Electromatic line, and unfortunately they were discontinued at the beginning of 2009. Yes, I know they are still shown on the website, but they are history. However, there are plenty of NOS models from 2005-2008 floating around.

• Members

....unfortunately they were
discontinued at the beginning of 2009.

Suck.

Well, rockystreetsounds* often has some listed on ebay. Get `em whilst the gettin's good.

*One of a handful of very reputable Gretsch online dealers who will cut you a price on a quality guitar that musician's friend, et al, will not match.

• Members

Yes, the Electromatics ARE pretty good for the price point. However, The main reason I mentioned about going Pro-line in my original post is that the OP stated quote:
"Money is no object."

If I were in that situation, I would run very fast past the Electros... straight to the Pro-line Gretsch models.

Right. I glossed over that "money is no object" comment. He mentions having to sell a couple of guitars, so actually money is an object. And why start at the Electros if money is not an object?

But, taking him at his literal word, you are indeed correct.

Thanks for the heads up on the discontinued 5125 line. I had no idea.

Are they still making the Corvettes?

• Members

Thanks for the heads up on the discontinued 5125 line. I had no idea.

Are they still making the Corvettes?

As I understand it, my sources inside Gretsch/FMIC state that the primary reason for the cancellation of the 5125 line is that the (USA made) DeArmond 2000 pickups are no longer in production, and there is no reasonable substitute for them... real Dynasonics are too expensive for the 5125 price point, so they can't just slap Dynas on and meet the target market.

However, there are currently three versions of the Corvette... and apparently they are selling well, because people are finding out that they are one of the best value Gretsch models around. Bang-for-the-buck is huge with the Corvette. It ain't going nowhere anytime soon!:thu:

• Members

not to be a cock, but i a/b'ed the korean and japanese gretsches once in a last ditch effort to save some cash. the electromatics aren't bad, but there is enough of a difference to make it worth it.

you can take the super slick route like me- i picked up a used 6118t. without the case and the live.com buy it now, it cost me about $1050. it is a japanese made, poly finished, stock filtertron (not tv jones) equipped guitar. best bang for the buck. i was pretty close to putting in tv jones, but i swapped the {censored}ty ass space control for a tru-arc bridge and it solved all my problems. every now and again i get a hair to consider the tv jones (which are awesome), but that's more of a curiosity than a need.

but whatever you decide, if it has a space control bridge, you have to swap it. mandatory.

love,

eor

• Members

IMHO, if you want to

1) Get as close to a traditional Gretsch sound

2) Keep it in the three figure range $$ wise

3) Want a hollow body

The way to go is the
Electromatic G5125
, G5126, G5127, G5128, G5129 series. The differences between the different numbers is only the color.

G5126_xl.jpg

Those are nice. It would not surprise me a bit to see a pro play one of those.

There is a clear difference between the 5000 and 6000 guitars though. Whether its worth three times the price is up to the buyer I guess.

But in that price range the Electromatics are some of the nicest out there.

I want a baritone Sparkle Jet Electromatic. :)

EG

• Members

If you get a Japanese 6120, I'd recommend getting one with a lacquer finish. They weren't available when I bought mine a few years ago. The poly looks great, but it's too shiny and will never dull to that nice Gretsch patina that we all love.

I bought a 6120-1960 with Gretsch Filtertrons about 4 years ago. I ended up installing TV Jones Classics on that guitar, and I really like the explosive upper midrange. Gretsch discontinued this model replacing it with the identical 1959 model. Chet's name now graces the pickguard--before the family struck a deal, it read "Nashville."

The plain version of the '59 goes for around $2400 and the lacquered model with TV Jones pickups adds another $424 (you can almost buy an Electromatic for the difference).

TV Jones pickups are going to run you $260 for a pair, so the lacquer finish really only adds around $160 to the price.

I have a Classic Plus in the bridge position of my Duo Jet Elliot Easton. It's a bit darker than the Classic which is great on the Duo, but I don't think I'd like it as much on the big orange hollow body. I also have a Powertron on my SG Classic and that is a terrific modern sounding pickup--a fantastic P90 substitute with lots of growl and attitude, again, a bit darker than the Classic.

TV Jones pickups are exteremely height sensitive. You have to get the bridge pickup exactly 5/32" from the bottom of the strings if you want optimum growl. That process might involve removing or adding shims and/or compression foam to get the height just right. Terada Gretsch guitars have a real hand-made/hand-fitted vibe to them, so if you're not comfortable hand fitting pickups with shims and rubber pads, get one with TVs already fitted.

Here's a tour of the Terada Factory

Here's my absolutely gorgeous 6120-1960. It intonates fine and stays in tune reasonably well. I use 12s which tend to hold the bridge pretty tight. I don't pound the crap out of it like Setzer, but I don't baby it either.

g6120.jpg

• Members

I have really been bitten by the bug ever since I got a Reverend Club King RT.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the guitar in any way. Great Semi Hollow tone and with the bass contour can cover a wide variety of sounds.

However, I really would something that is completely hollow.

I have decided to get a Gretsch of some sort.

The electromatic 5120 is very tempting because it seems to have the quality and features I want.

Now, would it be a good idea to get a 5120 and change the pickups to TV Jones or go for the real thing, say a Brian Setzer Signature etc...

I can get the real thing. Money is not an issue. I can sell two of my guitars including the club King and add some.

Also speaking of TV Jones, Can someone give me a run down of his pickups?

Specifically the differences between the Classic, Filtertron, Powertrons.

Obviously I am going for the Brian Setzer tone.

Thanks

You like Reverend, did you look at getting a Pete Anderson signature Reverend?

Archived