Don't Laugh: Recommend Me Some Beatles (See Post For Details.)

bfrance

• Members

People have reasons for making the artistic choices they make, generally, and most fellow artists respect that - the good ones anyway. Just sayin'.

Okay I get the message.

I'm no good artist. I can live with that.

Do you feel the same way about coverbands too? I mean,.. the music was made a certain way and no-one is allowed to touch it right?

Luckily this doesn't count for classical music otherwise every classical musician and conductor would be out of a job.

So re-mixing is bad but re-mastering is no problem.

In my opinion a re-mastering job can enhance what the mixing-engineer did but it could also kill everything.

I'm just being funny here Lee. I love the beatles and all their work and I don't mean I want a Beatles Box set re-mixed by Bruce Swedien. I'd just love to hear what he could do with the material all be it to compare 2 versions for studying only.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So re-mixing is bad but re-mastering is no problem.

In my opinion a re-mastering job can enhance what the mixing-engineer did but it could also kill everything.

Of course it can! And if a remastering job butchers what the original artist did then I'm the first one to say so.

The job of mastering, though, is not to change what the original artist did but simply to make sure it translates to multiple environments. Very different from a remix job. So yes, IN THEORY a remaster is OK - at least unless the mastering engineer really {censored}s it up or tries to assert their own ego in the master.

I'm usually suspicious of people other than the original artist wanting to remix a work that's considered classic by many people - whether I like the original work or not. It just seems like only a massive ego would believe their "vision" of a classic would be an improvement on something millions of people already love as-is. And that's why most of the great producers and engineers don't do that sort of thing.

I'm just being funny here Lee. I love the beatles and all their work and I don't mean I want a Beatles Box set re-mixed by Bruce Swedien. I'd just love to hear what he could do with the material all be it to compare 2 versions for studying only.

Well that's a little different. That's not how you made it sound in your original post. I actually did enjoy the Love remix album that Ethan Johns did. But I would not have enjoyed it if it had been touted as an official re-release of a Beatles record. And I don't think I'd enjoy it either if all of a sudden we had a crapload of different "great producers and engineers" doing remixed versions of Beatles songs (or any other classic recordings), at least not if they were public releases.

• Members

I think it's important to remember that on almost every song, it was the *mono* mix that got the bulk of attention from the Beatles, their balance engineer, their producer and the Abbey Road staff. The stereo mix was usually an afterthought - Geoff Emerick told me that himself, in an interview, and he and George Martin have said that repeatedly in books and articles over the years.

I, for one, am MOST excited about hearing the mono mixes. From what I've read the mono versions will be handled with the least amount of compression, eq and digital "cleaning up"... the remixed STEREO versions will be treated with a slightly heavier hand.

I also get the impression that everyone involved in the remastering process has the utmost respect for the Beatles' body of work - and the work that Emerick, Norman Smith, Glyn Johns, George Martin, etc. et al DID back in the day, and that the last thing they want to do is detract from the original artistic intent.

Having said that, I actually have a call into Geoff Emerick. If I can reach him I will ask him his thoughts on the matter.

• Members

Pop quiz Beatles fans...what were the 2 tunes recorded in another language by the Beatles....

I can think of 3 actually. ;) They did German versions of "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" and "She Loves You." They also recorded "Besame Mucho" which is in Spanish.

But don't mind me, I'm a sicko. :lol:

• Members

Pop quiz Beatles fans...what were the 2 tunes recorded in another language by the Beatles....

"Komm Gib Mir Deine Hand" (German version of "I Want to Hold Your Hand")

"Sie Liebt Dich" (German version of "She Loves You")

Archived