Poly doesn't wear like nitro!

turnip

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I like nitro because it feels better than poly most of the time (poly tends to be put on too thick and often feels really sticky). That said, I honestly don't think that I could tell the difference between a well-applied poly finish and a nitro finish where similar care had been taken. But whatever. I just love guitars, especially good ones.

• Members
My understanding was the Stradivarius soaked the wook in a Zinc compound the altered the properties of the wood. Am I incorrect?

No one knows what makes a Stradivarious so special, really. It's a mystery as to what property of the wood makes it sound so good. But like many people, I can't hear the difference between a Stradivarius and a well-made modern violin. :facepalm:

• Members

My understanding was the Stradivarius soaked the wook in a Zinc compound the altered the properties of the wood. Am I incorrect?

There are many stories about what Stradivari did with his wood, some even suggest he used a preservative containing iron, copper and chrome salts (perhaps this is what you mean?), but they have never found any traces of those metals in the wood of his violins to support that theory.

I think is was his craftsmanship and the wood he used (he selected the trees personally) that made the difference. But it would be nice if you could just spray a coating on a guitar or a violin to give it a magic sound, wouldn

• Members

I like nitro because it feels better than poly most of the time (poly tends to be put on too thick and often feels really sticky). That said, I honestly don't think that I could tell the difference between a well-applied poly finish and a nitro finish where similar care had been taken. But whatever. I just love guitars, especially good ones.

Nitro is the sticky finish.

Archived