Anybody else pick up the $99 Peavey Valveking Royal 8 besides me?

GAS Man

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well I finally got to hear my Royal 8 today. I took the pre-amp tube out of my Champion 600 and put it in the Peavey.

It's definitely a beast to tame, for a noob anyway. But thanks to GAS man I had some success. When I get new tubes for it I will hook it up to my Peavey 75 speaker and see how that works out.

Any tube recommendations for the little 8.

• Members

Good to hear. Make sure you also put some reverb in front as well. That really helped my attitude with that amp. My Vox AD4TV arrived last night so I got to A/B them a bit. It was interesting because the Vox was a bit less than I expected. But OTH, it still needs to break in. It also seemed to be a much better match with single coils.

They are different animals, but not as far apart as one might guess. But I won't say much more until I have more time with it. But I will say that the Vox sure sounded better once I got it out of my larger living room and into my much smaller guest room/office/music room :lol: But I ended the evening playing out of the Peavey.

I've got a Jensen C8R arriving any day now for the Royal 8. http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jensen-C8R-25W-8-Replacement-Speaker?sku=665001

So I'm looking forward to seeing what that does for the Peavey. Looks like I'll probably also be shopping for an upgrade speaker on the Vox too, but better sense is telling me to wait until after the break in period is over. Someone here mentioned the Emminence Legend for that guy, so I might consider that. If I wnat to go for broke I could consider a Celestion Alnico Gold. I read a review where a user was happy with that mod (although stated it still sounded a bit boxy) but they cost as much as the amp did. :confused:

• Members

Son of a BITCH. The amp is grounding itself THROUGH ME. If I touch anything metal, I start getting a pretty substantial current flow through me. How serious -- and dangerous -- is this? It's really not very fun being electrocuted. Time to call in a return?

• Members

Son of a BITCH. The amp is grounding itself THROUGH ME. If I touch anything metal, I start getting a pretty substantial current flow through me. How serious -- and dangerous -- is this? It's really not very fun being electrocuted. Time to call in a return?

Definitely. I'm not experiencing any grounding issues from mine.

You should be able to get them to pay for return shipping and send you a new one fee o' charge.

Get on 'er dude.

It's a hassle, but that's the bitch of these online blowout deals.

So sorry -

• Members

Just put a new Tung-Sol 12AX7 in mine. Got it working without having to rob tubes from my little Fender amp.

One thing I learned today was that I can't get a decent tone out of my Epiphone with a Dimarzio SD in it. But when I hooked up my Fender Friday Jaguar Special to this thing is was a big big difference. Much sweeter tone. The high gain is still {censored} tho.

Next up, hook it up to my VYPYR 75 12" speaker. Depending on my laziness, this could take a while. LOL.

• Members

Last night my Jensen C8R arrived from AMS
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-JEN-C8R8

I'd gotten it as a price match when MF had their OCT20% off deal going, so for $29.56 it was a reasonable upgrade investment for this amp. I'd say I'd recommend this upgrade, but OTH, I'm not as well versed with the different makes and models of speakers as a lot of others are here.

But what I believe I noticed was more volume and it really took away some of the boxy sound. Before I really had to have a reverb pedal in front of that amp to enjoy it. At one point last night after putting in the Jensen, I thought I had the reverb pedal turned on but at a lower level, and then I realized it was completely off. I wouldn't have made that mistake with the stock speaker.

But they did feel roughly the same in weight.

The Jensen has a ribbed cone and the stock one is smooth. So I believe that contributed to a smoother tone with the Jensen and more clean headroom.

It's fun to A/B this amp against my new Vox AD4TV. The Vox is smoother, but the Peavey is also fun for its rattier OD tone.

But I still want to try a new tube or two to abate some of the glassy brittle tone on the extremes of its OD tones.

• Members

^^ I'm not best qualified to answer that one, but I'd speculate "no". Seems like from my reads that alnico mag speakers are good for articulating the highs (which are a bit on the brittle side in the OD mode with this amp). For this amp I think a ceramic magnet is probably better for a later breakup and a more compressed tone. Plus I honestly didn't think this amp merited the investment of the more expensive alnico magnet speakers. I think if one wanted to toss more bucks into this amp they might consider a hemp cone as a nice compliment to darken up the tone a bit.

But I thought the little Jensen I tossed in there was a nice little upgrade. I was surprised to just notice yesterday that there is no "speaker out" on this guy. Guess you'd just have to wire one up.

• Members

Last night my Jensen C8R arrived from AMS

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-JEN-C8R8

I'd gotten it as a price match when MF had their OCT20% off deal going, so for $29.56 it was a reasonable upgrade investment for this amp. I'd say I'd recommend this upgrade, but OTH, I'm not as well versed with the different makes and models of speakers as a lot of others are here.

But what I believe I noticed was more volume and it really took away some of the boxy sound. Before I really had to have a reverb pedal in front of that amp to enjoy it. At one point last night after putting in the Jensen, I thought I had the reverb pedal turned on but at a lower level, and then I realized it was completely off. I wouldn't have made that mistake with the stock speaker.

But they did feel roughly the same in weight.

The Jensen has a ribbed cone and the stock one is smooth. So I believe that contributed to a smoother tone with the Jensen and more clean headroom.

Man, I'm just bumpin my own thread cuz I'm just surprised how much I'm liking this amp now with such a simple inexpensive upgrade. It really sounds pretty sweet now (at medium & lower levels)

But right now I'm also playing it with a Boss FRV-1 and an EH Electric Mistress in the chorus mode in front of it. :D

I'm looking forward to upgrading the tubes as well for more clean headroom, but right now I'm getting some pretty sweet clean tones off that new speaker with this amp.

I think these amps are still good fun for $99 :thu: And $85 today at M123.

• Members

You guys are freaking crazy.

You buy a $100 practice amp that's made for your bedroom and spend extra money trying to make it into something else.

Just buy a better amp in the first place. Or just use the damn thing as-is.

It's like buying a cheap little car and trying to make it into a race car.

• Members

People do this all the time, particularly with drag strip and drift cars.

And yeah, no good on the ten inch speaker. The cabinet is rather wide, but not enough to squeeze two 8 inchers in. It's just big enough to be obnoxious without actually leaving enough space to do anything interesting.

• Members

You buy a $100 practice amp that's made for your bedroom and spend extra money trying to make it into something else.

I agree with this. Seems people are ending up spending 200+ to make the amp usable. Why not just get a SCXD which can be found used for under 200 or wait for a sale and get one new for between 200 and 250?

• Members

Okay, look, assuming the 20% MF discount that a lot of us got:

Amp: $80

Speaker: ~$30

Tubes: ~$20

That's hardly a huge total expense.

I suppose, but I'd rather spend 50 more and get a much better and much more usable amp than save the 50 bucks and get an amp that's just meh....

I got my VT30 for 170.00 brand new. That's only 40 bucks more and it's 10 times the amp.

• Members

I suppose, but I'd rather spend 50 more and get a much better and much more usable amp than save the 50 bucks and get an amp that's just meh....

I got my VT30 for 170.00 brand new. That's only 40 bucks more and it's 10 times the amp.

I got mine for 50 pounds used, 18 pounds for new valves and 5 pound for celestion super 8 speaker used total 73 pounds. Its worth the tinkering and I have enjoyed doing it. I have a much better amp well 2. Marshall jvm410h and vox ad50vt.

why don't you get it, same with people buying cheap guitars and upgrading the hardware etc.. Hobby!!

:poke:

vt30 is not 10 times the amp by the way I have a AD50VT great amp but this little peavey is a true class A 5 watt tube amp you can hear the difference.

• Members

its to loud for bedroom use :-)

Archived