what guitars should tall people avoid, and what should they seek?

twotimingpete

• Members

If you're tall you should avoid short scale guitars and should look at long scale guitars. Have you considered a Soloway Swan guitar? Most Soloway guitars are 26"___ scale length. He just started making a new model which is 25.5" scale length. I think it's called a Gosling.

• Members

Well Im short (5'7") and have 2 explorers and a firebird (studio)
:facepalm:

I keep banging the explorers into things and the firebird feels like a bass
:lol:

Have you considered some Jacksons? They look pretty small to me, except a a King V. A lot of short guitarists play offset V's (Jackson Randy Rhoads or the ESP copy) and look good without bumping at anything - Alexi Laiho and Kai Hansen come to mind. :rolleyes:

As to me, I'm six feet and am quite athletic. Regular Strats look good on me, but not the Superstrats. The B.C. Rich Beast I am ripping on now is just the right size... While the Jackson RR was freakishly small - need to try a King V instead. :facepalm:

Any other solid body guitars that are big and heavy? I quite ok with sacrificing playability for the sound and looks. Cool thread, BTW! :thu:

• Members

This thread =
:facepalm:

Does my bum look big in this guitar?

Oh PLEEEEEASE:mad:

You read my mind. I'm 6'-0 and that's one question thats never crossed my mind. I guess I should sell my baby Taylor now for fear of becoming a laughing stock.

• Members

avoid in the sense that -- hey, you're a tall person, that guitar looks tiny on you and you look silly. a good example is {censored}in' 6'5 steven seagull
making his strat look like a little toy

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

How about this toy strat?

And the guy's name is Steven Seagal, he has no wings like in 'seagull'

• Members

A tele looks fairly ridiculous on me. I am 6'4".

It is tough to find a proportionate guitar.

The other problem is that off the shelf straps can be too short. the OEM fender strap that came with my strat in 1988 is all the way adjusted out and the guitar is about 2 inches too high for my tastes. And I don't wear them low. Just about waist level.

I read a story that said that the blond alkie from Ratt, I think, had a custom flying V made that was 9/8 sized. Maybe it wasn't Ratt. I know it was some 80s hair band.

• Members

Have you considered some Jacksons?
They look pretty small to me, except a a King V. A lot of short guitarists play offset V's (Jackson Randy Rhoads or the ESP copy) and look good without bumping at anything - Alexi Laiho and Kai Hansen come to mind.
:rolleyes:

Lol, no I love my Gibsons and dont care how they look on me haha :thu:

According to this website -http://www.astrotheme.com/heights/5%277 - im the same height as Kirk Hammett and an explorer doesnt look freakish on him

02feb2509_pic18.jpg

Also says that Im the same height as Randy Rhoads,

8aak48m.jpg

Kurt Cobain,

_42247896_cobain_guitar_203long.jpg

Jack Black,

jack-black-school-of-rock.jpg

Bo Diddley,

r256818_1063103.jpg

Matt Bellamy

matthew_bellamy.jpg

and Jenny McCarthy

f-jenny-mccarthy-4062-326x400.jpg

:thu:

• Members

Myself being 6'7'' and 275+. My SG, LP and Strat fit me quite well for myself. They all defiantly looking on the small size against my body and height. They are all pretty high up on my body though. I don't mind it being that way. But I would prefer to find a longer strap.

As for what guitar a big and tall guy should look for. 335 body style would be my first guess. Anything with a bigger body scale, like a V, Explorer, ML, Splittail. My ML fit me very well. I liked the long body style. The extra weight added some more comfort in my mind. Doesn't feel like you are playing a small toy guitar.

:thu:

• Members

Both Randy and Kirk look better with a V, though... But if you are small and play a big guitar it actually looks cool. Unlike the opposite. I suppose I should never get a LP, as they look like toys. :facepalm:

Let's see... I'm around six feet - so that means I'm about the same height as Dave Mustaine, David Gilmour, Dave Grohl, that guy that had the best place around, Elvis Presley and Ana Ivanovic. :rolleyes:

Yeah - so either a B.C. Rich and red hair:

Megadeth+Dave+Mustaine.jpg

a King V along with Marshall stacks:

gearphoto-dave2.jpg

a Strat, a huge light show, a bunch of crazy bandmates:

JSP0027-19-FP.jpg

an average-height look between Krist and Kurt:

DaveGrohl.jpg

an SG, moustache and getting burned the place to the ground:

Frank-Zappa-pictures-1973-KK-3093-021-l.

a hollowbody and army tags:

Elvis-Presley-sb02.jpg

...or a tennis racquet with a cameltoe:

anaivanoviccameltoe010409a.jpg

n7096203067156051106.jpg

I suppose there's no army or courts for me, no stupid with a flare gun, and no drum kits: so that leaves Biches, Strats and Vs to pick from.

No tits for me, BTW. ROFL... Also, do they ban here for females in tight pants? They did at some gaming forum. And no, my name is not Dave.

Archived