Thinking of giving up electric guitar...

2pacHendrix

• Members

And just start playing my acoustic...

I mean, I getting pretty bored with the bluesy, clean style of the guitar. I'm wanting to buy a fuzz to see if that will save my humanity in the electric guitar, effects are always fun! I also love listening to bands who drown their guitar's sound with effects (Film School, Radiohead, SSPU), but I don't have enough money to buy any. I rarely turn on my amp, a blues jr, and when I do I get bored. It's wierd, I like playing my acoustic way more than my electrics because the electric guitar is boring. Isn't supposed to be the other way around?

I'm thinking of selling everything (My pedal, amp and guitars) and just keeping my acoustic. Maybe, I'll keep one electric and in a few years I'll buy an amp and some pedals and see if I enjoy it more. I don't know. What do you guys do to keep yourselves interested in the guitar. I could learn a fancy john mayor song :idea:, or just another Iron and Wine song. :idk:

• Members

This line of "reasoning" never made sense to me. Unless someone is so possessed by the subtle nuances and intracacies of acoustic playing that they realize the electric is never picked up anymore, it seems the "boredom" of one will traverse into boredom for the other, and you might as well give up playing alltogether, or keep both so that when the fickleness subsides you didn't take a bath on your gear and have to rebuy at a loss.

• Members

Get a band.

Take some lessons with a good teacher.

You sound like you need something to challenge yourself. A band or getting guidance from a good teacher can do that. At various points, I always feel like my playing gets "stale". But I never want to quit - you just have to learn new things.

Also, I actually find learning other artists song to be pretty boring/uninspiring. If people ask me to play a song, honestly, I don't know very many all the way through other than a couple of jazz arrangements.

To me, the guitar is best as an outlet to explore creatively. Improvise and create, don't repeat.

• Members

What keeps me interested in playing guitar is writing music and playing with other people. I'm in a band and we've recruited more members to enhance the experience. Also, I jam with people whenever I can. As an example, yesterday, I got together with the bass player in our band and the guitarist from a different band. The 3 of us took turns playing drums, bass and guitar. Then, when the bass player had to go to work, I spent the rest of the evening trading riffs and jamming with the other guitarist.

There's nothing wrong with getting back to basics with an acoustic guitar. That's the idea behind Zeppelin III and MTV unplugged.

I was mostly an acoustic guitar player for the first decade I played. These days, I almost feel a little bit guilty that my acoustic guitars just sit there in the cases most of the time. With an acoustic you can't hide behind gain, delay, wah or anything else....It's pure music and all the mistakes are obvious.

• Members

Maybe spend a little quality time with that naked strat unplugged, without a pick. I find when I'm getting bored with my electrics it helps me to shelf my gear for a bit and to play them like I would play an acoustic. Might be a bit premature to dump everything IMHO.

Good luck with that stuff whatever you decide.

• Members

I went through a period of 6-8 months without touching my tele or turning on a tube amp. Now I play my electric every day and I fear my acoustics are languishing. :idk: These things just happen, and you should assume that your love for electric will come back. Selling is not a good idea unless you have excess gear that you don't really want to keep.

• Members

You can't quit now... you have your best avatar ever!

:lol:

When I get in a funk - which has kinda been the last 10 years or so - I like to play along with vocal lines. Slower stuff, concentrate on bends and vibrato. That's my favorite stuff to do anyway and playing along with vocal lines helps you concentrate a bit more on the subtleties anyway as vocalists tend to never sing too fast.

• Members

A cheap zoom multi effect pedal might peak your interest seeing how $$$ are an issue.

My niece was bored with her guitar into amp sound as well and I found a used Zoom pedal for $30 and now she spends more time than ever learning and playing.

Archived