Does anyone else know a guitar player who changes guitars like underwear?

Invader.CC

• Members

I have a very close friend his name is Rudy he is a 35 year veteran guitar player and is extremely talented but always broke...He has a very attractive much younger wife an 3 small children .So he never has much cash to spare.But he goes through guitars faster than anyone i have ever seen.I'm not exaggerating one bit when i say he goes through at least two guitars a week and never since i have known him (almost 5 years ) has never kept a guitar longer than 3 or 4 weeks..

He even managed to get banned from Guitar center for buying guitars and bring them back to many times..The thing is he always upgrades the guitars before selling them for a major loss or taking them back either by having a pro setup and intonation /fret job done or upgrading pickups..

Not long ago i traded a guy some speaker for a Epiphone SG400..I then sold it to Rudy for a very good price of $225 only to have him sell it to me again 3 days later for $150 ..His asking price not mine..

This week since last Friday he has gone from a Laguna something or another to a MIM strat that he has now sold for a $50 dollar loss to the same pawn shop he bought it from ...He now has a squire Telecaster..:facepalm:

Does anyone else know someone like this?

• Members

Where is he finding all this time to play, buy, trade and sell guitars with a hot young wife and more importantly 3 children?

This is were the story gets even better he owns a one person company that paints addresses on the curb in front of your home for like $15 bucks and then plays in 3 different bands ..He plays in a two piece acoustic bass and guitar band...A hard rock almost metal house band on Thursday nights ..Then plays in a Blues/Classic rock band also...

I also must say that the most expensive guitar he ever bought was a road worn Strat or a HWY 1...So it's not high dollar gear that he is buying and selling...

• Members

Yeah, I have a buddy who buys all these guitars, then loses interest right away and flips em for a profit.

Difference is, th e OP's friend sells them at a LOSS. I agree it sounds like a pathology, and something for which he should seek help (before his wife and kids are out the door...)

• Members

if he was selling like mazi bees friend (i do that pretty often, selling for a profit) it wouldnt be a big deal. i think he needs to sell everything, save up a nice chunk of change and grab a really really nice guitar thats a keeper. he can play it for a while and save up again and add another great one. thats what im trying to do, and even as a college student, ive wound up with a gibson and a usa strat (even if they are faded and hwy 1 :lol:)

• Members

Your friend sounds like a douchebag.
:lol:

To buy a guitar from you for $225 and then sell it back for $150 is not being a douche IMO. A douche would make up some story about what was wrong with the guitar and then demand his money back.

He definitely has an impulsive behavior problem but who are we here at HCEG to throw stones?:poke:

• Members

Actually, that almost shows to me more of a healthy attitude towards GAS. Sure he takes a loss, but it's probably budget-able and no biggie to him.

Personally, I'm too hung up on keeping the guitars I've bought so I have significant carrying costs. I may have some interest I'm paying on a line of credit or if I sold the guitars I might be able to invest that money and make more income. But I'm hung up on saving them, and someday getting my money or more back on them so they hang around, taking up spaces, needing care and feeding, and my attic is full of shipping boxes, etc.

So this guy may lose a hundred or two a month or so, but it's probably manageable and still cheaper than hookers and crack; AND he doesn't have the carrying costs that I do with my form of GAS.

I guess it appeals to me that he's not too hung up on holding onto the materialistic items. Just sounds a bit healthier, but of course, not thrifty either. But no GAS is.