Epiphone SG-400 vs. Gibson SG Standard

stretch_333

• Members

One last thing before I drop the amp derail altogether (because I'm sure you're getting sick of it by now, my apologies!): I'm not trying to sell you an amp right now, nor dissuade you from picking up an SG. I mean, HC knows as well as anyone, I go through a ton of guitars myself. I'm just hoping to get you to open up to the possibility of checking out some amps. Far too many guitarists get it in their head that the guitar is is the most important thing for tone and don't even consider a new amp because theirs "gets the sound they need just fine," and it was a bit disheartening to see such an immediate dismissal of the proposal. Just keep it in mind, my friend! :thu:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If you want "AC/DC Sound", an SG is a good move, but it's only part of the equation. No guitar is going to make a Cube 60 spit out a very convincing Angus-like tone, no matter how closely you mimic his technique.

That's why I think you're better off grabbing an Epi SG and using the savings to move up a notch, amp-wise.

Also note: The difference between various dual-HB guitars can be rather subtle. Sometimes less than the difference between SG models. What pickups you use matter WAY more than the style of guitar. Drop a pair of Gibson 57s or Seymour Duncans into an Agile Les Paul copy, a PRS, a Schecter, a deluxe Tele, or even a Daisy Rock Debutante, and you're still going to get most of that same ballsy HB attack that you would get from an SG.

I've got a Hohner G2T headless guitar with the SD Jazz/JB combo that sounds VERY SG-like.

The difference between that guitar plugged into my Classic 30 or a JCM-800 is vastly bigger than the difference between my G2T or an SG plugged into the same JCM-800. Amps make a big difference in tone. Guitars can be mostly chosen based on feel.

• Members

lol @ everyone dog piling on his amp, then on other threads people are always raving about and recommending roland cubes to people asking what amp should they buy.

Look, personally I'm not a big fan of the roland cube amps but a lot of people seem to like them. Personally, I prefer the vox modeling amps like the VT series. As for the AC/DC sound, an epiphone should get you pretty close, which is pretty much the best you'll be able to do. I've almost given up trying to exactly replicate someone else's tone because on records, they're using who knows how many tracks and also a ton of EQs and other processors. Live, they're not only going through their amps but they're also going through massive PA systems that undoubtedly color the sound. Not to mention the other variables like the player's picking style, etc... (the whole "tone is in the fingers" thing).

But, you should definitely be able to get close to their base tone if you use a similar guitar and amp with similar settings. So, that said, an epi with decent pickups going through a cranked marshall or marshall-type amp should get you there. The rolands are a bit lackluster in emulating that. But, if you're happy with that amp and just want a guitar that will bring you pretty close guitar-wise, the epi will be fine although you'll probably want to upgrade at least the bridge pickup.

• Members

Is the Orange Tiny Terror enough amp to get the job done?

it's not about "enough amp", it's about the tone you get from the amp. My vox vt30 can do an ac/dc sound very well using a les paul through the metal bull amp model.

For low watt tube amps, the blackstar HT5 can do it too. I wish I could justify getting one but I wouldn't be able to really crank it in my apartment.

• Members

Don't fret, your Cube 60 will do the job.

I've been put off before by the Roland Cubes, but when you get them dialed in right they can be very musical.

I've often harbored a bit of a preference for the Vox modeling, but I've also recently gotten some great gain tones out of my 20X.

I think in general the Vox might do better at vintage (Fender/Vox) clean tones and Roland is a tough competitor with the higher gains. The Vox ends up sounding a bit more confined when pushed whereas the Rolands seem to belt it out a bit better.

Not saying I'm dead confident on this, but it's just where my thinking has been going after having bought a Roland JC120, Cube 30, MicroCube, Cube 20x, Vox AD50VT, AD60VTX, & DA5

:wave:

• Members

My thoughts-

Yeah, the wood will probably be better on average with the Gibsons, but it won't make a huge sonic difference.

I've bought 7 Gibson SGs and 3 Epiphone SGs

The pickups are okay but a bit muddy compared to Gibson. But definitely fine if you play with a lot of gain, overdrive or some distortion.

Upgrading pickups is not a bad idea with an Epi if you want more vintage sweet out of the tone.

But one disadvantage not easy to remove is that the Epi's tend to be a bit neck heavy whereas the Gibsons are better balanced. But suede straps usually seem like an adequate remedy of that for me.

So if you can afford it, go Gibson.

If you want a hard rocking SG - get an SG Standard.

If classic rock is more your thing, then get an SG Special.

The Fadeds are also a very good bargain is you don't mind the rough finish.

I'm odd man out on this topic, but I tend to prefer the 490T over the 498T in the bridge of a Gibson SG so the Specials are a better bargain for me. The 498 just sounds a bit too hard and middy for me, whereas the 490 is more like a vintage PAF humbucker.

• Members

LOL at all the people who didnt read the thread properly

The OP is using a MIA strat with a humbucker in the bridge. He is plugging this into a Cube 60

IMO, if you ran that into a tube marshall like a DSL 50 you would be 95% of the way to ACDC tone.

Even if you ran a Gibson Angus Young sig SG into a Cube 60 you'd only be maybe 70% there with the tone.

I'd be fairly certain that you'd be much happier with the results you'd get with a good amp than with a new guitar.

An Epi G400 is what USD $350 plus shipping? And you could sell your Cube 60 for USD $200-250.

That would give you USD $600 to spend on an amp. Save up a little more and you'd certainly be able to get a Marshall DSL 50 head and a 2x12 cab, which is a really great amp.

• Members

I own a G-400 and a Special Faded. Both are great, but I actually slightly prefer the G-400 in terms of playability and sound. I don't think either you can go wrong with either one. In fact, I plan on getting a G-400 Custom someday, as well. Through my Marshall DSL 50, I have no problem nailing the "You Shook Me All Night Long" tone with the G-400. It's a great sounding guitar.

Now, as to the G-400 vs the SG Standard, that's an entirely different matter. The G-400, like the other Epi versions of Gibson classic designs, is a good approximation of the original at a lower price point, and a very good one, indeed. But there are differences in materials, workmanship, electronics and other specs, in order to facilitate the lower cost of the Epi. The Gibson is the superior instrument, but an Epi may be a better choice, it entirely depends upon the player's wants, needs, preferences, budget, etc..

• Members

I have had many many Sg's, mostly Gibson...a couple of Epiphones. In my own experience, I liked the Gibson Sg Specials the best. Standards are fine, they tend to be slightly more neck heavy (neck dive) in myexperience. I was told this may have to do with the headstock overlay being heavier...I don't know this as fact, but it's what I have been told. I currently have a Robot Sg Special, no neck dive whatsoever, very nicely balanced.

I had a couple of faded Gibsons. In my opinion, the fretwork was shoddy on these. My Epiphone G400 with pickups and three way switch replaced was heads and shoulders above these. I don't see why you can't get a decent Angus sound from your Cube amp either.

• Members

Just the amp part is confusing. Everyone is here talking about upgrading the amp and how that will make a big difference, and now you say the Cube 60 is not a problem.

Well, are you "playing out" or "at home"?

I have a Marshall DSL100 and kid you not, after getting it home, the first time I opened that puppy up around 9:00 on a Friday night, I had the neighbors calling me within 20 minutes, and there's an empty lot between our two houses. :eek:

So part of want I was thinking in my response is that you have to consider the application. The Roland will emulate but will of course have some limitations. Me, being a home player, I would be getting more utility out of the Roland Cube 60. The Marshalls need more room to breathe.

P.S. I recently found to my surprise that I like the reverb effect I get using the delay turned on low than the reverb effect. It has a bit more of a reverb tank tone whereas the reverb effect sounds a bit more hall-like to me.

• Members

To the OP there are many shoppers here giving you horrible advice without real reason and half of them buy and sell and hardly play {censored} and shouldn't be giving advice about music.

Sit with your Cube 60 and play with the tone knobs, you can get VERY close to the sound you are after.

• Members

To the OP there are many shoppers here giving you horrible advice without real reason and half of them buy and sell and hardly play {censored} and shouldn't be giving advice about music.

Sit with your Cube 60 and play with the tone knobs, you can get VERY close to the sound you are after.

The part above is so true about HCEG.

You can get great advice here, but you never know who is on the other side of that keyboard. I learned myself to take stuff here with a grain of salt. I remember in particular once buying a pickup based on a recommendation here that just didn't work for me at all. After a while you get a better idea of the players here and who is more in line with your own attributes. Some folks here are older, mature performers and even a few recording artists, others are heavy metal wanking teenager waiting for their mom and dad to buy them their next dream axe. Neither being bad, but you need to think about that when considering HCEG recommendations.

And I think I was already trying to say point 2 above.

• Members

I used to own a Cube 60...and you might get a "close enough" tone that you're talking about...but I kinda doubt it. If you're playing a US made Strat, and you don't like the tones...it's probably not the guitar...it's the amp. The Cubes do clean very well, but lose their luster when distorted. Go to the local shop with your Strat, and plug into several different amps to see if you can get the tone you're looking for.

But hey, you do what you do...with what you own...I just gave my opinion...
:thu:

But you can get any distorted tone you want via pedals so if hes happy with the clean tone I say keep the amp. I love a good tube amp as much as the next guy but if he's happy with the sounds he's getting from his current amp then there's no real reason to change.

• Members

But you can get any distorted tone you want via pedals so if hes happy with the clean tone I say keep the amp. I love a good tube amp as much as the next guy but if he's happy with the sounds he's getting from his current amp then there's no real reason to change.

That's pretty simplistic. There are a lot of sounds that pedals can't convincingly do that tube amps do naturally. Power amp distortion is one of them.

• Members

Cubes are great solid state amps. However, I am going to agree that you are going to have a hard time getting a convincing Angus tone. If you really want to keep that amp, get a Tonebone Plexitube to run in front of it. Combine that with the G-400 or a used SG- and I think you will be pleased.

• Members

I don't think anyone said it doesn't sound good. I think most people are simply saying that it's not an ideal amp for an angus tone.

Exactly. The OP wants to spend money to get an ACDC sound. We are simply suggesting that the money may be better spent on a valve Marshall than on an Epi SG.

• Members

I own a couple of Gibsons and Epis and have owned several others in the past. I also own a ESP Viper that would match the Gibson SG Special in terms of quality, features and tone.

But I have to agree with the posting pointing you to an Epi (~$300) and getting a tube amp. I also own a Roland Cube (80X) - fantastic sounding amp, especially driving a 2x12 cab. But nothing beats some of the tones I get from tube amps. Better clean, better dirty and better clean using pedals.

A crappy guitar can sound good through an excellent amp but an excellent guitar will not sound great through a crappy amp.

Also consider using pedals to get the tones you want.

Hope this helps.

Archived