I can't usually write when I'm happy

Phait

• Members

Ok, sometimes I can, but lately I can't. Want to write a song for my girl, and yet it worries me I haven't even written a poem in 6 months of knowing her. That's not like me -- I usually have something I want to write and can get on paper.

Maybe I'm really a robot :idea: Anyway, been strumming around on the acoustic but alas, nothing. Dry spell, or have I lost touch with feelings?

I once wrote a lot about a girl I had an unrequited love with, couple years ago. I'd written when I was infatuated, smitten, down or in love but not in a relationship with said person. Now that I'm in a relationship it's like the doors are sealed closed. How I could write so much about someone I loved but wasn't with... and now, can't write {censored} about someone I love and am with... baffles me.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hey Phait,

Yeah I know the feeling. My most productive writing comes after major setbacks or times when I`m down. After my band broke up, I wrote, after 9.11, I wrote and after losing a good friend, I wrote. Sorrow needs an outlet...

The good news is that eventually your relationship with your woman will get come down to earth... they always do. Then you`ll have something to write about. I`m not trying to be a jerk but everyone knows in the that first year or so of being in love, everything is completely awesome and then something happens. Its just the element of being human so you have something to look forward to in your writing... lousy times ahead! :D

• Members

I've learned to channel other emotions into my writing. You equate your creative output with negative emotions, probably because they're the strongest emotions you experience. Learn to be inspired by the amazing things. Or (and this is harder), learn how to summon feelings that aren't based in your immediate environment when you want to write.

Personally, I absolutely NEVER can sit down and say, "Okay, time to write a song," and have anything decent come out under any circumstances. The song comes to me, and I have to be open enough to channel it to paper and guitar (or whatever).

• Members

Oh, yes, that's right, have your girlfriend hit you with a ball peen hammer and then sit down and bang out a song.

I have more advice if you need it, and that's very sweet of me.

:lol::lol::lol:Not aware of the other kinds of pain I see. Good. :)

• Members

This made me think of the album "On the Other Side" by Tierney Sutton:

http://my.itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZPersonalizer.woa/wa/viewCMA?id=209335059

... full of upbeat titles -- "Get Happy", "Make Someone Happy", "You Are My Sunshine", "Happy Days Are Here Again" -- but, as the review says, "these are some of the saddest renditions of happy tunes you'll ever hear, and Sutton's reinventions are such a success because she's so believably bummed."

Her "You Are My Sunshine", in particular, will break your heart.... :cry:

• Members

The solution is easy: create regular havoc thoughout your life!

Worked for many ...you could even put that little "e" at the end of the word artiste.

Jeff had some thoughts worth considering above but I suggest that waiting for inspiration is likely to let many fine opportunities pass.

"Fate favors the prepared mind."

"Invention is 10% inspiration & 90% persperation."

Or something like that.

I think one can sit down (or stand up) & attempt creativity as a deliberate act. You may not achieve something great every time but you can find a kernel to polish.

Try this: when you arise in the morning, before thinking of anything, go to your desk & writeor draw or to an instrument & play.

• Members

:lol:
:lol::lol:Not aware of the other kinds of pain I see. Good.
:)

There's many many different kinds of pain. And I'm imploring you and EB and Phait to explore as many of them as possible through songwriting.

• Members

Ok,
sometimes I can
, but lately I can't. Want to write a song for my girl, and yet it worries me I haven't even written a
poem
in 6 months of knowing her. That's
not like me
-- I usually have something I want to write and can get on paper.

Maybe I'm really a robot
:idea:
Anyway, been strumming around on the acoustic but alas, nothing. Dry spell, or have I lost touch with feelings?

It may not be that you can't write songs, but that you can't write this kind of song. Which is the song that you want to write at this point....

I bet your inner editor is killing you. Cause writing a "positive" not in pain love song that doesn't sound cliche or lame and doesn't suck is one of the most difficult things to do today. They aren't exactly in fashion. It may be counter to the genre that you typically write in.

So, here's a question - can you think of a NEW song in your genre that you think nails the feelings you're trying to communicate?

js

• Members

I can't usually write when I'm happy...

Ok, sometimes I can, but lately I can't.

You are nothing but an ass, who sucks eggs, and your mother wears combat boots. Just kill yourself now and spare us any further misery. We will use the spare O2 wisely. Or you could write your girl a little story about how you have a small peni and you last 12 seconds on the second round.

Better now? ;)

• Members

I know you're kidding. At least, I hope you're kidding! :D

Write about what inspires you, what pisses you off, what moves you.

Other than females.

And if females are the only source for what inspires you, what pisses you off, and what moves you....go see a therapist!! :D

• Members

So two days before the next time I would see my girl counselor, I dreamed I was being led into a walk-in cooler in a restaurant with some other people being held at gunpoint by three black males. My perspective kept alternating in the dream. First I was one of the employees being led into the cooler and I could feel her fear and her wondering if she was going to die. Then the scene would change and I was standing behind the assailants, watching them and the whole thing like a movie. It was one of "Those Dreams." I woke up disoriented because it seemed like I had actually been there.

So when I woke up I called the counselor and told her about the dream and she wrote it all down and we talked for a couple minutes. Not more than an hour later she called me and said, "Timothy, turn on your TV to CBS news! I can't believe this is happening."

So I turned on the TV to 12:00 news to see a live report at the Arby's restaurant in town, with police cars surrounding it. Turned out three black males had robbed the restaurant in the early AM right after closing time.... like around 1:00 AM I think. They marched the manager and employees into the walk-in cooler and locked them in. The morning shift found them when they came in, cold but otherwise unharmed.

Aren't you avoiding the obvious? You're talking about an event that happened almost 12 hours before you said anything about your dream, and are being credited for predicting the future.

Isn't it far more likely that it happened because you dreamed it, that you weren't predicting the future as much as causing it?

I only say that because I once dreamed about an enormous zeppelin exploding into flames. A day or so later, the Hindenburg attempted to dock in Lakehurst New Jersey. It would be easy enough for me to claim that I had some sort of premonition. But why avoid taking responsibility? I dreamed it, it happened. I'll have to live with that for the rest of my life. I also dreamed about a ship hitting an iceberg, which also came to pass, but was able to alleviate my guilt decades later after dreaming about a movie based on the event that would thrill audiences all over the globe. I dreamed it would star Kate Winslet and Johnny Depp, which it did, except for Johnny Depp, so perhaps someone else had a casting dream that overrode mine. But I digress.

My point is, if you dream something and it happens, why not man up and take responsibility for that which you caused?

• Members

Hey Phait,

Been giving this some thought because the art of writing is close to my heart. Many of the ideas here are valid. Why do you feel the need to only write songs about relationships? Maybe you don`t but I`m guessing the wonder of a new relationship has you riding high so you can`t get inspired. How about writing a song about how great this time is and you hope it never changes?

The other idea which I do a lot is to go see a movie that I normally wouldn`t go see, for example, I went to see The Time Travelers Wife yesterday with my wife. I would never see this movie on my own but as I`m sitting there, I`m getting all these crazy song ideas. I know Lennon used to watch a lot of TV while writing. John Reznik from the Goo Goo Dolls is often asked to write songs for movies.... how does he get his ideas? he watches the movies!

There you go my friend. Some more ideas for you. Don`t pressure yourself to write anything you don`t feel. Put yourself in someone elses shoes and write from their perspective.

Let us know your progress.

• Members

There's many many different kinds of pain. And I'm imploring you and EB and Phait to explore as many of them as possible through songwriting.

The pain is like a pressure

Immense and heavy Crown

Every time I try to fly away

The chains still bind me down!

So what proof do you have?

O God of the Machine?

To break the bonds of Earthly life

Your mischief I have seen!

So show me something now!

And force me to believe

Otherwise you're just a hack

Who looks but can't deceive.

• Members

So I guess the moral of the story is that therapists can be dangerous... and quite beautiful at the same time.

Virile beings so often live life on the razor's edge. I know you know this, but for the benefit of others, yes? Yeah. I've gone to see a therapist before as well. Sometimes they're beautiful. And dangerous. Sometimes they mount you, breaching all patient-therapist protocols, their career, at that moment, a mere trifle, the APA, something to abandon to the passion of the moment. But as virile beings that few women can resist, that's the chance we have to take, isn't it?

And let's face it, Beck...it's not just with therapists. It's whenever the fairer sex is present, is it not? It's just a risk that one must take. You go to the hairstylist. She begins with a caress, moves her hand slowly down her neck, down your chest. Why, how many times has that happened? But they're so beautiful, so you return. And so it goes.

• Members

My point is, if you dream something and it happens, why not man up and take responsibility for that which you caused?

I've recently dreamt about an encounter with Michelle Yeoh. I am, indeed, willing to man up and take responsibility if it ever happens. I felt you should know that some of us do take responsibility for our actions, my furry friend.

• Members

The pain is like a pressure

Immense and heavy Crown

Every time I try to fly away

The chains still bind me down!

So what proof do you have?

O God of the Machine?

To break the bonds of Earthly life

Your mischief I have seen!

So show me something now!

And force me to believe

Otherwise you're just a hack

Who looks but can't deceive.

If pain for peace prepares

Lo, what "Augustan" years

Our feet await!

If springs from winter rise,

Can the Anemones

Be reckoned up?

If night stands fast -- then noon

To gird us for the sun,

What gaze!

When from a thousand skies

On our developed eyes

Noons blaze!

• Members

If pain for peace prepares

Lo, what "Augustan" years

Our feet await!

If springs from winter rise,

Can the Anemones

Be reckoned up?

If night stands fast -- then noon

To gird us for the sun,

What gaze!

When from a thousand skies

On our developed eyes

Noons blaze!

Nations will rise

And to demise and size our fate

From nothing can our glory

From nothing can our Glory ever escape!

From nothing can you find

A charm or each sublime

A time to line a crime

Casts the spell divine!

The time of dawn is near

So dear, so clear: so fear!

Fear the rapture coming!

From the words of Darkened year!

Gird up your saddle

Straddle and paddle to here!

Fear the rapture coming!

• Members

Nations will rise

And to demise and size our fate

From nothing can our glory

From nothing can our Glory ever escape!

From nothing can you find

A charm or each sublime

A time to line a crime

Casts the spell divine!

The time of dawn is near

So dear, so clear: so fear!

Fear the rapture coming!

Gird up your saddle

Straddle and paddle to here!

Fear the rapture coming!

Pain has but one Acquaintance

And that is Death --

Each one unto the other

Society enough.

Pain is the Junior Party

By just a Second's right --

Death tenderly assists Him

And then absconds from Sight.

• Members

Jeff had some thoughts worth considering above but I suggest that waiting for inspiration is likely to let maany fine opportunities pass.

Halfnote makes a great point here. I was only talking about MY writing style, and I'm fortunate that The Muse (or whatever the hell you want to call it) visits me pretty often. Other people are really good at sitting down and writing something good on demand. Just not me. :)

Archived