Guitar Pic of the Day - 10.20.09

Help!I'maRock!

• Members

today's GPOTD belongs to Jkater.

Picture019.jpg

Pac904back.jpg

Year: 2007

Manufacturer: Yamaha Japan

Model: PAC904 (Top of the Pacifica range)

Case: N/A. I am modifying a fiberglass Calton case for it.

Color: Two tone sunburst.

Body: back: two-piece alder, top: thick swamp ash cap.

Pup configuration: Four single-coils (bridge single or two combined)

Description: Made in Japan/USA. Warmoth neck with compound radius fretboard (9 1/2" - 15 3/4") and Dunlop 6105 frets. Sperzel locking tuners. Four alnico V single coils. Mint green three-ply Pick-guard. Custom two point trem bridge of very high quality. Fully shielded and very quiet. Quality of craftmanship typical of highest models of japanese Yamaha electrics.

Condition: New

Price: 965 Euros ($1,200 us). No longer available in the west.

• Members

most under-rated guitar ever built in my humble opinion. Flawless build, so easy to play and they sound great. A friend of mine plays one through an old marshall vs100 combo and it sounds fantastic, i'm always hating on him because his entire rig cost him just over

• Members

Would.

It's weird that the neck is Warmoth though...I wouldn't have thought Yamaha would source a neck instead of build their own.

Yamaha and Warmoth have been teaming up for some time for their top models. My guess is that warmoth provides the neck with the compound radius fretboard and frets installed and Yamaha did the finishing, fretwork and abalone headstock inlays in Japan.

• Members

Yamaha and Warmoth have been teaming up for some time for their top models. My guess is that warmoth provides the neck with the compound radius fretboard and frets installed and Yamaha did the finishing, fretwork and abalone headstock inlays in Japan.

That says a lot about the quality of those higher end yammy's. Warmoth makes a damn fine neck.

• Members

That says a lot about the quality of those higher end yammy's. Warmoth makes a damn fine neck.

Satin at the back, high gloss on the front of the headstock, fretboard is unfinished, of course, but so polished it's almost glossy, the 9.5" - 15.75" compound radius is a brillant idea. no matter how much or where I bend, there is not the slightest loss of clarity or fretting out. Love the 6105 frets, perfect size. That neck must be worth some bucks! It is rather chunky unlike the usual Pacifica necks that tend to be small.

• Members

Satin at the back, high gloss on the front of the headstock, fretboard is unfinished, of course, but so polished it's almost glossy, the 9.5" - 15.75" compound radius is a brillant idea. no matter how much or where I bend, there is not the slightest loss of clarity or fretting out. Love the 6105 frets, perfect size. That neck must be worth some bucks! It is rather chunky unlike the usual Pacifica necks that tend to be small.

Thats my favorite wire at the moment. Tall, but thinner than typical jumbos that tend to have a large shoulders that slow down bending.

• Members

I guess I'll put my head on the chopping block: It's a beautiful git, and I'm sure it plays great but I'm also willing to bet that if you compared the resale value of it to an American Deluxe strat (roughly comparable) you'd find the Yamaha lagging.

I'm just being honest...

simon_cowell.jpg

• Members
I guess I'll put my head on the chopping block: It's a beautiful git, and I'm sure it plays great but I'm also willing to bet that if you compared the resale value of it to an American Deluxe strat (roughly comparable) you'd find the Yamaha lagging.

Your head is quite safe and quite level, too.

You are absolutely right. Many reasons for this. One being that the name Pacifica is associated with the 112 rather than being known as a line of guitars that range from the mass produced entry level right up to the custom shop US made one-offs that cost a few thousands. All bearing the name Pacifica but the upper shelf ones being very rare and unknown.

PS: Resale value is completely irrelevant in this case. :)

• Members

Wait..Let me get this straight..That's not a veneer is it?

It's a thick cap. I put a strong spotlight on the dark (but still transparent) part of the sunburst near the outer edge of the contoured armrest area and could see the oblical straight line where alder and ash meet. Following that line to the edge, I could get an idea how think it is. It's at least 1/4 of the thickness of the body.

Interesting thing about those 904 swamp ash caps is they rarely look spectacular. Mine is one of the better looking ones I've seen. Conversely, the ash veneer on the lower model pacificas (300 series) always look gorgeous because that's strictly what they are for: looking good.

Edit: I got curious about the thickness of the cap and, armed with a strong flashlight and a precise 32th" ruler, measured it. The body is 1 3/4 " thick and the ash cap 15/32th" thick so roughly 1/4 of the body thickness.

Archived