Any thoughts on the Fender price drops?

Maess

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
To me paying $1,000 for a Strat is ridiculous...

I don't think it's ridiculous if it's a well made guitar. Les Pauls are considerably more. If it's an American made guitar that is built to last a lifetime (maybe longer if it's taken care of) then I think it's a bargain. Think how much a Stradivarius costs. They're not cheap. By weight a strat is more. I like the sound of a guitar more than a violin. I would assume most people here do. For about a thousand dollars we can buy a guitar that's just as good as any other out there. I think that's a pretty good deal.

• Members

I don't believe that a cheap guitar will ever beat a GOOD Gibson or Fender. Once again, I do believe there are crap Gibsons out there, but when they are good they are unbeatable. For the record, I don't own a Fender and the only Gibson I own is my J45 acoustic.

Completely serious not being a smart ass question, do you know how the cost of wood has changed over the last five years or so? I can't find anything and I'm curious.

I've played good Fenders and Gibsons. Usually they charge acordingly for such good guitars. Two that come to mind are a $5000 Les Paul from the 90s and a Rory Gallagher Fender. For those prices, there are plenty of alternatives, including Suhr, Anderson, Baker, McInturf, Watson, Melancon, Giffin, Hamer, etc. Often they're even cheaper.

I haven't followed wood prices, but you can check eBay for single pieces. Some nice body pieces, air dried for 5 years, with flame, quilt, or other figures are $30, $45, $109 (OBO).

Luthiers usually can get them cheaper. You can find them at suppliers for $60-$130 list, depending on the actual wood. For a company like Fender or Gibson costs are obviously much lower.

I checked this site with links many years ago:

http://buildyourguitar.com/resources/suppliers.htm

• Members

Is $999 a new price point set by Fender now, or is it a temporary sale price? I have regularly seen them go for $799-$899 since the price increase last year. When they were doing the $100 rebate on them, I could have picked one up for $699 brand new...

• Members

Is $999 a new price point set by Fender now, or is it a temporary sale price? I have regularly seen them go for $799-$899 since the price increase last year. When they were doing the $100 rebate on them, I could have picked one up for $699 brand new...

According to a dealer friend, these are the new prices.

• Members

What willbe really interesting is the effect this will have on the used market. I had seen pristine used American strats and teles going for as much as $850 for the past year. Lately I've seen used American strat prices dip below the $600, which I haven't seen for ages. Now that this price cut is permenant, I would bet that the used prices continue to fall as well.

• Members
I think Fender saw what the oil companies have been doing and said "why not?" So they jacked up their prices, got everyone to scream about it, and not this big "price cut" takes them back to where they were in some cases (higher in other cases) and this thread is all "wow, Fender cut prices, let's buy buy buy!"

Sorry, I ain't fallin for it..

yep pretty much,they realized their mistake because their sales dropped way off as i expected.now the big price cuts....puhlease.

• Members

All I know is, I'm pretty sure that folks that bought new at the higher prices simply because the MIA Fenders "hold their value better than anything and are a good investment" are doing a bit of :facepalm: right now.

I think the new prices are a good move on Fenders part. I hope they sell as many guitars as they can build and that the price cuts eventually end up across the board. I'd love to see more guitarists buying American Fenders (and any other American brand) in the very near future. :thu:

Heck, they may even catch me at a weak moment and I'll end up with an American Telecaster... I go through periods of nearly uncontrollable GAS for one followed by moments of reason that keeps me paying the mortgage and putting food on the table instead. But a GAS-addled mind can justify a lot of things if the price is right enough. :freak:

• Members

I got a Deluxe series Fender last Monday, about three days before Fender dropped their prices, but Elderly was nice enough to credit me the 100$ difference. Yay for me. But apparently they had me either way. GAS was talking and my wallet was answering.

• Members

It's basically economics in action. They tried to upsell product at higher margins, a la Gibson, and it failed. But their current "lower" prices are still too high.

I bought a brand new MIA Series Tele with the $100 ash body up charge for $735 total in 2004. That same guitar now sells for 56.4% more at $1150 according to MF. I would only buy used from now on.

• Members

It's basically economics in action. They tried to upsell product at higher margins, a la Gibson, and it failed. But their current "lower" prices are still too high.

I bought a brand new MIA Series Tele with the $100 ash body up charge for
$735
total in 2004. That same guitar now sells for
56.4% more at $1150
according to MF. I would only buy used from now on.

The key phrase there is 'according to MF'. If a guitar has a MAP of $1150, you should be able to find it somewhere for around $900 or so.

If the 'new' price on the American Strat is $999, then you should be able to easily get one out the door for around $800.

• Members

I wonder if this was Fender's plan all along...

To raise prices & get everyone's hackles up, and secretly wrench their hopes of being able to afford a USA strat or Tele, + probably wrangle some "creative" business/tax dodge...

Then wait for the new year to kick in and drop JUST the prices on the USA-mades to capture all those who were just on the verge of giving up hope. Tricking them into crawling just that little ways NORTH of their normal purchasing boundaries?

Ya think? :confused:

• Members

The key phrase there is 'according to MF'. If a guitar has a MAP of $1150, you should be able to find it somewhere for around $900 or so.

If the 'new' price on the American Strat is $999, then you should be able to easily get one out the door for around $800.

Those are actually legit street prices. The current (post-price-reduction) MAP on that ash american tele is 1400$.

Archived