GFS Superstrat Kit

4273277906_0d3288bc8d.jpg

GFS Boston Blues (Texas output) Set

4272533025_376f2b273b.jpg

Wilkinson EZ-Lok Tuners

4273278364_c8e86547c2.jpg

GFS Satin Finish Maple on Maple Strat Neck

4272533121_048322cabf.jpg

All of this GFS stuff arrived a week before the body so I had fun wiring up the Superstrat kit.

• Members

On New Year's Eve, the body arrived:

Warmoth Popular Drop Top Strat with Blueburst over Quilted Maple with Natural Masked Binding
4273278220_b053038ab9_b.jpg

The picture has the neck and ground wire attached because the neck heel was at least 1/4" too big for the neck pocket. I was expecting more like 1/8". Scared me enough that I had a pro do the alterations and screwed in the bridge and neck for me.

• Members

Tonight I finally got it all put together! It definitely plays as good as it looks.

4273561076_725fba7f25_b.jpg

The three way switches allow for three positions for each pickup: on, off, reverse phase. Plus, the switches just look wicked!

4273560940_957cafbe19_b.jpg

Sure, the body is incredible but I cannot rave enough about this neck! It is the smoothest, most natural finish I have ever felt. The frets are also perfectly finished. I just can't believe it cost so little!

Well, what do you think? I have built guitars before but this is the first time I have ever done it for myselft.

• Members

That looks very sharp. How are the Boston Blues? I've been thinking about picking up a set to breathe new life into my Strat.

So far so good. To be honest, they just sound like a really good set of strat pickups. Nice and clear, though. Haven't played with them much to see what they can really do.

• Members

looks awesome.

only thing id change is the clear covers.

id prefer black myself

Actually, they look black except for close up. I was kind of hoping the blue windings on the pickups would be more noticable. Oh well. Still looks pretty great.

• Members

Thanks for all the great comments!

Jkater: I picked this body because my wife said it reminded her of the ocean. And she's right!

Grunge782: I bought the body when Warmoth was doing 20% off all in stock bodies so the entire project was about $600. Not bad!

• Members

Each pickup is on-off-reverse phase. Haven't messed with them much but there are a ton of cool tones.

Had I know before you assembled it, I would have recommended this wiring:

http://ashbass.com/AshBassGuitar/armstrongstrat.html

Although this scheme doesn't give you any of the reverse-phase combos.

Enjoy your new project-guitar!

• Members

Had I know before you assembled it, I would have recommended this wiring:

Although this scheme doesn't give you any of the reverse-phase combos.

Enjoy your new project-guitar!

Interesting. However, it is the phase-reversing that I am more interested in the the series-parallel. Of course, I can always change it if I get bored!

• Members

Finally had a chance to track down a persistent grounding issue and play with the guitar for a while. Dang, it feels just plain sexy! I do need the get used to the pickups. I haven't owned an all single coil guitar for about 15 years. So far, I like the pickups and have found several settings that I really like:

neck alone
bridge alone
neck and bridge
bridge and middle out of phase
bridge and middle in phase

I do need to shield the cavity, though. Serious 60 cycle right now.

Archived