MIM vs MIA Fenders... your personal preference and why?

GRAF

• Members

I've recently been able to play many of each and as long as the pickups are equal I can't really find any differences. :idk:

Sometimes it seems the necks play a little faster on the MIA but I think that might be more psychological than anything.

I trust many players here have and do own both and probably have personal preferences for why they pick up one over the other.

So, what has been your experiences? Worth the extra few hundred to go MIA? :idk:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

MIA, they have a nicer finish on them and the maple is nicer. I prefer the pickups too, and the trem and basically everything about them

Agreed.

However, as many swap pickups it seems the remaining differences are trivial and have nothing to do with tone.

But there's certainly differences in QC and wood selection. :thu:

• Members

Don't own either but played a bunch helping a friend look. The obvious difference to me was the necks. The MIA nearly always felt much nicer. There was the odd mexican that felt better than the odd USA but that was rare. And to me there is nothing trivial about the feel of a neck. In my opinion it's probably one of the most important things along with resonance.

• Members

Don't own either but played a bunch helping a friend look. The obvious difference to me was the necks. The MIA nearly always felt much nicer. There was the odd mexican that felt better than the odd USA but that was rare. And to me there is nothing trivial about the feel of a neck. In my opinion it's probably one of the most important things along with resonance.

See, thats the only difference I can even corner down on a regular basis, yet I'm terribly confused by the fact that the MIM factory doesn't even make necks. In fact, all MIM Fenders have MIA necks on them.

But there is certainly a difference, my guess is they use lower quality woods for the ones to be exported? :confused:

• Members

Probably a good rule of thumb.
:thu:

See, thats the only difference I can even corner down on a regular basis, yet I'm terribly confused by the fact that the MIM factory doesn't even make necks. In fact, all MIM Fenders have MIA necks on them.

But there is certainly a difference, my guess is they use lower quality woods for the ones to be exported?
:confused:

MIA necks are a tad wider and have rolled edges. It might account for the difference in feel.

• Members

Probably a good rule of thumb.
:thu:

But there is certainly a difference, my guess is they use lower quality woods for the ones to be exported?

My guess would be finishing. I'd assume that all of them are CNC'd and then given to someone for some final sanding, coating etc. I'm guessing that the USA's spend more time in someone's hand getting a more personal touch. Probably a matter of orders to fill and deadlines to meet. To me it's what sets the really great guitars apart. I have two fender high end japanese copies. Hand made. And that's where they just slay everything I've ever layed hands on. The feel of the necks seem like it was gone over and over and over till everything felt perfect. Just not enough time to do that in a mass production environment.

• Members

My guess would be finishing. I'd assume that all of them are CNC'd and then given to someone for some final sanding, coating etc. I'm guessing that the USA's spend more time in someone's hand getting a more personal touch. Probably a matter of orders to fill and deadlines to meet. To me it's what sets the really great guitars apart. I have two fender high end japanese copies. Hand made. And that's where they just slay everything I've ever layed hands on. The feel of the necks seem like it was gone over and over and over till everything felt perfect. Just not enough time to do that in a mass production environment.

Oh totally, I would imagine the MIA Fenders get more time in the hands of a tech before getting thrown in the box. :idea:

I've never played a MIJ Fender but everyone says they're some of the best out there, which is interesting as they supposedly use lesser quality woods and electronics than the MIA ones? :confused:

• Members

Ahhh... so there are actual technical differences then. See I just kind of figured it was all QC.
:idea:

Oh totally, I would imagine the MIA Fenders get more time in the hands of a tech before getting thrown in the box.

I've never played a MIJ Fender but everyone says they're some of the best out there, which is interesting as they supposedly use lesser quality woods and electronics than the MIA ones?

LOL...well I didn't say they were fender! They're seymour duncans made by esp.

My strat

SDstrat.jpg

SDstrat2.jpg

This would be equivalent to high end custom shop or master built level from fender.

Fender Japan also has a custom shop from what I understand and they make some crazy nice guitars too. There are so many models from Fender Japan that it's hard to make generalizations about wood etc.

Funny, I just remembered a mexican tele my friend and I played. It had a "custom shop" neck plate on it (mexican custom shop??) and it was pricey. Around 800 bucks. But the neck on that thing was basically as nice as the neck on my SD tele. Felt amazing. So it just goes to show that there are exceptions if you look hard. But generally they do tend to fall in line with price.

• Members

LOL...well I didn't say they were fender! They're seymour duncans made by esp.

My strat

SDstrat.jpg

SDstrat2.jpg

This would be equivalent to high end custom shop or master built level from fender.

Fender Japan also has a custom shop from what I understand and they make some crazy nice guitars too. There are so many models from Fender Japan that it's hard to make generalizations about wood etc.

Funny, I just remembered a mexican tele my friend and I played. It had a "custom shop" neck plate on it (mexican custom shop??) and it was pricey. Around 800 bucks. But the neck on that thing was basically as nice as the neck on my SD tele. Felt amazing. So it just goes to show that there are exceptions if you look hard. But generally they do tend to fall in line with price.

Oh snap! That is beautiful! :love:

And I agree with you 100%, it seems with the MIMs, the more expensive, the better the neck. Some of the signature models come straight from the box playing perfectly.

• Members

The higher end MIMs are definitely competitive with the MIA Standards. It's a toss up as to what features a person is looking for at that point.

Having said that, I prefer my '08 Standards as the fretwork is very well done. Not a sharp fret on them. Nor any high or low frets. I still prefer the colors and styles of the higher end MIMs though.

• Members

MIA necks are a tad wider and have rolled edges. It might account for the difference in feel.

Yes. I much prefer the more 'vintage spec' of the MIM necks. I also have a very distinct preference for the vintage-style, six screw trem over the two-post option. I actually have an MIA Std I boguth new back in 1994. Still love it, but had I known then what I know now, I wouldn't have spent the extra on MIA. The MIAs I really like are the vintage RI models, but those are more than I'm willing to spend, even on the used market, and I'm no fan of nitro. I have a very distinct preference for a good modern poly finish that won't wear so quickly or easily. I'd probably have quite a few of the vintage style MIMs, but their left handed provision is piss poor (Std Strat and Tele, Std J bass - that's it), so I am instead looking at non-Fender alternatives.

• Members

I think it's a matter of scale and features. I've played higher end MIM's that killed Highway 1 guitars. I've never played a MIM Standard anything that really impressed me though. I've only ever owned MIA and MIJ/CIJ Fenders. I think MIA, overall, has the best quality and attention to detail, CIJ has a consistency to their quality not found with the others, and MIM has good value and some features not found with MIA/CIJ.

• Members

Two main reasons that I prefer my MIA Tele to the MIM models I have owned: 1) The electronics...especially the pups are just better, IMO. 2) The neck...just feels better (finish), fretwork is more refined, and the rolled edges are awesome. Plus, the cases that the MIA guitars come with is just awesome!

• Members

ha just the opposite to me. I had an american tele and mim tele (both 2006) and I ended up selling the mia. I do feel the pickups were more jangly but the neck on the mim is thicker and overall the axe felt like more of a workhorse. I don't even know what "rolled edges" means but I love the chunky neck. hmm love the neck on my sg faded special too I guess I likeum thick.

• Members

Well in my case it might be a case of familiarity but when I went down to check out MIA none of them felt better than my current 03 MIM. I did this to see if it might be worth getting rid of the MIM which needs a refret or a new neck and use the $$ to buy a "better" guitar. But seems that I really like the neck I have ...maybe I got lucky. The pups are ok but based on my love affair with my BG Pure90's I'll look to get a set of Vintage 60's after I get the re-fret done

• Members

I own both---MIM strat, MIA tele. They are my only electric guitars, and I gig frequently.

The neck finish, edges, and frets are much better on the MIA. I love the glossed fretboard of the MIA, as well.

I swapped out pickups on both guitars, so no comment on electronics. But, even with better pickups, the MIM sounds a bit *lifeless* when amplified to band levels.

The MIA is 3 pieces of alder, the MIM is easily 7+ pieces.

MIA came with an incredible case; MIM did not.

So, the neck is the most obvious advantage to the MIA, IMO. Body wood, too---I can hear a difference. :p

• Members

I've got an MIM Strat and an MIA Strat Plus. Guess it's not all that fair to compare the two given they're very different models, but I like them both. Honestly my MIM is my number 1. It doesn't have the most amazing pickups in the world, but it feels right.

The MIA is currently in need of work, but it does have a very beautiful neck. Gold Lace Sensor pickups, too.

I'd say get an MIM and if you're really unhappy with the pickups, get some new ones. It'll still cost less than an MIA. Ultimately, just play with whichever one feels right to you.

• Members

You know.....

The real answer to this question has more to do with what youre looking for and how picky you are than anything else and that has to do with quality and what "qualities" youre sensitive to.

There are definate differences between the MIMs amd the MIAs and once again, it really comes down to quality. If you remove a MIM trem system and compare it side-by-side with the MIA, the differenses are obvious and the MIA wins hands down. Now, compare the MIA or Fender Vintage trem to a Callaham Trem and you'll find more obvious differences, all related to QUAILTY. Same with the bodys. The MIA uses fewer pcs to build the body and usually, the higher end bodies have even fewer pcs and therefore, more ring.

Necks? We can write a book about necks but for tone, the bigger the better. Feel comes from the neck shape and how the edges are shaped and/or rolled. More $$$ buys moreshop time and a better neck.

In a nutshell, what the MIAs start to do is give the player a higher quality, better playing instrument, at a price that might be affordable.

Heres what I've found...

I have a MIM that I've set up very carefully and I've installed some expensive pickups in it as well. It plays and sounds damn good and everyone who play it is happy and admiring of it untill they take a spin on the EJ Sig. They might like the MIM a lot but give em a choice and they'll take the EJ, hands down. It not only sounds better plugged or unplugged but it plays and feels better. Much better.

What you like and need, usually changes with time, experience and circumstances. Therefore, these are fruitless discussions. (Hell... My 13yo Grandson thinks his Starcaster is the bees knees!) unless the discussion takes place between people who have some similar experiences and a matching understanding of the different levels of quality.

Just remember... SRV's instruments were all rebuilt several times by a master luthier and theres a reason why most good players buy hand rebuilt or custom guitars and it aint ego. They really are better guitars!

• Members

I own two MIM Standard Teles. I tried out everything in the shop MIA included and to me I just could not find a MIA that I could bond with. The two that I did bond with the only problem I had was the neck pickup on both. they just seemed lifeless. but that problem got solved with a Seymour Duncan STL1 and a STR! in the Tele and a STL1b in the Esquire solved that. After modding the bridge and tuners and a few other minor mods it sounds better then any of the other MIAs that I tried in shop. And after mods it still cost me less then what a MIA would cost.

One other thing, when people hear both guitars they can't believe that they are MIMs. In fact I had one guy argue with me after I told him it was a MIM that there was no way it was a MIM because it didn't sound like a MIM. And this business about MIAs haveing nicer maple is bull I've seen alot of MIMs with flamed maple mecks and this was on the Standards.

So to answer the OPs question I would have to go with the MIM.

• Members

one guy summed it up pretty well awhile back...

MIM Fenders - made by Mexicans in Mexico

MIA Fenders - made by Mexicans in the U.S.

All I can say is several years ago I pulled out both MIA and MIM Fender Strats and played at least 10 maybe more and chose an MIM. I didn't look at the back of the necks where the Made in USA / Mexico stamp before I played them (money was not an object). I just went by tone, feel, craftsmanship, etc... and ended up with an MIM Custom Shop 60's Classic and it's been a great guitar...