Poly doesn't wear like nitro!

turnip

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Nitro wears more quickly than poly, and often in a different fashion as it is more prone to yellowing and checking. Poly still wears, but it tends to be more durable and takes longer. It can yellow, too, but that usually happens in the color coat on poly guitars (versus the clear coat on nitro).

They both wear, it's just that nitro often wears more, and faster.

woop.

• Members
Unlike a lot of of our competitors, who settle for a polyurethane finish, Gibson opts for a nitrocellulose finish that will encourage the natural vibration of the instrument for a purer tone. In addition, a nitro finish is very porous and actually gets thinner over time. That way your guitar

• Members
Unlike a lot of of our competitors, who settle for a polyurethane finish, Gibson opts for a nitrocellulose finish that will encourage the natural vibration of the instrument for a purer tone. In addition, a nitro finish is very porous and actually gets thinner over time. That way your guitar

• Members

• Members

This is a modified 1970s Mustang that I recently sold. Poly finsh. Originally white. All natural wear.

IMG_2481.jpg

IMG_2501.jpg

IMG_2503.jpg

IMG_2505.jpg

IMG_2476.jpg

IMG_2097.jpg

The guy I sold it to (Dan, of Danocaster fame) swapped out the pickguard for a vintage pearloid one and took these photos outside so it doesn't look so yellow.

Mustang2.jpg

mustang1.jpg

• Members

This is a modified 1970s Mustang that I recently sold. Poly finsh. Originally white. All natural wear.

IMG_2481.jpg
IMG_2501.jpg
IMG_2503.jpg
IMG_2505.jpg
IMG_2476.jpg
IMG_2097.jpg

The guy I sold it to (Dan, of Danocaster fame) swapped out the pickguard for a vintage pearloid one and took these photos outside so it doesn't look so yellow.

Mustang2.jpg
mustang1.jpg

No {censored}ing way that's poly.

• Members

Fender has been poly coating guitars since the early/mid sixties (63?)... Nitro is put on top of the poly to satisfy the general publics belief that Nitro Cellulose guitars "breath" and generally have become the bottom line for creating great tone...

:facepalm:

Archived