crashclc

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm pretty "meh" about Vs which is why I've only bought 5 of them. :freak:

No, serious -

Otherwise I'd have more.

Okay, I sent back this one, it just wasn't my style of tone.

DSC01814.jpg

But I probably should have flipped it on ebay instead, I got such a killer deal on it. But it was just too metal for me. Did not sound good at all clean, but would be fine with some fat distortion.

I also picked up a Silverburst for my kid for his grad school graduation present (ssshhhhhh - he doesn't know about it yet)

DSC02053.jpg

It sounds about the same as the faded, but interestingly enough, it's got a bit more of a slimmed down body. :thu:

And I've picked up these for me

DSC01909.jpg

And FedEx is supposed to be jamming with me with this one on Saturday

30U-15811_front.jpg

So I'll have 3, but that's it, I just don't like Vs that much to justify dozens of them, you know what I mean. ;)

But think about what kind of tone you want, if you're a metal guy, then that Gibby you depicted will be great. But if you're a bit more of a classic rock/bluesy player, then I recommend the Epis because of their warmer/phatter pickups and resonant limba body woods.

And yeah, they aren't the most manageable sitting down, but if you scoot forward, it will work. They are still much better than trying to play a Randy Rhoads sitting down.

The white does look cool. :thu:

• Members

My friend has a gibson v (white) and I've got to say, it's a rad guitar. I'd say go for it, I didn't care for playing it while sitting (I did enjoy getting to play it standing though), but he didn't have any problem sitting and playing, I imagine it all comes down to just spending the time to get used to it if you're going to sit, but let's face it, the v was made to stand up and rock.

• Members

I meant to talk about this before I got carried away with my "show and tell".

But you can't ignore the obvious with a V.

If you look really closely at them, you'll notice that they are missing a piece of tone wood just below the bridge. This is typically a resonant area of a guitar, so when that pie slice is gingerly removed from the body, Vs inherently lose a good chunk of resonance to their tone. You just gotta be aware of that going in and decide whether you want to compensate for that with bass heavy distortion or the wood and pickups.

But here's the cornerstone of my school of thought.

Long time ago I read about this axe.

guitar-destroyer.jpg

Well, the story goes that little Eddie took his daddy's jig saw to this guitar and to make it look like a metal monster. But Ed's comments were that it wrecked the guitar's tone which, theretofore, he had loved. So I'm just saying, Vs by breed have some tonal handicaps out of the gate. Heck, I was recently listening to some Albert King vids and even his tone was a bit sharp for a Gibson.

[YOUTUBE]BKY8KIt9kqc&feature[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

ive wanted a white gibson 67 v for as long as i can remember, its the one guitar i have liked since the beginning and still want. there was a new one at my gc last month for 709! but it didnt come with a case and i got my new lp studio for 660 with a hard case. even that was stretching farther than i should have gone. one day it will be mine!

• Members

I have a flying v derivative - the ESP Ninja.

Tonally, it's a {censored}ing monster. Higher fret access isn't amazing, but it's a VERY nice departure from the realm of superstrats. That guitar inspires more tasteful playing from me.

• Members

I'd say meh.

Generally, I don't like pointy guitars. But there's small part of me that wants to play Rock You Like a Hurricane on a Flying V.

On top of a volcano.

In a thunderstorm.

With giant eighties hair.

And spandex.

While pulling a hardcore guitar face.

:rawk:

• Members

Obsessed.

I have 3 V projects in the works right now, including one white gibson.

They aren't for everybody, but their setup provides at least as many advantages as disadvantages... you just have to be prepared to capatilize on the strengths and compensate for the weaknesses.

• Members

In a general sense it's totally meh for me. The one near exception was the V that I think Dam Erlwine built for Albert King with the 3-to-a-side open book Gibson headstock (as seen on a Les Paul). But then I saw this:

volcano_vintage_clear.jpg

This is a love, or was before they went to the block inlays...I preferred the dots. I'm not a fan of the 60s/70s style pickguard.

• Members

I've had 2 V's in my life. My first V, I cut the the "legs" off to make it look like a Steinberger. Before anyone gets irate, it was a cheap guitar that I nearly got for free and when I threw it away, there wasn't a single part worth keeping and that includes EVERY piece on the guitar - except the strap buttons.

My 2nd V I got for completely free (Jackson King V) but had to replace the pickups, Floyd Rose, all wiring, jack, pot, and get the frets dressed (and strip off 2 tubes of liquid nails from the back). That "free" guitar has cost me about $400. But it now sports an SD Custom Custom in the bridge, an SD SH-2N Jazz in the neck, a Ping Floyd Rose, and high quality electronics. This thing is one of the best sounding guitars I have but it's not my style, impossible to play sitting down (because Jackson puts the 1/4" jack in the dumbest place), and is simply uncomfortable to play.

IMHO, I've always thought of V guitars for Heavy Metal and Death Metal - not my style.

Mine is this in a midnight blue:

kingvstd.jpg

-Mc

• Members

While I appreciate the Gibson V, I much prefer Jackson's take on it. The RR is quite possibly the most beautiful guitar ever designed. That said, I hate playing them.

I hear what your saying. Over Gibson vs. Jackson I prefer the Jackson Rhoads, but if the opportunity ever came up to buy a Gibson V, I'd take it. I love V's. Agreed, they are not too fun to play sitting down, it's just something you have to get used too.

Gibson V's are like badass muscle cars, Jackson V's are like streamlined Lamborghinis.

• Members

I love V's! I own an Epiphone 1958 reissue in black with gold hardware and set neck. I upgraded the electronics and installed gold metal cover Gibson 498T and 496R pickups. The guitar is a beast and sounds wickedly bottom heavy through my Orange Rocker 30 and my '66 Gibson Explorer amp modded with Celestion G12K-100. :thu:

Archived