pawn shop dilemma (need quick reply)

BeerBaron

• Members

I have a bit of a problem on my hands. Yesterday I traded an Epiphone telecaster copy and a Dunlop CFH wah for a set neck telecaster guitar. Off brand.. p-90 pickups and ect ect.

I got it home. Played for a few... then I noticed that the wiring is not grounded at all and the frets are sharp as hell and the frets need leveling. In his exact words... He said that it was brand new. Which it sorta was. Still had the shrink wrap on the picks and rear cover plate. He didn't even have an amp for me to try it out on and I even asked if there was anything wrong with it and he said no.

What do you think about this situation? I am gonna be taking it back to him tomorrow. He said he treated this deal like a pawn and has to keep my stuff for a month before he can put it out. So I mean in some sence I do have the right to take it back.

But my main point is the damn this doesn't even work. Am I suppost to put 35 into wiring and 40+ for fret filing on a guitar that was listed as brand new? Clear case of false advertising no?

tell me what you think.

daniel :mad:

• Members

What brand is it and why did you not play/inspect it before agreeing to the trade? Hopefully the pawnshop owner will be gracious enough to give your stuff back but a deal is a deal. Oh, and new guitars don't always come perfect out the box.

edit: just noticed you said he didn't have an amp. Looks like you got hosed.

• Members

Your first mistake was trusting the word of some guy that runs a pawn shop. :facepalm:

How did you not notice the fret ends were sharp the second you picked it up at the store? That's generally the first thing to stick out when you first try out a guitar, pun intended.

Also, it may have been brand new, but pawn shop owners are not guitar experts by a long shot. I've seen many guitars at guitar center that are "new" that have sharp fret ends and {censored}ty wiring.

It's really up to you to really inspect something well before buying it.

Sucks, but hey, try to return it, see what happens.

• Members

Purely up to the shop owner. Legally, I don't think you have a leg to stand on. Good luck.

Anything in a pawn is necessarily not new, and certainly not warranted as being of any particular quality or suitability for a particular purpose.. It was there for your inspection but you didn't bring in an amp to check it out. If a pawn doesn't have an amp to test an electric, I go get one of mine and check it out that way. Once, when buying an amp with a line-out feature, I even brought in a separate amp to test that.

Caveat emptor.

• Members

Purely up to the shop owner. Legally, I don't think you have a leg to stand on. Good luck.

Anything in a pawn is necessarily not new, and certainly not warranted as being of any particular quality or suitability for a particular purpose.. It was there for your inspection but you didn't bring in an amp to check it out. If a pawn doesn't have an amp to test an electric, I go get one of mine and check it out that way. Once, when buying an amp with a line-out feature, I even brought in a separate amp to test that.

Yeah. What HE said. :o

Caveat emptor.

Uhm..... gezundheit :confused:

• Members

Didn't feel the sharp fret ends when you tried it... even without an amp?
:facepalm:

Good thing is that fret ends are an easy fix you can do yourself and I seriously doubt the all the grounds are unsoldered so that could just be a quick solder job and again it's something you can easily do yourself. Might even just be a cold solder. Good time to learn a couple of basic skills.

As advice and while you're still in the learning curve, take a guitar playing buddy along when you do your shopping. He may be able to find issues with a guitar that you still can't easily find yet.

Sounds like an easy fix though and the best of luck to you with the project. A little research and practice and I'm sure it'll work out fine.
:thu:

• Members

I'm the eternal optimist. While I agree with the others that you should have picked up on the sharp fret ends, I say if the shop owner won't take the stuff back - and my guess is he won't - then take it as a learning experience on two levels. Learn not to trust anything you ever hear or see in a pawn shop, learn to check out stuff a little more thoroughly and learn to work on the fret ends and learn to solder. Take your time, don't get in a hurry, read the schematic or look at good quality google pics if that's easier for you and ask questions and we'll help you through it.

Archived