I'm done with Harmony Central for now.

Ancient Mariner

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But I'm not going to get into an argument about this. The word is offensive, some don't think so, but those who are hurt by it do think so. It gets reported enough to let me know a lot of people find the word offensive.

This is exactly what I'm talking about but Mazi said it better.

• Members

So if he gets the ban for that, why is the guy with the antisemetic flag allowed to remain? I have to see that crap every time he posts. A little consistency.

EG

Because certain mods (not all, some were as discusted as I was) have no problem with Anti-Semitism. Send me a PM and I'll forward you some stuff that will sicken you.

• Members

"

Also, it doesn't matter if he used it to describe a guitar. The word itself is what matters.

But I'm not going to get into an argument about this. The word is offensive, some don't think so, but those who are hurt by it do think so. It gets reported enough to let me know a lot of people find the word offensive.

Thats taking it to far, context matters. That's like saying a comedian should be arrested if he 'slays them'.

If its going to be this way then lets take it all the way and start banning people for using the word 'retarded' in a derogatory way or 'gay' for that matter...

• Members

That fellow is not being anti-Semitic. He's being anti the state of Israel.

That is anti-Semitic for Christ's Sake, prima facia, text book anti-Semitism. You can look up a three letter word that may or may not be a slur and you can't look up anti-Semitism?

Thats taking it to far, context matters. That's like saying a comedian should be arrested if he 'slays them'.

If its going to be this way then lets take it all the way and start banning people for using the word 'retarded' in a derogatory way or 'gay' for that matter...

In some forums both those words have been outlawed when used derogatorily.

That is anti-Semitic for Christ's Sake, prima facia, text book anti-Semitism. You can look up a three letter word that may or may not be a slur and you can't look up anti-Semitism?

No. He is against the policies of Israel, not the people. The same as saying you don't agree with Britain or the US being in Iraq or whatever.

And by the way, I hate that avatar myself.

• Members

No. He is against the policies of Israel, not the people. The same as saying you don't agree with Britain or the US being in Iraq or whatever.

but i thought political statements were also against the rules:confused:

• Members

It's nice we have such clear resolution on this matter and nobody is hurt yet a guy abbreviates the country of origin of a guitar and he gets banned rather than warned.

• Members

I'd prefer if you spelled out "United States of America". I find the term US offensive, especially when you don't put any periods in there. :mad:

• Members

No point in arguing, I don't think you get it. Some people find that as offensive or more offensive than the word in question. However, it is allowed to go on, because it's political speech. You do know that offensive speech is covered by the 1st amendment, right? So if it applies to the guy with the anti-jewish flag it applied to a guy who uses the word in question. Lets not be hypocrites here.

• Members

Enough has been said and debated about the term in this thread IMO.

That being said, I really do wish you would stay.

Your posts are usually insightful. I may not always agree, but so what. It's an internet forum and there will be people that agree and disagree with what I say. There will be people that like me and people that don't. I pay attention to those that offer good advice and insight. And those that make me laugh. If something is overtly offensive, I will report it. But that is pretty rare in HCEG. I can't say that for HCPP or HCOJ.

In general, we have a very good mod squad, and I'm thankful for it. But we are all human. We make mistakes and we have flaws. If the problems can be corrected, great. If not and there are repeated offenses, then it's time for a ban. Sometimes things go overboard and then you are entitled to an explanation and maybe asked not to do it again. As humans, we hopefully learn from our mistakes. Forgiveness is a powerful tool that both sides can use.

Archived