I can't usually write when I'm happy

Phait

• Members

Most of us have been blessed with that short spurt of inspiration to visit us, writing itself. However, waiting for her to show up can be very frustrating. Sometimes, especially when its been a while, just sitting down and reading through older lyrics will spark something or at least you`ll find a line to work with. Then when you find that one line, write the next and just keep writing. Most of the time what follows makes little sense but if you stay with it, you may be surprised to find there is something in there to work with the original idea.

I wish it were easier but writing is a lot of work and thats why I have the ultimate respect for writers & those who can take those ideas (producers, engineers/mixers) and make them into something interesting and enjoyable.

Also, many song ideas have come to me when I have had a deadline. If I know I have to go somewhere in about an hour, I`ll sit down and start fumbling around. Sometimes... sparks fly like when I wrote "Happy Mothers Day" (which I wrote in about the time to sings it!). Again, it doesn`t happen much but when it does... whew, its a beautiful thing.

Lastly, if you run, writing is very much like it. Somedays you can go for miles, some days you`re really dragging your feet, somedays you don`t even put your sneakers on. I have found that what works best for me is to stop in once a day or so with pen and paper or just pick up the guitar and see what the mood is up to. I think every writer will confess that its painful most of the time, but it does get easier after a while because you 1) develop ideas and 2) have some sort of system in place.

A system... I could write a book on that but I`ll just say its about establishing some sort of routine for now.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Pain has but one Acquaintance

And that is Death --

Each one unto the other

Society enough.

Pain is the Junior Party

By just a Second's right --

Death tenderly assists Him

And then absconds from Sight.

Yet Death is but a passing

Yonder years to Birth

Like murky waters in shadow

Like the Earth now Dearth: more mirth!

We hold the Key!

But can Death acquaint Him?

Who Is and All and One

When Death and Life are both the same

To the World He has begun?

We hold the Key!

• Members

IF you cannot write anything it's most likely because you have'nt been LEARNING anything lately.
So one must keep up with the studies. By that I mean keep learning songs and learning chords and progressions and all that goes with that. .
Keep learning about alliteration and rhyme schemes and meter.

you must keep learning new songs and new genres.

study poetry and lyrics by writeing it down in LONGHAND so you are able to feel the words come alive under your PENCIL. look for the different rhyme schemes and see how the syllables are used as meter.

learn twenty new songs in different genres then learn twenty more. Record your efforts as you can and then listen to YOUR VERSION compared to the original and study the differences.

I can be happy or sad or even mad or just feel normal(LOL)and write whatever I wish whenever I wish, where ever I wish. be it on Piano or guitar or what have you. As long As I keep learning new stuff then I can always write whatever I wish in whatever genres I wish at the drop of a hat.

All that garbage about taking a walk or haveing to be in some sort of crisis is so much bull shirt.
if you need some sort of push then push yourself to LEARN NEW MATERIAL.
keep learning new stuff.
it's that simple.
KISS.

Thanks for lettin' me share
TD

• Members

I bet your inner editor is killing you. Cause writing a "positive" not in pain love song that doesn't sound cliche or lame and doesn't suck is one of the most difficult things to do today. They aren't exactly in fashion. It may be counter to the genre that you typically write in.

js

This really sums my issue up I believe. While I have written before upbeat songs, they just are not my forte. I think it's outlined in js1's post why, really.

Also Arrel's post reminds me I haven't quite written since February http://machinefaultred.blogspot.com. Here's a post outlining a successful upbeat song.

Sure, I've come up with a couple things on acoustic semi-recently, but nothing fitting for what I am trying to write! I had also considered using old material - riffs, lyrics... but it doesn't feel right. The few things I do have were written for specific people and I am just unable to break that, nor would I want to.

Appreciate all the input.

• Members

Ok,
sometimes I can
, but lately I can't. Want to write a song for my girl, and yet it worries me I haven't even written a
poem
in 6 months of knowing her. That's
not like me
-- I usually have something I want to write and can get on paper..

Use that to your advantage in you lyrics. That is your song.

I can't find the words...to express my love......etc.

OR.............My love is beyond words..........etc.

Dan

• Members

My biggest fear is that because I can't seem to write anything, it means my feelings don't actually exist.

Have you tried to write after making love... like within an hour or so? This has always been my absolute best state of creativity. Everyone is different... YMMV.

• Members

Have you tried to write after making love... like within an hour or so? This has always been my absolute best state of creativity. Everyone is different... YMMV.

I'd have to wait until October!

The more I think about it, perhaps my fear is irrational.\n

I had other things I've wanted to write, emotions and what not - but couldn't come up with ANYTHING -- but the feelings were definitely still there.

I feel a bit relieved...

• Members

My biggest fear is that because I can't seem to write anything, it means my feelings don't actually exist.

I`ve known my wife for 12 years. I`ve written two songs about/to her. Sometimes "love" is not meant to be put into words. Anyways, I have not heard too many good lyrics when it comes to love but some ring true...

"Some times love just isn`t enough..."

"You love is like bad medicine, bad medicine is all I need..." cheesy but true...

Of course, this raises the question, what exactly is love?

This whole thread is giving me an idea... lets write a song together!

Here, I`ll start...

You, you`re like something I can`t explain

Something beyond my understanding

Beyond all the words I`ve ever known

And this feeling, something I`ve never known before

Can you tell me, is this the love that I`ve heard of

And you, are you the one I`ve been looking for...

• Members

Lemme start.

Stay away little girl
Far from Von Hagenwil
Here in my arms
Your ass is safe with me

Can it be it was different then?
Or has Rudy forgotten where it goes?
Don't give him a chance to do it once again
Tell me woody, could he?

Archived