Anybody else pick up the $99 Peavey Valveking Royal 8 besides me?

GAS Man

• Members

Supposedly the demagnetization effect that AlNiCo is vulnerable to causes it to smooth out distortion, because the speaker's response isn't quite as prompt. At least, that's what I've been led to believe. I have a Weber AlNiCo that is waiting to be installed, but I want to break in the stock speaker and record it first.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Supposedly the demagnetization effect that AlNiCo is vulnerable to causes it to smooth out distortion, because the speaker's response isn't quite as prompt. At least, that's what I've been led to believe. I have a Weber AlNiCo that is waiting to be installed, but I want to break in the stock speaker and record it first.

I was also thinking I would let the new speaker break in first and then see how I like it.

• Members

mine crapped out on me after a month of sparse use.
After a few minutes turning the master above halfway cut out the sound almost completely. Turning it back down to halfway got it working normally.
Sending it back today.

Too bad, i liked it. If MF puts out another 20% off code I'll probably pick up a replacement.

• Members

Hm. I just plugged into my Tonelab+Roland for the first time since getting the Valveking...I mean, I know the Valveking is a cheap little practice amp, but jesus the Tonelab eclipses it badly. I dunno if I want to keep this thing now...

• Members

Hm. I just plugged into my Tonelab+Roland for the first time since getting the Valveking...I mean, I know the Valveking is a cheap little practice amp, but jesus the Tonelab eclipses it badly. I dunno if I want to keep this thing now...

I really don't know what people expect to get from these amps I have a Marshall JVM410h, vox AD50VT, I have podxt, but I just wanted a little tube amp to lug from room to room its a 5 watt tube amp no bells or whistles with minimal eq, to get anything out of it you have to use a combo of your guitar, fingers and ears, it's not instantly gratifying.

• Members

I have now swapped out the 2 valves in this little peavey for a matched set of JJ's the ones i took out were a JJ 12ax7 (doh) and a Sovtek EL84 as far as I know came stock (I bought the amp used)

So the EL84 made a big difference, richer over all and smoothed out the break up when turning up the gain.

So new speaker and matched set off JJ's and this amp is very sweet, its never gonna do high gain well but hendrix (little wing), Led Zep and ac/dc without a pedal is achieveable.

I have tried a Marshall Guvnor pedal in front and sounds nice for a small 5watt tube amp.

Very happy overall with the mods.

I'm a little confused as to what you put in.

The stock ingredients per the Peavey website are: "This true Class A amp uses EL84/6BQ5 output tube and one 12AX7/ECCC83 preamp tube"

So I understand that you went for the "JJ" brand, but being a noob to tube mods, are you saying you got a matched set of one JJ EL84 and one JJ 12AX7/ECCC83?

Like I said, being a noob, I thought "matched set" meant tow of the same type of tube, so I wasn't sure if I was understanding your mod for sure. And if you do get a matched preamp and power tube, where do you find such a beast?

Thanks

P.S. Am I also hearing here that just the one upgrade to the JJ EL84 will accomplish most of the upgrade??

Thanks

• Members

I'm a little confused as to what you put in.

The stock ingredients per the Peavey website are:
"This true Class A amp uses EL84/6BQ5 output tube and one 12AX7/ECCC83 preamp tube"

So I understand that you went for the "JJ" brand, but being a noob to tube mods, are you saying you got a matched set of
one
JJ EL84 and
one
JJ 12AX7/ECCC83?

Like I said, being a noob, I thought "matched set" meant tow of the same type of tube, so I wasn't sure if I was understanding your mod for sure. And if you do get a matched preamp and power tube, where do you find such a beast?

Thanks

P.S. Am I also hearing here that just the one upgrade to the JJ EL84 will accomplish most of the upgrade??

Thanks

I'm a noob also with valve amps :-) I was told to replace the valves with jj's as the stock valves are bound to be pants. I got a set of JJ valves one 12AX7 and on EL84 sold as a matched set. (maybe because they are same make I don't know)

I had not checked what make the stock valves were and on taking them out discovered the 12AX7 was indeed a JJ and the EL84 was a Sovtek.

So I replaced both with the new set.

So thats my story and I'm sticking to it your honour :-)

• Members

Thanks, I'm with you now. So I guess I should look at pulling mine first. I believe I've seen some other brands mentioned in some of the other units, so I'd better see what's in there before I start ordering. Like in that link I posted above, "Twang" mentions finding a EH preamp tube and a Sovtek power tube.

But it sounds like just one JJ EL84 will help a bit, and they're pretty cheap anyway. :thu:

• Members
Thanks, I'm with you now. So I guess I should look at pulling mine first. I believe I've seen some other brands mentioned in some of the other units, so I'd better see what's in there before I start ordering. Like in that link I posted above, "Twang" mentions finding a EH preamp tube and a Sovtek power tube.

But it sounds like just one JJ EL84 will help a bit, and they're pretty cheap anyway.
:thu:

good luck with it and the link was good to read, some nice clips although through a 4x12 :-)

• Members

Got mine today...has a pretty loud hum on the High Gain input. I'll take a closer look tomorrow and see if anything obvious is going on. Hopefully I can get his resolved without a return. It is made in China. Wouldn't be the first time that something needed attention out of the gate.

On the low gain side, it sounds great. The old Peavey Predator has never sounded better than through this amp.

Archived