Excited about iPad?

amplayer

• Members

What about Java? I like to trade currencies over the net and need some charts.

This would be cool for reading music, tabs, and charts. I could also see these taking off in classrooms everywhere.

You could hang it on your wall like a picture frame showing off your photo collections when you're not using it.

Also an Etch-O-Sketch program might be cool too. :cool:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The iPad is $500 also. I doubt the MSI will be better than iPad. Then again, to me, the iPad is best as an ebook reader and web browser, albeit without flash.

Yeah it won't sell as many units but it freakin' takes the cake in abilities.

• Members

This is the tablet that I wished I could have bought when I ordered my first-generation iPod Touch on the day it was announced. All I really want is a decent web browser and a music player. The rest is gravy.

The iPad is not, AFAICT, in the same space as a netbook. No keyboard, no file management, no webcam, no GPS, no phone, ... the list goes on. If I wanted a netbook I'd buy one and save myself a few hundred bucks. But I don't want a netbook.

There's a subtle difference in the way one approaches a pad vs. a netbook. The pad is always ready to go at a touch. The netbook's clamshell design adds a step. Trivial? Maybe. But no one has ever lost a buck overestimating the laziness of consumers... ;)

Lack of Flash and other proprietary media formats is a minor annoyance, at best. IME, the number of Flash-only sites is dwindling as web designers strive to avoid disappointing their visitors. Remember the days of "This site best viewed with "? When was the last time you saw that? The days of Flash-dependence are numbered, IMO...

I have to say that I'm impressed with (and frankly, surprised by) Apple's pricing. The pundits all predicted a price point in the neighborhood of $800. The assumption, of course, was that the fully-loaded price would be higher, as is typical of Apple products. The fact that the fully-loaded price (64GB + 3G/WiFi) is just over $800, with an entry-level price of $499 (16 GB + WiFi) has stunned the industry. Some vendors have to go back to the drawing board:

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20100129PD217.html

Personally, I'll probably order an iPad as soon as I can. More likely one for me and one for Mrs. TDD. It'll be nice for these old eyes not to have to squint at the little screen on my iPod Touch or iPhone when I'm reading email, browsing the web or taking notes in a meeting.

• Members

. It had me ROFL.

As tech reportage goes, that was pretty entertaining. I like her contrarian spunk.

Although I think there are hordes more than 2000 rich techophiliacs* out there who will shell for one.

Maybe it's just my own perspective, but I see a stark and widening divide between those kicked to the ground by the economic plunge and those who managed to slide past mostly unaffected. As I move from sphere to sphere I see once prosperous middle class people who now have to make stark and unnerving economic choices and others who think nothing of dropping the better part of a thousand bucks on a toy. It's pretty interesting.

*techophiliac -- someone who can't stop bleeding out money for tech toys

• Members

Yeah it won't sell as many units but it freakin' takes the cake in abilities.

Any apps for that MSI thing like Jasuto, Beatmaker, or the pro-level audio testing tools that Anderton made videos about?

And lacking multitouch defeats the purpose of a wireless virtual control surface for Pro Tools, Logic, or other DAWs.

• Members
Any apps for that MSI thing like Jasuto, Beatmaker, or the pro-level audio testing tools that Anderton made videos about?

And lacking multitouch defeats the purpose of a wireless virtual control surface for Pro Tools, Logic, or other DAWs.

I was speaking more of a general user than someone wanting one for music production.

Have I forgotten where I'm posting? :p

• Members

I wanted USB and a powerful OS so it could run Reaper, GR4 and soft synths etc. for my mobile songwriting/jam sessions (at work I'll pull over for a long lunch and jam in my truck for a while using my laptop) I don't want to have to have a laptop AND the iPad so for now the laptop is still king. Aggravating because the iPad is so close to being able to eliminate my laptop based on the things I need to do with it. I guess with an adapter the USB is within reach but is there a decent DAW type software that will run on it? I don't need Protools or Reaper but something multi track that can host VST's and has a simple interface and the tracks could be imported into a more sophisticated software in the odd event that I actually compose something worthy of further attention.

iPad 3Gs in 2012 maybe?

• Members

I was there (okay, not AT Yerba Buena, but working in town) and the hype was palpable on the streets, esp. amongst the hipster throngs.

True, once they get flash (yes, Adobe IS working on it) it will be more of a sell, but the more I think about it, the more I see how it will revolutionize a great many fields. For example, it may not be a phone, but what about using one of those internet deals through the built-in mic? If you're on a 3G network, there's your (almost) free phone right there.

Then there are the musical uses: all my Aebersold and Real Books will be much easier to read. I've already configured TouchOSC for Reason and Live, and if someone develops a really good music app, then we won't have to worry about laptop issues (weight, moving parts, etc.). The thing seems zippy enough for the aforementioned uses . . . I think we're barely starting to scratch the surface at the possibilities here.

• Members

I am so sick to death of Apple hype!! this is just a badly designed netbook - doesn't even have a camera and won't ply flash!! yet it gets full coverage in the Tech sections of MSN

The other day I was in a cell phone shop and they had their apple screens facing the customer yet when I checked it was Bootcamp running windows - It's a damn farce!

check out players like samsung - they have around 10 netbook, notebook models with real keyboards faster processors, more RAM and cheaper.

• Members

Then there are the musical uses: all my Aebersold and Real Books will be much easier to read. I've already configured TouchOSC for Reason and Live, and if someone develops a really good music app, then we won't have to worry about laptop issues (weight, moving parts, etc.). The thing seems zippy enough for the aforementioned uses . . . I think we're barely starting to scratch the surface at the possibilities here.

You look like the type of music-oriented user most likely to get an iPad - someone who already uses music apps on the iPhone/iPod Touch. I'm going to try my hand at Beatmaker (the Akai MPC/Ableton Live inspired app) soon. These apps would surely benefit from the bigger screen of the iPad.

• Members

I am so sick to death of Apple hype!! this is just a badly designed netbook - doesn't even have a camera and won't ply flash!! yet it gets full coverage in the Tech sections of MSN

The other day I was in a cell phone shop and they had their apple screens facing the customer yet when I checked it was Bootcamp running windows - It's a damn farce!

check out players like samsung - they have around 10 netbook, notebook models with real keyboards faster processors, more RAM and cheaper.

Don't forget the big one: no multitasking.

I like the idea of this as a large screen portable remote for DAW work.

For consumers, aside from the putative props potentially deriving from being the first one in your local coffeehouse to show up with one, the main use I'm seeing in my crystal ball is as a portable media viewer around the house as well as a sort of BRC for Apple TV-centric home entertainment centers. (Big Remote Control.) Apparently, while there's no multitasking in the normal sense, the Safari browser in the iPad will remember open browser windows so you can apparently control your TV (with the right iPad app) and head back to the same web page you were looking at previous to opening your remote control app. At least that's how I read this: http://zef.me/2748/task-switching-and-open-development-on-the-apple-ipad

BTW, here's Woz on the iPad: http://www.techcrunch.com/2010/01/28/steve-wozniak-ipad-video/

• Members

I think this is has a lot of potential, and I do not think the price is that out of line, especially when compared with something like a Kindle DX at $479.00..No matter what everyone is saying, this has the potential to OWN the next step in this platform. Apple will release/add features when it has them simple and functional, not hacked in, which has been my experience with some of the PC pads. I think in medical, education, sales there is HUGE potential for this exact device...I see medical sales types with those tiny tablets in Panera all the time, and the screens suck, the keyboard is tiny, they are one step form a netbook, and I KNOW they bounce around the $1500-2k price point...I was a bit puzzled by the lack of a camera, but the interface looks like you can adapt it out to damn near any common connector...As a KAOSS type pad, a controller, Live interface, there are so many applications that are outside the realm of day to day, it is nice to have ea solid piece of hardware to look forward to at what I think it a very reasonable price...

• Members

...I see medical sales types with those tiny tablets in Panera all the time, and the screens suck, the keyboard is tiny, they are one step form a netbook, and I KNOW they bounce around the $1500-2k price point...

Just for this market alone, I can imagine training materials, presentations, rich media, targeted "leave-behind ebrochures" that can be sent to a customer's iPhone - and, of course, ordering lunches.

• Members

I like the idea of the iPad, but without Flash, I just don't want it.
Jobs touts the whopping 1 GHz A4 processor in the iPad, and that seems like plenty to support flash. My guess is they just don't want to support flash for some other reason. Perhaps because there's lots of buggy Actionscript code out there that crashes the browser. Or perhaps it is because Flash is much better than Quicktime for web movies. Or perhaps it is because they don't want people getting a bunch of apps for free that don't go through the App store (and Apple's control). I don't know, but until/unless they support flash, I'm not getting an iPad.

Archived