Excited about iPad?

amplayer

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You look like the type of music-oriented user most likely to get an iPad - someone who already uses music apps on the iPhone/iPod Touch. I'm going to try my hand at Beatmaker (the Akai MPC/Ableton Live inspired app) soon. These apps would surely benefit from the bigger screen of the iPad.

I really think beatmaker is the best so far. Although I know Apple specifically asked Propellerhead to make Reason for the iPhone at least two years ago.

Will they (or any of the other biggies) do it yet? Only if they want to give 30% to Apple!

• Members

Absolutely! Most venues don't have wi-fi; at least I've been to shy to ask for the network password in most cases (and the bouncers/goons usually don't know it!). 3G is a bit slower, but you can technically use it anywhere. That's the only appeal of paying for the 3G version. Hopefully AT&T will get its act together and beef up its already-clogged network. Until Wi-Fi is really ubiquitous - like it is in some parts - 3G is worth a look.

Whether you really need 3G depends on the intended usage of the iPad. It seems like most people who say they want one intend to use it at home, presumably on one's own WiFi network.

• Members

Whether you really need 3G depends on the intended usage of the iPad. It seems like most people who say they want one intend to use it at home, presumable on one's own WiFi network.

That's where I see a primary use for regular consumers... as an adjunct to the home entertainment center. Both as a big remote control that you can also browse the web with -- since we already know a lot of folks browse the web and watch TV at the same time (even though it's not multitasking, AIUI, the iPhone version of Safari will 'remember' currently visited websites and open back up to them when you switch to it -- I just hope Safari loads faster on the iPad than it does on the $2500 6 month old iMac I use at one of my client's) -- and as a satellite media viewer.

If the spouse is watching some hideous tearjerker in the den, you just grab the iPad and head off to a bedroom to watch something stored on your media center drive(s).

For audio pros, a similar use might well be as a big remote you can take out into the live room, etc.

• Members

No user-changeable battery? Forget it. I'm not about to send the thing in to Apple and pay $100 or whatever in a couple years when the battery won't hold a charge any more.

I see NO reason why batteries can't be user-replaceable (well I can, actually - high-profit item for Apple!). One of the reasons I got a Zen instead of an iPod was because of the battery issue.

• Members

The no replaceable battery has to do with the size of the housing holding it (replaceable one) and the ability to increase the capacity without a standard removable housing. You do not have to send them in either...you can just go to the store.

I have a current gen macbook pro 13, and I have gotten 6 hours and 43 minutes on it...7 hours is the max quoted, so working on the standard expectation rule of 50% of whatever the manufacturer quotes, that is damn good battery life.

I am sitting here configuring 2 HP miniNotes5101 now with the extended battery. Just doing updates and web for a few downloads, the 9 hour quote is more like 4.

Again, I reference the cost of the Kindle and the iPod touch as far as value goes. I think it could be cheaper, but feature for feature, the cheaper ones stack up pretty well. This is a 1st gen product. It looks well designed...The features will come in Gen 2. I think it is not necessarily a game changer, but rather, a new game all together.

• Members

The no replaceable battery has to do with the size of the housing holding it (replaceable one) and the ability to increase the capacity without a standard removable housing. You do not have to send them in either...you can just go to the store.

I have a current gen macbook pro 13, and I have gotten 6 hours and 43 minutes on it...7 hours is the max quoted, so working on the standard expectation rule of 50% of whatever the manufacturer quotes, that is damn good battery life.

I am sitting here configuring 2 HP miniNotes5101 now with the extended battery. Just doing updates and web for a few downloads, the 9 hour quote is more like 4.

Again, I reference the cost of the Kindle and the iPod touch as far as value goes. I think it could be cheaper, but feature for feature, the cheaper ones stack up pretty well. This is a 1st gen product. It looks well designed...The features will come in Gen 2. I think it is not necessarily a game changer, but rather, a new game all together.

I didn't realize you could take the device to an Apple store for battery replacement. That's cool and makes me feel much better about the iPhone I'll be getting as soon as the next model comes out.

However, I still don't see the iPad as a game changer or a new game. Basically, the only features it has that aren't already in an iPod touch are:

3G (if you buy the higher priced one and also get the AT&T data plan)

Bigger screen

Faster processor

Although Jobs touts it as way better than a netbook, I don't think so.

• Members

I didn't realize you could take the device to an Apple store for battery replacement. That's cool and makes me feel much better about the iPhone I'll be getting as soon as the next model comes out.

Ohhh, you don't already have an iPhone or iPod Touch. That explains some things. ;)

When you get it, feel free to ask away about good apps to check out. :thu:

• Members

Although Jobs touts it as way better than a netbook, I don't think so.

Yeah. Keep in mind that I'm a shameless iPhone groupie, even though I've never previously owned any Apple product. I think the iPhone is effing brilliant, and you can't pry it away from me.

In theory, the iPad is great cuz, well, it's the iPhone with a bigger screen and a faster processor. There's a great 4-track recording app for the iPhone which already supports multi-touch fader movement and pinchable EQ curves - something I've always thought would be a fantastically intuitive interface for a DAW, never mind line drawing envelopes with your fingers and that sort of thing.

But, the truth is I'm not that impressed with the iPad until it can replace my notebook as well as be an iPhone on steroids. And right now, it can't. No way am I going to lug around my notebook AND an iPad AND my iPhone, when the features would be at least 30-40% redundant all the way around.

Now, give me a real notebook that can run a standard OS and software, does multitasking, has USB fercryinoutloud, and a camera, et al, and has that UI - THEN I'll buy it.

And I'm sure it'll get there, but there are already other companies like HP releasing multitouchscreen Windows based notebooks, so who knows how it'll shake out. :idk:

• Members

Ohhh, you don't already have an iPhone or iPod Touch. That explains some things.
;)

When you get it, feel free to ask away about good apps to check out.
:thu:

Got the iPod touch, but no iPhone yet. See, iPhone makes sense to me because even though it doesn't have flash, I don't really care because the screen is too small to consider using it as web browser on a regular basis. I don't use the iPod touch for web browsing, and when I do get the iPhone, I expect to only use Safari for things like looking stuff up on Google when I'm out and about.

• Members

Yeah. Keep in mind that I'm a shameless iPhone groupie, even though I've never previously owned any Apple product. I think the iPhone is effing brilliant, and you can't pry it away from me.

Yeah, well keep in mind that I AM a Mac user. I do use PCs as well, but my main computer is a Mac and I now use the Mac for ALL my audio/music apps.

Eegads, I'm even now programming in Objective-C!

Nevertheless, I absolutely do not share your hatred for Flash. I love Flash. Although I don't need Flash in an iPhone (see above), the lack of Flash on a screen as big as the iPad is a deal-breaker for me.

• Members

One of the reasons I got a Zen instead of an iPod was because of the battery issue.

Actually, swapping a battery out of an ipod is REALLY easy. The problem is that it voids your warranty, so I'm with you. :thu:

I have an ipod mini that's been running solid for 5 years, I had to replace the battery after a year though (I did it myself, not impressed with the batteries apple uses since the replacement has lasted 4 years and the apple one lasted almost 1).

• Members

Yeah, well keep in mind that I AM a Mac user. I do use PCs as well, but my main computer is a Mac and I now use the Mac for ALL my audio/music apps.

Eegads, I'm even now programming in Objective-C!

Sweet, I want to learn Objective C too. But at the moment I'm too busy learning Flex (Flash programming language) for my day job.

Archived