When & What Gibson Les Pauls Have Weight Relief Holes?

Bbreaker

• Members

Well by the same logic a Gibson can no longer claim to be "the real thing"

Agiles aren't weight relieved BTW

Sure they can. Gibson owns and defines "the real thing", so if they decide to change the recipe, then the recipe gets changed. It might not be as good as it once was, or it might be better, but it's their recipe to change. But, it's your then get to decide if that new recipe is something you wanna buy. A lot of peoplesaid it wasn't, so Gibson got to come out with models that make the original construction a premium feature. You see how they win there? They get more money for doing less work to the bodies, and suckers, I mean customers, flock to them.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Standard-Traditional-Pro-Electric-Guitar?sku=581715

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-Standard-Traditional-Pro-Electric-Guitar-105312888-i1444565.gc

both says "non-chambered".

all carved top Gibson USA(regular production) LPs are either swiss-cheesed or chambered. i don't think Gibson USA will modify its initial production process just for one model. so its highly unlikely that it has a real solid body.

• Members

ive often wondered why the things got the swiss cheese treatment in the first place. it really cant remobe alot of weight. i think i have a guess though.

its illegal to ship raw mahogany cross border. mountains of paperwork to import it, lots of cost involved etc.

drill 9 holes in the board, now its a value added product, not illegal, no paperwork, lots of money saved.

probably not why they do it now, but it may have instigated the process in the 80's.

(i always come back to thinking that most of the features usually relate to lowering costs)

• Members

both says "non-chambered".

all carved top Gibson USA(regular production) LPs are either swiss-cheesed or chambered. i don't think Gibson USA will modify its initial production process just for one model. so its highly unlikely that it has a real solid body.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Standard-Traditional-Electric-Guitar?sku=519319

this one states weight relief specifically.

• Members

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-Electric-Guitar?sku=517030

Based on this description, Studios aren't chambered.

quiet you. they wrote it on those 3 to differentiate. this is what im trying to say, when it was on gibsons site, they made a point of specifically saying it was not weight relieved. more specific than the vague MF description.

anyhow, unless someone can find that page, or show a cut open trad pro, theres no further point here :)

• Members

quiet you. they wrote it on those 3 to differentiate. this is what im trying to say, when it was on gibsons site, they made a point of specifically saying it was not weight relieved. more specific than the vague MF description.

anyhow, unless someone can find that page, or show a cut open trad pro, theres no further point here
:)

If you take a look at the Gibson site and read up on the studio, it first says it has a solid mahogany back and then several sections later says it's a chambered mahogany back. All I'm saying is copy on a website can be misleading.:idk:

• Members

If you take a look at the Gibson site and read up on the studio, it first says it has a solid mahogany back and then several sections later says it's a chambered mahogany back. All I'm saying is copy on a website can be misleading.
:idk:

i know it can be misleading. but i remember the ad copy for the trad pro rambling on about how this model was not relieved, just like they used to be done etc etc. it was a very specific feature.

anyhow, its lost in time and space now. :p

• Members

i know it can be misleading. but i remember the ad copy for the trad pro rambling on about how this model was not relieved, just like they used to be done etc etc. it was a very specific feature.

anyhow, its lost in time and space now.
:p

Just like it used to be done in the early post-Norlin years. It was crappy copy, which is why it was fixed.

• Members

Just like it used to be done in the early post-Norlin years. It was crappy copy, which is why it was fixed.

haha, no, the traditional was "like the post norlin years". anyhow. maybe someone can phone gibson and ask. the guitar is still listed on the japanese site, but has no detailed description.

• Members

haha, no, the traditional was "like the post norlin years". anyhow. maybe someone can phone gibson and ask. the guitar is still listed on the japanese site, but has no detailed description.

The Traditional Pro is part of the Traditional line. Plain top*, push-pulls, locking tuners, satin back, BB3/57. No need to phone Gibson, a rep confirmed the weight relief at MyLesPaul. I'd pull up the thread, but you can't search 3-letter terms over there. A solid back Paul is a Custom Shop or Historic-only feature. If it appeared on a normal production model, it would be allcaps in the description.

Mine, inexplicably, has a nice flame top. :confused:

• Members

I don't know if LP Axcesses are relieved or chambered or not.

I wondered about it but then I thought, what does it matter? I love the sound of it

If it sounds good to you and you don't know if it's chambered, would make a difference if you found out it was?

• 10 years later...
  • Moderators

likely the 'Swiss cheese' weight relief..is that a Standard, Custom, Classic?

The 9 hole weight relief started around 1982, IIRC, and was still used on most models up until 2007, when they went 'hog' wild...

Early weight relief holes are on the upper side of the lower bout, behind and above the bridge, so I think if you 'tap' that area, you should notice a different sound than elsewhere on the guitar. Around 2007 they went to the 'extreme' chambering...lowering the weight to an amazing 8.5 lbs or less [Les?]

2 hours ago, Voltan said:

bring it by the shop...   i have a digital x-ray... 

I'd love to see inside my Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet - it's supposed to have a bunch of holes for weight-relief in it too, but the darned thing is as heavy as any Les Paul I've ever owned - even the Norlin era ones. 

• Members
11 hours ago, Phil O'Keefe said:

I'd love to see inside my Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet - it's supposed to have a bunch of holes for weight-relief in it too, but the darned thing is as heavy as any Les Paul I've ever owned - even the Norlin era ones. 

seriously...  we have digital x-rays in both clinics...  the new hospital we’re building will have cat scan as well... i think we are breaking ground next month. we remained open after a cat 5 hurricane, and currently still taking care of all your critters...  business as usual, at a protected distance.  stop by, i’ll pick up lunch...   

11 hours ago, Voltan said:

seriously...  we have digital x-rays in both clinics...  the new hospital we’re building will have cat scan as well... i think we are breaking ground next month. we remained open after a cat 5 hurricane, and currently still taking care of all your critters...  business as usual, at a protected distance.  stop by, i’ll pick up lunch...   

It's a bit of a drive, and they're not letting us travel unless it's absolutely essential at the moment, but I sincerely appreciate the offer, and the next time I head to Merritt Island to visit my family down there, I just might take you up on that - if you'll let me buy the beers. :philbeer: :wave: 

Archived