Anybody else pick up the $99 Peavey Valveking Royal 8 besides me?

GAS Man

• Members

I'm thinking I will eventually put an upgrade speaker in it which may reduce some of the boxy sound. I'm tempted to put a Weber Alnico in it.

But I really started enjoying the amp a bit more once I hooked a decent reverb pedal up to the front end. Obviously does a lot to make it sound more spatial.

Well now, isn't that spatial...

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Gassy, be a man, buy a vintage class A and enjoy. There are so many to choose from. Most Valco amps are badass (Valco, National, Penncrest, Supro, Airline). A few Danelectro (also Airline, Silvertone) amps are killer too. Then you've got Magnatone (Titan, PANaramic), Harmony, Float Tone, Oahu... so many small amps..

Some 60's Univox (Apto, Hilgen, Lafayette) amps are sweet as well. The older the better. U-42, U-45B, U-202R, U-155R...

• Members

Gassy, be a man, buy a vintage class A and enjoy. There are so many to choose from. Most Valco amps are badass (Valco, National, Penncrest, Supro, Airline). A few Danelectro (also Airline, Silvertone) amps are killer too. Then you've got Magnatone (Titan, PANaramic), Harmony, Float Tone, Oahu... so many small amps..

Some 60's Univox (Apto, Hilgen, Lafayette) amps are sweet as well. The older the better. U-42, U-45B, U-202R, U-155R...

Yeah, I hear you. This one definitely was more of an impulse buy, but for $99.99 I felt like I didn't have to be married to it. I've gotten some good moments out of it recently enjoying its rude noise. It really helps to add a reverb pedal to it.

Although I'm familiar with names you've listed, I can't say as I've heard any of their amp products first hand.

I think my next Class A purchases will be the Vox ACTV4 and the Marshall Class 5.

I know that my stepson would love the Peavey as a birthday present if I tire of it. He'd be able to get some righteous Hendrix tones out of it. He has that habit of doing that.

But I'll look into those products. I know there's good stuff off the beaten trail.

• Members

I think my Royal 8 is DOA.

Are both of the tubes suppose to light up. The larger one does but the smaller one, I don't think so.

I've let it warm up for 30 mins now and no sound will come out.

Geez, I'd hate to send it back and wait 2 or 3 weeks for another.

• Members

I think my Royal 8 is DOA.

Are both of the tubes suppose to light up. The larger one does but the smaller one, I don't think so.

I've let it warm up for 30 mins now and no sound will come out.

Geez, I'd hate to send it back and wait 2 or 3 weeks for another.

Yes they both are supposed to light up, can you not swap out the one that doesnt light up?

• Members

Tried pulling them both (gently) out & re-seating them?

Just tried that. Still no sound.

Silly question. Do you guys think music123.com would send me a replacement tube?

From what I've seen most online stores will just take the hit on a return to keep the "rip off" factor down.

• Members

Just tried that. Still no sound.

Silly question. Do you guys think music123.com would send me a replacement tube?

From what I've seen most online stores will just take the hit on a return to keep the "rip off" factor down.

Give 'em a shout.

• Members

Wow, sorry to hear about your grief. It's like bummer karma when our toy purchases, that we do to bring a bit of joy to mundane life, end up giving us a stressing little chore to hurdle.

But I'd still just call them up, ask for a prepaid return shipping authorization, and go through the exchange process.

I was going to suggest giving the tubes a wiggle, but I see you've already done that.

Bummer dude. Hope you get is resolved quickly.

• Members

I hear you. I think if I were going for that much amp and footprint, I go somewhere else than the Valvekings. But for a little 5W 8-incher, it provides some interesting alternative tones to my gear. But indeed, part of what made me pull the trigger on this amp was the curiosity of having a Class A amp, even if it is far from boutique.

P.S. I have the SCXD. I replaced the speaker to a Ragin Cajun and it's growing on me these days, but it's certainly a different animal than this Peavey. I think if I were to buy an upgrade again for the SCXD, I might go with the Copperhead instead. I recently put one in a Fender G-Dec 30 and the improvement there was quite a bit more dramatic than putting the RC in the SCXD. Some day I'll have to pull the Copperhead and give it a try in the SCXD to test my theory. But yeah, $199 would be a great price on one of those. I bought mine through one of those MS dollar back deals.

PLEASE make someday TODAY and pm me with the results. I have been going to replace the speaker in mine, but the copperhead sounds like more of what I'm going for... but so many recomend the Ragin Cajin. Anyway, back on topic.

OR can you just change the plug in in the back? You can go out to another cabinet with the SCXD I know, not familiar with the other amp.

• Members

I have now swapped out the 2 valves in this little peavey for a matched set of JJ's the ones i took out were a JJ 12ax7 (doh) and a Sovtek EL84 as far as I know came stock (I bought the amp used)

So the EL84 made a big difference, richer over all and smoothed out the break up when turning up the gain.

So new speaker and matched set off JJ's and this amp is very sweet, its never gonna do high gain well but hendrix (little wing), Led Zep and ac/dc without a pedal is achieveable.

I have tried a Marshall Guvnor pedal in front and sounds nice for a small 5watt tube amp.

Very happy overall with the mods.

• Members

PLEASE make someday TODAY and pm me with the results. I have been going to replace the speaker in mine, but the copperhead sounds like more of what I'm going for... but so many recomend the Ragin Cajin. Anyway, back on topic.

OR can you just change the plug in in the back? You can go out to another cabinet with the SCXD I know, not familiar with the other amp.

Well, I'd like to, but my Fender G-Dec 30 with the Copperhead is on loan out to my stepson, 250 miles away from where I live.

But looking at the tone chart from Emminence, I can see why most folks recommend the Ragin Cajun over the Copperhead.

http://eminence.com/pdf/tone_guide.pdf

http://eminence.com/soundclips.asp

It was just that on my two speaker swaps, the copperhead was the more dramatic improvement on the two amps. But maybe that was because the G-Dec was the most handicapped by its stock speaker. :idk:

Sorry I was slow to respond, I just now spotted the question.

• Members

Well, I'd like to, but my Fender G-Dec 30 with the Copperhead is on loan out to my stepson, 250 miles away from where I live.

But looking at the tone chart from Emminence, I can see why most folks recommend the Ragin Cajun over the Copperhead.

http://eminence.com/pdf/tone_guide.pdf

http://eminence.com/soundclips.asp

It was just that on my two speaker swaps, the copperhead was the more dramatic improvement on the two amps. But maybe that was because the G-Dec was the most handicapped by its stock speaker.
:idk:

Sorry I was slow to respond, I just now spotted the question.

Appreciate it, and the PM - thanks.

• Members

So the EL84 made a big difference, richer over all and smoothed out the break up when turning up the gain.

The EL84 smoothed out the preamp breakup? My main problem with this amp so far is, especially when I hit the frontend way too hard (Hellabucker :thu:) it gets very thin and buzzy sounding. And overall, it's just not a very smooth breakup. I have a Weber speaker for it, but I was wondering if maybe I should do new tubes. I would've thought the power tube would only smooth out high Master settings though, whereas my problem is more with high Gain settings.

Maybe I'll find myself a new EL84 after all?

• Members

The EL84 smoothed out the
preamp
breakup? My main problem with this amp so far is, especially when I hit the frontend way too hard (Hellabucker
:thu:
) it gets very thin and buzzy sounding. And overall, it's just not a very smooth breakup. I have a Weber speaker for it, but I was wondering if maybe I should do new tubes. I would've thought the power tube would only smooth out high Master settings though, whereas my problem is more with high Gain settings.

To be honest I had the master all the way up and the gain on around just before half way plugged into the 2nd input. My guitar volume and tone rolled back a touch too. I know little about valves, I just replaced them with a matched set and as the 12ax7 was the same make thought that would make little difference, maybe it does, both together, I don't know but to my ears it has a smoother break up when turning up the gain, I'm using a single coil equipped guitar by the way, I can try my axis tomorrow and crank it see how it sounds.

• Members

The EL84 smoothed out the
preamp
breakup? My main problem with this amp so far is, especially when I hit the frontend way too hard (Hellabucker
:thu:
) it gets very thin and buzzy sounding. And overall, it's just not a very smooth breakup. I have a Weber speaker for it, but I was wondering if maybe I should do new tubes. I would've thought the power tube would only smooth out high Master settings though, whereas my problem is more with high Gain settings.

It's worth a go - power valves are affected by the signal that's hitting them, and an EL84 tends to get pushed into overdrive more easily than a typical big bottle valve. I've found power valves make a very large difference in SE class A amps, and can go from thin and cutting (Ei) to lush and 3 dimensional (Mullard).

• Members

I picked up one of these with a WWBW price match for $89.99. They beat competitors by 10%. I played it for the first time at Guitar Club on Friday night. I have some tubes kicking around and may switch them around to see what sounds good.

Will changing the speaker to something alnico smooth out the distortion, or is that tube related? Thanks.

Archived