Thinking of giving up electric guitar...

2pacHendrix

• Members

A cheap zoom multi effect pedal might peak your interest seeing how $$$ are an issue.

My niece was bored with her guitar into amp sound as well and I found a used Zoom pedal for $30 and now she spends more time than ever learning and playing.

I sold all my electric gear and bought an expensive acoustic once, that was many years ago, now I have 2 electrics and no acoustic at all. I love acoustics but I can do more on an electric because of the lighter string tensions, bending and more complex chord shapes for example. Maybe you should ditch the Blues Jr. and get something that has more tonal options

• Members

Couldn't you just put the stuff away for a while and then if you feel the urge.. play it? it's pretty likely you"ll take a loss when you sell it and when you decide you"d like those things back chances are youre going to pay more.

unless you need the money... why not just hang on to it?

• Members

And just start playing my acoustic...

I mean, I getting pretty bored with the bluesy, clean style of the guitar. I'm wanting to buy a fuzz to see if that will save my humanity in the electric guitar, effects are always fun! I also love listening to bands who drown their guitar's sound with effects (Film School, Radiohead, SSPU), but I don't have enough money to buy any. I rarely turn on my amp, a blues jr, and when I do I get bored. It's wierd, I like playing my acoustic way more than my electrics because the electric guitar is boring. Isn't supposed to be the other way around?

I'm thinking of selling everything (My pedal, amp and guitars) and just keeping my acoustic. Maybe, I'll keep one electric and in a few years I'll buy an amp and some pedals and see if I enjoy it more. I don't know. What do you guys do to keep yourselves interested in the guitar. I could learn a fancy john mayor song
:idea:
, or just another Iron and Wine song.
:idk:

What kind of amp do you currently have? I'm in kansas... haha, I say do what you like. I definitely wouldn't rush into selling anything for a bit though, because as soon as you do you'll start to miss it (possibly). Either way, I'd say feel free to take a break from the electric, and chill out and play your acoustic, and when the urge hits, you'll bust out the electric again, either that or you'll figure out you really don't have the desire to play it, and then you'll move on.

• Members

I mean, I getting pretty bored with the bluesy, clean style of the guitar. I'm wanting to buy a fuzz to see if that will save my humanity in the electric guitar, effects are always fun! I also love listening to bands who drown their guitar's sound with effects (Film School, Radiohead, SSPU), but I don't have enough money to buy any. I rarely turn on my amp, a blues jr, and when I do I get bored. It's wierd, I like playing my acoustic way more than my electrics because the electric guitar is boring. Isn't supposed to be the other way around?

I'm thinking of selling everything (My pedal, amp and guitars) and just keeping my acoustic. Maybe, I'll keep one electric and in a few years I'll buy an amp and some pedals and see if I enjoy it more. I don't know. What do you guys do to keep yourselves interested in the guitar. I could learn a fancy john mayor song

Get rid of your blues jnr...when I tested one of those things I could NOT get any dirt from it. I had a 70's Les Paul plugged into one with the gain cranked and it was still clean....I thought I was doing something wrong so at one point I cranked EVERYTHING to ten....volume gain.etc....guitar too...just barely broke up. I don't doubt you're bored with that amp. At the very least get yourself a tube screamer or something.

I can't believe you don't have enough money to buy at least one of those digitech multi pedals. RP or something?? The basic one's are less than a pair of decent shoes, and look like they would give you a ton of sounds.

• Members

i don't even play the two the same way. it's like saying i'm gonna stop playing the piano because i prefer drinking orange juice.

me too. totally different approach.

i (totally no reason to, just assuming) imagine him strumming acoustic songs on a plugged in electric wondering what hes doing wrong. "you know what? tears in heaven is meant to be played on acoustic. im no longer interested in electric guitars".:)

• Members

Get rid of your blues jnr...when I tested one of those things I could NOT get any dirt from it. I had a 70's Les Paul plugged into one with the gain cranked and it was still clean....I thought I was doing something wrong so at one point I cranked EVERYTHING to ten....volume gain.etc....guitar too...just barely broke up. I don't doubt you're bored with that amp. At the very least get yourself a tube screamer or something.

I would second this. Sell it and get an amp with more options and some pedals.

• Members

Funny, I'm the exact opposite. I get bored very easily with my acoustic...just too one-dimensional...

Don't sell it ALL...keep at least an electric and a a practice amp around...but I understand selling off gear. I have parted with quite a bit of it lately myself. Just trying to simplify a bit...

• Members

I mean, I getting pretty bored with the bluesy, clean style of the guitar. I'm wanting to buy a fuzz to see if that will save my humanity........

Don't do it! Acoustic is the Yin and electric is the Yang, Completeness will not be found with one alone.

Seriously, I have made the same erroneous decision more than once in this lifetime, and rued the day. Sold off great gear I will never be able to afford to replace and wasn't any happier in the end.

Until very recently I preferred the sound of clean electric, through my handwired AC15.........some of the guys I play with gently mocked my preference, extolling the virtues of their pedal boards or Tonelabs.........I resisted, until I found the Lovecraft Chupacabra ( a gift from a bandmate, actually), and a compressor for slide stuff. Now I am a devotee of the slightly dirty.............bottom line is, experiment, find some new people to play with, listen to a Drive By Truckers song or two, maybe that will snap you out of it.

• Members

I can't believe you don't have enough money to buy at least one of those digitech multi pedals. RP or something?? The basic one's are less than a pair of decent shoes, and look like they would give you a ton of sounds.

He can have my RP 90 for the cost of shipping.......

• Members

Absence makes the heart grow fonder. Keep your electrics, but swear off them for a while. You'll get the urge to play them again. Fight the urge for a while and keep playing acoustically. When you get back to playing your electrics, you'll be glad you kept them.

• Members

I mean, I getting pretty bored with the bluesy, clean style of the guitar.

I would too. Buy the fuzz :thu: If most pedals are too expensive, listen to the folks that told you to look at the Danelectro line. I think the coolcat fuzz is solid.

If you can't get out of the rut of playing bluesy clean, then start listening to different music. Or even better, totally STOP listening to any music for a while :p

• Members

I could sell my blues jr and my zvex sho, then use the money to get another amp and another pedal.

Suggestions? I'm thinking of a vox, but I would have to trade my blues jr for an ac15. As for pedals, I'm currently trying to convince this guy on cl to trade me his fuzz pedal form my 60's hollowbody.

muff-ram2.jpeg

It will be mine :evil:

• Members

He can have my RP 90 for the cost of shipping.......

Wow...that's a very nice offer dude. Thanks for showing me how nice people are capable of being! :thu:

There you go OP...take him up on it...you've got nothing to loose.

As for amps...I demoed a AC15 at the same time as the Blues Jnr..and yeah i'd say it's a much nicer amp. It had a clean that was different but easily as nice as the Blues Jnr and distortion sounded very nice. Still though I don't think it's as nice as my crate V1512 in either area. Crate would be another option. V series. Do yourself a favor..sell the blues jnr and buy this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/CRATE-V1512-1x12-TONE-TUBBY-guitar-amp-NEW-B-stock-USA_W0QQitemZ200381539602QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2ea7aba512

You won't regret it. USA made.

Archived