Any thoughts on the Fender price drops?

Maess

• Members

I seriously doubt that, Bert-O. I believe that Fender (along with many well-informed people and businesses) were taken by surprise when the economy tanked last year. I'd been counting on a collapse of real estate values, but the breadth of the effect on the economy at-large and the impact on the international markets took me by surprise. I think Fender simply determined that they had held their prices long enough and needed an increase, but their timing turned out to be disastrous.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Those are actually legit street prices. The current (post-price-reduction) MAP on that ash american tele is 1400$.

Looks like the Ash American Tele is either $1050 or $1150 depending on color:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-American-Standard-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=515750

Looks like MSRP is $1400, but not MAP.

• Members

Ah I see, I was confusing MSRP and MAP.

MSRP is essentially meaningless anymore, and MAP is pretty much the new MSRP.

Good deals (IMO) start around 20% off of MAP, and you should be able to get just about anything for 15% off of MAP with minimal haggling.

• Members
MSRP is essentially meaningless anymore, and MAP is pretty much the new MSRP.

Good deals (IMO) start around 20% off of MAP, and you should be able to get just about anything for 15% off of MAP with minimal haggling.

Gotcha. I just wish my GAS aligned with the few good deals I've run across. :facepalm:

• Members

For an American-made guitar, $999 is an excellent price. The USA Charvels are roughly that price. And a few others. Would be nice if other companies (like BC Rich and Jackson) would follow suit.

I agree, as long as that is just the MAP price, not the actual price you pay.

The USA Charvels are roughly that price, but no one in their right mind would pay $1099 for one. I've bought three of them new, and the most I paid was around $850, and I thought that was a little high for what I got... YMMV.

• Members

the mims will drop back down(maybe not back to 350)when the mias start selling again. if you have a loss somewhere you have to make up for it somewhere else. they made a mistake and they no it at least un-like gibson, they arnt sacrificing quality to make up for it. i know the fender guys are glad for it and at least they will backing off on the worn guitars. im a little tired of seeing the new old look on the spotlight stands when i go into a music store

I disagree with the comment about Gibson. Gibson has American made guitars at almost every price point from $500 (Melody Maker). I think Fender has too many options at various price points and has not done a great job differentiating them from each other.

• Members

It's basically economics in action. They tried to upsell product at higher margins, a la Gibson, and it failed. But their current "lower" prices are still too high.

I bought a brand new MIA Series Tele with the $100 ash body up charge for
$735
total in 2004. That same guitar now sells for
56.4% more at $1150
according to MF. I would only buy used from now on.

so what? I could fill up my Suburban with gas for $45 in 2004...now it would be twice that. That was SIX YEARS AGO...and things have changed.

For what you get, $999 is a great price for an American made guitar...and they really play well!

• Members

I disagree with the comment about Gibson. Gibson has American made guitars at almost every price point from $500 (Melody Maker). I think Fender has too many options at various price points and has not done a great job differentiating them from each other.

..yeah fender offers allot of models, but thats to get as many people as they can playing them. thats besides the point if your going to disagree get it right. i said gibson sacrificed quality

now im sure yall want me to back that up with some logic sence most of you reading this wont go see for yourselves and i do relize allot of you are not old enough to have seen the decline in quality first hand like of us old bastards on here. but here we go a completely out of place post in this thread.

i dont buy the first thing i see. i shop for guitars . i play all of them on the wall, or floor or whatever is there at many stores and will go back to a store later for a new shipments. I only buy the best of what they have, but im from a different time where you got what you payed for. you dont see allot of flaws in allot of fenders at a store, but you really have to shop for gibson these days. ive seen shop owners send back whole shipments to gibson..i think thous end up at gc.

now to base a comparison on quality you have to have played a very wide variety of a brand and model. as far as a wide variety i have gibson lps from as early as 56 to my most recent(and most likely last purchase) of an 09 lp std. take for instance my 99 lp stnd.. bought new.. and the new 09 lp i recently purchased and have returned 3 times due to bad electronics and traded today for a fender because i was completely fed up with it. now im starting with 99lp std because it was last guitar i got from gibson that was completely, 100%, finished. it had a well buffed glossy finish, the frets were level and completely finished,the binding perfectly fitted, a well cured, quality fretboard, finished joints that looked like they caved the guitar out of one peice of wood , and ive never had any problem with any of the electronics on it.an all together well built guitar that you would exspect to get for the price.

the 09 had unfinished frets on all 3 guitars that required hours of work leveling and polishing , the bindings were rough and not well fitted the joints have noticeable gaps and ive seen better paint jobs from earl shive. there was so much orange peel that i swear gm is painting their guitars.not to mention flat tone and scratchy pots, inferior quality woods, and it looks like a preschooler set em up as compared to other lps ive bought new.ive have less trouble with mag on the flathead than this guitar(anyone whos dealt with an aftermarket magneto on a flathead ford knows the reference).

now the very recent fender acquisitions(1/4/10 at around 1330) to the 09 gibson i traded... granted my mia fenders only go back to the mid 80s and i haven't had as many because at one time gibson was the better built guitar for the money.... i recently purchased 2 new mia teles. compared to any of my other fenders that i bought new there's not much difference in the look or feel. they are still completely finished, fairly well setup for factory. other than i prefer a gibson neck , i really have no complaints about them. i have also had allot of mim teles that have the same good quality as the mias.

so price concerns.. i was glad to pay the upped price last year because it was still less than gibson for a better product and im even happy to pay less now because i can 2 for what i was paying for one gibson

• Members

For an American-made guitar, $999 is an excellent price. The USA Charvels are roughly that price. And a few others. Would be nice if other companies (like BC Rich and Jackson) would follow suit.

A couple of things.

For a great guitar, $1000 would be a good price regardless of the country of origin. It's not that difficult to find American-made guitars that sell for under $1000. Are those American-made Fenders worth $1000? I don't know. I know that for that price I would look at other brands.

Doesn't Fender own Charvel? Their pricing decisions may be as bad for each brand.

I like Fender and since I started playing I wanted a Fender. So far I have preferred other brands to cover my Fender needs, such as G&L, US Masters, Melancon, etc. "Comparable" Fenders have consistently been way more expensive than the ones I chose.

• Members

Hmm...why are Jacksons prices going up?

because they can..jacksons have always been up and down on prices. i remember a jackson ust to cost more than an lp then less than a mim fender a couple of years later. i dont get jackson so they can keep their guitar

• Members

so what? I could fill up my Suburban with gas for $45 in 2004...now it would be twice that. That was SIX YEARS AGO...and things have changed.

For what you get, $999 is a great price for an American made guitar...and they really play well!

Yeah, and a flat screen TV is now less than 1/2 the price of a similar one from 2004.

$1.00 in 2004 had about the same buying power as $1.14 in 2009.

Annual inflation over this period was about 2.67%.

• Members

ok guys we cant compare gas to a guitar. bu if we must lets have a simple understanding of what gasoline is and while its so high. number one the world is addicted to crude so the big 3 can sell it for whatever they want. number 2. a gallon of gas still only cost 22cents to make.. same as in 1970.gasoline is a LOW GRADE FUEL OIL and we use LOW GRADE CRUDE OIL(heavy sour crude and tank bottoms) to make it, but if we still payed 39cents a gall we would pay over a grand a month for electricity in a small apartment and heating oils would bankrupt people. not to mention shipping cost would go through the roof, groceries would unobtainable for the average working man, and yould have to take out a second and 3rd mortgage on you house to even think about walking into an airport.

large companies have to take something from somewhere to make affordable products. i think raising an mim a couple hundred to drop the mia down a few hundred is a fair trade

• Members

Unless you've lived in the UK you really don't know how expensive it is.

I spend most of the year in a Western European capital, so I've got a good feel for the cost of living and purchasing power parity of the major currencies. It just strikes me as odd that holders of currencies worth about 50% more than the dollar just can't stop complaining about how expensive American products are.

Archived