Anybody else pick up the $99 Peavey Valveking Royal 8 besides me?

GAS Man

• Members

You guys are freaking crazy.

You buy a $100 practice amp that's made for your bedroom and spend extra money trying to make it into something else.

Just buy a better amp in the first place. Or just use the damn thing as-is.

It's like buying a cheap little car and trying to make it into a race car.

Nah, it's quite worth it.

First of all, we're not buying a $100 amp, we're buying a $200 amp for only $100 (or less on blowout and with additional discounts) and putting in relatively cheap mods and still coming out around $50 less than the amp's intended street price.

It's definitely partly for the hobby aspect. This is just one of about 20 amps for me and I did indeed buy this amp with the idea of tinkering. Although I have done a few speaker swaps before, this is the first one for me that I also planned on cutting my teeth with some tube swapping to learn a thing or two there as well.

Plus these little 5W Class A tube amps do have a unique voice with a lot more touch and guitar volume dynamics than I've been accustomed to. I've been doing a fair amount of A/B'ing of this little Royal 8 next to the Vox AC4TV and the R8 does hold its own in its own respect. It tends to have more presence but not as much warmth. And the "vibe" quotient really went up with that Jensen. That AC4TV is also going to be getting a new speaker once I decide which one, cuz the upgrade to the Peavey has narrowed the gap more than it should have.

dis chit be fun. :thu:

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived