I'm done with Harmony Central for now.

Ancient Mariner

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's just as easy to type 'MIJ'...just sayin'.

My guess is you offended somebody and got reported. There's a kid in Canada that has used derogatory terms for those of Asian descent, but funny thing is he is of Asian descent. :idk:

Yours was only a temp ban, right? I mean you're here ain't ya?

• Members

That is absolutely ridiculous.. I asked my sister-in-law (who is MIJ) whether that is offensive, she said it just sounded like a short way to refer to things/people of Japan (since she found out that Americans get offended by it, she won't stop using it. go figure!).. Not offensive!!

Soon 'apple pie' will be offensive..

• Members

In the context that you've used it, the term "Jap" is clearly not offensive. Ridiculous

...and i'm in favour of political correctness

Then again, "Jap" might be a much more offensive term in America - it's really not offensive at all in Britain. Perhaps could have considered cultural differences?

• Members

Haha, I recently got into one of many pissing contests with Motorik, he used his mod power to send me an "infraction." First and only "infraction" I have had in seven years or so on the board . . . imagine that. Then I spoke of it in a post, and he edited the post to remove the reference.

The fun tends to end when the cops show up. Especially if you argue with them.

• Members

I'm Japanese and I used to find the word to be offensive. I am reminded of the headline that read "Japs Bomb Tokio" but seeing it on the forum and in Indiana (where I go to school) I find that most people aren't intending offensive when they say and it and don't even realize it.

Why are mods being so sensitive? If it isn't meant to be offensive, and nobody said anything, then it doesn't seem like a big deal.

• Members

You have been banned for the following reason:

"Jap" is a racist and offensive term. Look it up. If you want to talk about the origin of a japanese strat, spell out the whole word.

Date the ban will be lifted: 01-26-2010, 12:00 AM

that is the stupidest {censored}ing thing I ever heard.

somebody ban that moderator.:mad:

• Members

Using an inapproriate term for Japanese, specifically the 3 letter abbreviation you used, has occured numerous times over the past few months, at the very least. I've been involved, more than once, in the thread attempting to point out that it, at least to some people, it is indeed inappropriate. Typically, a long, off-topic discussion occured as to whether it truly was wrong to use this word. In most cases, it took many, many posts by many, many different members here to make the point that it should not be used. In no cases do I remember anyone being banned for it's use.

While ignorance is no excuse, as it applies to laws, that precept does not apply in this case. There are no laws governing the use of a particular word, at least in countries that are supposed to have freedom of speech. There are rules here at HC which ask that you not degrade another member or use degrogatory verbage...or at least something along those lines. However, you actually have to be aware you are actually doing so, don't you? Assuming that everyone knows what is right or wrong to say, in any context, can be a mistake.

IMHO, a ban, temp or not, was not appropriate...a PM to discuss things would have been a better direction to take. After that, if there was agrument about the issue, or refusal to comply with the request of the mod, then a ban would be the second action to take.

• Members

Dear Musicians Friend,

I have been a long time contributor to your Harmony-Central Electric Guitar Forum and very much appreciate this fine service you provide. As a regular customer of MF, many of my purchases were based on the positive discussions found in this forum.

I use the word "were" do to a recent decision to depart the forum entirely due to the heavy-handed, overzealous nature of the moderator XXXX. If this person isn't removed from the moderator position, I will not return, nor will I continue to freely spend at your Musicians Friend website.

This decision comes now, just before my band is about to order a $6000 pa system. To be more direct, either something is done to correct this moderator problem or I will be looking elsewhere to do my musical supplies business in the future.

Thanks you for your time.

Regards,

YYYYY

• Members

I do think that using that term is offensive.

I don't think AM meant it that way, but what is considered offensive around here seems to depend on the source. Mods posting anti-Semetic photos or having an avatar with an x through the Isreali flag is acceptable to the mods, as is using slurs through the PM system.

Posting what AM did is not ok, but I think he probably did it to type less letters and I doubt he did it to offend or hurt anyone.

He probably meant it like someone would type USA or Am instead of American.

I think that the mod should have PM'd him and asked him not to use the term. Nothing more.

Archived